AKGs and setup
Feb 20, 2010 at 7:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

New Head-Fier
What I have now:
AKG 271 MKIIs
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi DAC

I want to upgrade to a pair of AKG k702 headphones but I don't think I can afford getting those and the amp that they would need right now. The cheapest amp I've seen is the Musical Fidelity V-CAN ($199) but even that would be a stretch on my budget. Would it be worth it to buy the amp now for my 271s and save up to buy the k702s later or is there a cheaper amp which would work fine with the k702s? Also would recabling my 271s now from headphile or ZX Cables be worth it as I could use the same cable for my k702s when I get them?

Any answers would be greatly appreciated.

Feb 20, 2010 at 9:18 AM Post #2 of 5
I am a K701 user at this time and I use only a porta amp PA2V2. The sound is just ok, not spectacular like my Grado SR60. I suggest you to buy both K702 and a desktop amp at the same time cos you maybe disappointed with the sound if there is no big desktop amp. Or you might buy first a decent desktop amp before buying a K702. I also suggest you to buy the X-Can V8 instead of V-Can. I do plan an X-Can V8 too.

Feb 20, 2010 at 9:19 AM Post #3 of 5
Save your money for the 702 don't buy crappy amp, just wait till you save for a decent one, don't waste your money, be wise and buy only things you will use, a crappy amp will not drive the 702 properly.

Feb 20, 2010 at 9:27 AM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Guess? /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Save your money for the 702 don't buy crappy amp, just wait till you save for a decent one, don't waste your money, be wise and buy only things you will use, a crappy amp will not drive the 702 properly.

I agree. AKG K701/702 sounds a bit boring, no life, flat, etc. as many headfiers describe if its driven well.

But you can still try to experiment.
Please read my review below:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/gra...g-k701-463718/

Feb 20, 2010 at 4:26 PM Post #5 of 5
Would buying a quality amp now, like the X-Can V8, for my k271s be beneficial considering I don't have a quality DAC? If so, could you guys suggest something more in the 200-300 dollar price range? Same question goes for the cabling, though it's not as important.

Also, my father uses an unamped HD595 (could be 600, not sure) with a similar external sound card, so it would benefit him as well.

Perhaps the Little Dot MK III or MK V?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back