AKG's new "Lifestyle" headphone range- Y50, Y45BT & Y40
Jul 12, 2015 at 9:40 PM Post #46 of 60
Damn, nice review. I'm tempted to get the y40. I'm using an Ath-m40x as my portables which I love but would like to have something lighter that sounds good.

Not sure if you are still interested in the Y40 / Y50. I had the Y40 (gave them away) and just recently picked up the Y50. Can't do a side by side comparison, but from memory, I find the Y50 to be the better of the two. I find the soundstage of Y50 to be wide, and the instrument separation to be really well defined for a portable design. Out of the box, I thought they were a bit murky, but the clarity has improved significantly with continued use (real break-in or my adaptation to the sound- who can say?). For me, the bass on the Y50 is just right. Perhaps a bit emphasized, but really we'll controlled. The detail of the mids and highs is really very good. I prefer the sound of the Y50 over my Senn MOE's. Another area where the Y50 shine is comfort. I have not had a pair of on ears (B&W P5, MOE's, and ML Mikros 90) that come close the Y50 in comfort. I have worn these for 2+ hours without issue.

For the price, these are a real find, in my opinion. I will be taking these on a business trip this week to see how they fare for air travel.

Jul 17, 2015 at 1:30 PM Post #47 of 60
Just picked up y-50 from local electronics store called Gigantti. Discount price 59 euro. Have to say that best 59 euro ever used. :D these cans are just wonderful, ranking them just little below momentum over-ear and par with my modded Philips uptown. These sounded just right out of the box. No need for eq or amp.

Jul 20, 2015 at 9:46 PM Post #48 of 60
Just picked up y-50 from local electronics store called Gigantti. Discount price 59 euro. Have to say that best 59 euro ever used.
biggrin.gif
these cans are just wonderful, ranking them just little below momentum over-ear and par with my modded Philips uptown. These sounded just right out of the box. No need for eq or amp.

I am liking these as well.  I used them on an fight last week and found the isolation to be pretty good...not over ear good, but they passed the test.  I purchased a hard case off Amazon for travel rather than use the bag that came with them.

I am also using them with my JDS Labs C5 and liking what I hear there as well.  I definitely prefer the AKG's over my Momentum On Ears.

Mar 31, 2016 at 4:17 PM Post #50 of 60
Not sure if you are still interested in the Y40 / Y50. I had the Y40 (gave them away) and just recently picked up the Y50. Can't do a side by side comparison, but from memory, I find the Y50 to be the better of the two. I find the soundstage of Y50 to be wide, and the instrument separation to be really well defined for a portable design. Out of the box, I thought they were a bit murky, but the clarity has improved significantly with continued use (real break-in or my adaptation to the sound- who can say?). For me, the bass on the Y50 is just right. Perhaps a bit emphasized, but really we'll controlled. The detail of the mids and highs is really very good. I prefer the sound of the Y50 over my Senn MOE's. Another area where the Y50 shine is comfort. I have not had a pair of on ears (B&W P5, MOE's, and ML Mikros 90) that come close the Y50 in comfort. I have worn these for 2+ hours without issue.

For the price, these are a real find, in my opinion. I will be taking these on a business trip this week to see how they fare for air travel.

Sorry I missed your reply! Thanks your impressions are quite helpful :)

Aug 17, 2016 at 5:07 PM Post #51 of 60
Surprisingly sparse thread... let's inject some life, eh?

I just picked up the black pair this evening for gym use, but naturally giving them a run through at home via the Mojo. At their new lower price of £49.99, these are a bargain.

Struggling to justify the price difference between my Denon MM400s and these!

Dec 4, 2016 at 12:47 PM Post #53 of 60
Oddly, on AKG's website the Y50 costs $5 and didn't charge shiping either. Time to see if it'll work.

http://us.akg.com/Y+50.html?dwvar_Y%2050_color=Black#q=Y50&start=1

Also shows up as $5 on harmankardon.com

Jan 6, 2017 at 12:18 PM Post #56 of 60
Quick question for any Y45BT owners out there, I have been using mine for the Gym, using AptX from my Sony Z5. The treble is noticeably lower than the rest, just wondering if this could be in relation to the BT connection or just the way the cans are tuned? The bass is great, but I am not a basshead by any means and like a nice sparkly treble. Ill try it wired and see if that helps, maybe test this out. 
Jim. 

Mar 29, 2017 at 2:30 PM Post #58 of 60
AKG Y50 have been highly rated by whathifi. yet they've gotten no traction here on this site. any reasons?

I own the akg's. Their sound is really nice but there are almost no mids and its like a beats competitor, it does carry the akg sound but its really not that great with emphasis on bass which make the sound a little bit muffled. The audio is not clear and detailed because of the lack of mids.

Maybe these are some of the reasons.

Dec 15, 2019 at 6:41 PM Post #60 of 60
Couldn't find a thread on the Y55 so I'm posting here. Just balanced modded a few sets of my Y55s along with my Beoplay H6. Replaced the through hole 3 pin 2.5mm with a 6 pin surface mount. These sound even better, one of my favourite cans. I have a set of Y50 still so will balance mod those too. After the mod the original cable can be used for SE

IMG_20191215_154618.jpg IMG_20191215_154715.jpg

I use these Earmax momentum cables

4.4mm
IMG_20191215_233922.jpg

3.5mm SE
IMG_20191215_233837.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back