ALAC sounds bright/harsh compared to FLAC?
Sep 24, 2012 at 5:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

JamesBentley1

New Head-Fier
Hello,​
A few months back I took on the task of converting some of my CD collection (about 200 discs).​
I converted each disc into iTunes and then into MediaMonkey.​
I use iTunes for convenience, but seem to enjoy and listen longer to FLAC recordings.​
To me it just sounds better.​
Going back and forth with listening tests, it seems the ALAC recordings are very bright and harsh compared to the FLAC.​
The only setting I can think of in converting the CD's in iTunes was to check the box for error correction (and Apple Lossless, of course).​
I am pretty sure I chose default settings in MediaMonkey (convert to FLAC).​
Has anyone else noticed this playback trait from iTunes compared to the same track on a FLAC player (same disc/track converted for FLAC playback)?​
My budget allowed for this basic audio rig:​
AudioEngine D1 external DAC​
Sony MDR-V6 headphones​
Any thoughts, suggestions or links are appreciated.​
Kind regards,​
James​

Sep 24, 2012 at 8:28 PM Post #2 of 10
No.

Sep 24, 2012 at 8:43 PM Post #3 of 10
Sep 24, 2012 at 9:47 PM Post #4 of 10
Hi James

The two files are essentially the same (both lossless).  The only difference may be if you are comparing the ALAC in iTunes vs the FLAC with MediaMonkey - maybe one of the players is adding colouration.

Here's an easy way to prove it's not the file format anyway .....

Download and install Foobar2000
Install the abx comparator plug-in
Rip the CD with something like EAC
Use an encoder to encode to FLAC and ALAC (dbpoweramp is good for this)
Load both files into Foobar, level match (the software does it), and run the abx plug-in

Two files, same ripper, same encoder, same playback software - I guarantee if set-up properly you won't be able to tell the difference.

Sep 25, 2012 at 9:42 AM Post #5 of 10
Hi Brooko,

Thanks for your time and this info.
I am all for taking the proper steps, settings and software in order to get the best sound.
I will follow the steps you provided and reply back in a few days.

Sincerely,
James

Oct 2, 2012 at 9:33 PM Post #6 of 10
Hey i have but alac and flac format and i cant see alac as being harsh. aac codec is preety good (+1 for apple), maybe you got a remastered version? i had enrique iglesias greatest hits and i compared a track that i rip from his original 1999 album enrique (rip in alac) and to my surprise it sounded better (clearer and hence it my ears more engaging) , i was shocked. so i had to rip over everything. this make me sceptical when buying greatest hits albums 

Oct 2, 2012 at 10:04 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:
Hey i have but alac and flac format and i cant see alac as being harsh. aac codec is preety good (+1 for apple), maybe you got a remastered version? i had enrique iglesias greatest hits and i compared a track that i rip from his original 1999 album enrique (rip in alac) and to my surprise it sounded better (clearer and hence it my ears more engaging) , i was shocked. so i had to rip over everything. this make me sceptical when buying greatest hits albums 

Different albums may very well have different remastering.  ALAC and FLAC should sound exactly same when:
 - ripped from same CD with same ripper/encoder
 - played with same dac/amp
 - volume matched to same level
 - with same headphones

Oct 2, 2012 at 10:34 PM Post #8 of 10
Greatest Hits albums traditionally use the compressed radio mix rather than the album mix. I remember how shocked I was when I compared songs on the Stones' High Tide and Green Grass to the album versions.

Oct 31, 2012 at 6:27 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:
Different albums may very well have different remastering.  ALAC and FLAC should sound exactly same when:
 - ripped from same CD with same ripper/encoder
 - played with same dac/amp
 - volume matched to same level
 - with same headphones

-heard from the same ears ? lol thats where it gets tricky 

Oct 31, 2012 at 6:36 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:
Greatest Hits albums traditionally use the compressed radio mix rather than the album mix. I remember how shocked I was when I compared songs on the Stones' High Tide and Green Grass to the album versions.

LOL, it is frustrating because i thought i had my flacs in perfect condition, but thats all fixed now 
wink.gif
 , *hears the japanese release of the album*
"wait why does this sound better than my US release version"'  
tongue_smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back