AKG's Current Lineup
Mar 3, 2010 at 12:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 87

hyper_noodle

New Head-Fier
I've basically been using IEM's for the past 5-10 years (I really don't remember when I bought my first pair), but I've realized that where I am now, they don't really serve the purpose and usefulness they used to. Right now, I use a pair of Phonak Audeo PFE's. So I'm looking to buy a new pair of 'cans and would prefer around-ear ones, but may get on-ear ones if the compromises seem to justify it (price included).

In looking at what's out there now, the AKG lineup has really caught my eye, but I'm having some difficulty finding reviews and technical information (like frequency response plots). I'm trying to weigh the pros and cons of the K142/242, K172/272 and the K701. Any personal experience with these would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I am a bit concerned that in all honesty I may be looking at headphones that are overkill for the way I would listen to my music. The music will be from an MP3 player (Cowon D2), for which I rip at 192kbps.While I don't have a pre-amp right now, I am prepared to buy one if it's necessary. But from what I've read, it seems that a setup like that really isn't suitable for the 701's. I'm wondering if that's true for the 701's as well as possibly for the other models.

Mar 3, 2010 at 1:17 AM Post #3 of 87
AKG's in general are very amp dependent. There are models that do sound fine without an amp, but they're typically lower range ones such as K81DJ's, etc. Most of their other studio and home reference cans will definitely need amping to get the best out of them, and a good one at that.

If you are looking to go ampless route, it's better to look towards Grado or Audio Technica direction.

Mar 3, 2010 at 1:34 AM Post #4 of 87
quite simple. get the 701, get a new amp and rip at 320 at least, get a new source. then all your problems will go away.
biggrin.gif

Mar 3, 2010 at 2:01 AM Post #5 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by debitsohn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
quite simple. get the 701, get a new amp and rip at 320 at least, get a new source. then all your problems will go away.
biggrin.gif

I'll start with WAV / AIFF audio format files, or just sweet CD's. A nice DAC and AMP will let you to get full potential of AKGs, or any other hps.
biggrin.gif

Mar 3, 2010 at 2:07 AM Post #6 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll start with WAV / AIFF audio format files, or just sweet CD's. A nice DAC and AMP will let you to get full potential of AKGs, or any other hps.
biggrin.gif

How about FLAC files?
confused_face(1).gif

Mar 3, 2010 at 2:09 AM Post #7 of 87
Does it have to be AKG's current lineup? I personally, and a lot of members will agree with me, believe that AKG made better headphones in the past, and their current phones are more marketing then substance. Older the better. Do some searching and ye shall find. keywords K501 K500 K401 K400 sextett K340 K1000

Mar 3, 2010 at 2:28 AM Post #8 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmdevils /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does it have to be AKG's current lineup? I personally, and a lot of members will agree with me, believe that AKG made better headphones in the past, and their current phones are more marketing then substance. Older the better. Do some searching and ye shall find. keywords K501 K500 K401 K400 sextett K340 K1000

Unfortunately, beliefs have nothing to do with reality.
tongue.gif

Mar 3, 2010 at 3:10 AM Post #9 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unfortunately, beliefs have nothing to do with reality.
tongue.gif

That may be true to some extent, but my beliefs do have a connection to my own experience because I do not get paid by AKG to fill internet forums full of advertising
wink.gif

Mar 3, 2010 at 3:53 AM Post #10 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by debitsohn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
biggrin.gif

agree. Get the 701 or 702 and an amp to start with. Upgrade your files or source eventually.

Mar 3, 2010 at 4:34 AM Post #11 of 87
The 272 sounds okay without an amp, better with a portable amp, and best with a juicier desktop amp.

But will they sound fine without an amp? Yes. Will some other headphones work better without an amp? Probably. It is my understanding that Grados work much better unamped than many others.

The 701s are definitely overkill, and the 272's may as well with 192kbps music. I've never heard the K142/242 models.

Mar 3, 2010 at 4:48 AM Post #12 of 87
I appreciate all the responses trying to point me in the direction of the best possible sound I could get, but honestly I don't plan on replacing my D2 anytime soon and while I could re-rip my music, the time commitment for that is anything but trivial and I'd be pretty unwilling to do so anytime soon.

So does the general consensus really change at all if I don't plan on making those two changes? Are these suggestions still gonna come out as a worthwhile investment, or would I really be spending too much money on tech that I won't be using to a good advantage?

Also, it doesn't HAVE to be current AKG stuff, but that's what has caught my eye. I looked at some predecessor models to the new lineup, and from what information I could find, it sounded like the new versions are improvements, but maybe that's just information from people with a different opinion.

Mar 3, 2010 at 4:48 AM Post #13 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by SanJoseCanJunkie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 701s are definitely overkill, and the 272's may as well with 192kbps music. I've never heard the K142/242 models.

It is not overkill IF he decides to upgrade his source later. IMO likely because headphones are addictive
k701smile.gif

Mar 3, 2010 at 4:50 AM Post #14 of 87
Unless your media player has a nice, clean line out, it will sound pretty bad when amplified from the headphone out. The K702 is simply too revealing and show you how bad your source is. For un-amped pmps, iems are the best. Get the akg, only if you can get a nice cd player/dac as source!

Mar 3, 2010 at 4:51 AM Post #15 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by SanJoseCanJunkie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 272 sounds okay without an amp, better with a portable amp, and best with a juicier desktop amp.

But will they sound fine without an amp? Yes. Will some other headphones work better without an amp? Probably. It is my understanding that Grados work much better unamped than many others.

Thanks, that's really useful. I'll take a look at Grado's. I personally don't mind the amp from a practicality side, cuz I'm planning to use these at my desk at work, but price may in the end dictate the decision on those.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back