ALAC to FLAC
Feb 14, 2008 at 8:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

gamer539

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, I have some files that I used iTunes to rip into ALAC and I want to convert these files into FLAC so I can play on foobar2000. I don't want to use the ALAC plugin because of the possibility of random crashing. What is the best way or program to convert it?

Is EAC still the top converter used, or something else?

Also, if I convert the files from ALAC to FLAC, will there be any lost in data or bits because both are slightly compressed and not 100% completely raw as WAV files are.

EDIT: Sorry, I may be wrong about any lost in data or bits, but could someone explain this? The way MP3 are compressed, the frequencies (the high ones, i presume) that are inaudible to humans are cut off, and since FLAC or ALAC is still compressed, how are they lossless compared to the uncompressed and raw WAV files?

Feb 14, 2008 at 10:58 AM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by variable114 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
does it do the other way around, too?

interested to know aswell, would rather not convert to WAv then ALAC, rather a program i just rip like 20+ albums of flac to Alac if i end up getting a ipod..

Feb 14, 2008 at 11:34 AM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by variable114 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
does it do the other way around, too?

Yes. Using the dBpoweramp Batch Converter, you can convert multiple files from any lossless format to another. Just make sure you install the required codec plugins.

Feb 14, 2008 at 11:39 AM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by gamer539 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
EDIT: Sorry, I may be wrong about any lost in data or bits, but could someone explain this? The way MP3 are compressed, the frequencies (the high ones, i presume) that are inaudible to humans are cut off, and since FLAC or ALAC is still compressed, how are they lossless compared to the uncompressed and raw WAV files?

I can only give you a non-techy explanation. MP3s decode to resemble but not completely recreate the original file, thus they are lossy. FLAC or ALAC will save less space (but still significant space over the original WAV) by taking truly empty areas, like all that space above 18 or 20 Khz, which is occupying full space in a WAV file and replacing it with a simple command to recreate empty space upon decoding. The result is much less compression than most MP3 formats but a true recreation of the original file, therefore lossless.

Feb 14, 2008 at 4:30 PM Post #7 of 11
I guess you're running MS Windows, right? In that you you have two ways, afaik.
1. Transcode with dbpoweramp
2. Decode to WAV in iTunes, then encode to FLAC in Command Prompt (or using a frontend).
3. Transcode in foobar2000. But then you need the LAC plugin, which you don't like.

Aug 29, 2011 at 7:05 AM Post #9 of 11
Why not just play these files with their current codex from your iTunes library?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back