AKGk701 or shure se530's?
Jun 14, 2008 at 4:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

bbbbb

New Head-Fier
i already have a pair of shure se310's and im looking to upgrade. I've considered the ultimate ears triple fi 10's but i find their fit rather uncomfortable after wearing for some time so thats out of the question. I would like earphones that provide good comfort and provide enough clarity in all ranges of music from classical to rock to hiphop etcetc. Also im not sure about amps, in which i keep hearing the k701's must need when im using an ipod as my music device. Thanks for your suggestions, all are welcome.

Jun 14, 2008 at 4:45 AM Post #2 of 7
It depends what you want them for: non portable but best sound: 701's. You also would be better off getting an amp for it.
For portable use and sleep: 530's.
It would help if we have an idea of their intended use.
I ended up with both IEMs and full cans because they serve different needs. (I use UM2's and DT 880's)

Jun 14, 2008 at 4:47 AM Post #3 of 7
K701 is an open phone, meaning you'd be able to hear what's going on outside and people beside you would be able to hear what you are listening, and they need lots of powers. thus making them very unsuitable for portable use.

Apart from practicality many would suggest that they would not be suitable for rock or hip hop, mainly due to their lack of bass slam and punch.

As for SE530, they are designed for portable use. Plenty of bass, provide good isolation, very efficient and small. Somewhat an anti thesis of AKG701 in many aspects. So you got to ask yourself whether you want a home or portable setup.

Edit: Oops, Gilency beat me to it.
biggrin.gif

Jun 14, 2008 at 5:07 AM Post #4 of 7
lol interesting actually i want something that i can use everywhere so ive been thinking that the k701's has a rather large amount of equipment tagging along lol, quite heavy in terms of portability in compared to se530's. But i heard the se530's are rather prone to damage on the wires since they're so thin is that true? my old e4c's had broken wires in a year and a half so im not ready to spend the money for the se530's unless they're pretty long lasting.

Jun 14, 2008 at 12:39 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by bbbbb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i heard the se530's are rather prone to damage on the wires since they're so thin is that true? my old e4c's had broken wires in a year and a half so im not ready to spend the money for the se530's unless they're pretty long lasting.

Yes, it's one of the weak point of se530. There are numerous threads about this issue. So, take an extra care of it! do not pull the cable when trying to plug it off and always put it on the case when it's not being used.

If it's still damaged eventhough you are already very careful, there's 2 years warranty if you buy it from Authorized dealer.

Jun 14, 2008 at 12:43 PM Post #6 of 7
Everything I've read about K701 suggests they have a completely different sound presentation to SE530s...I'm not sure which of the two you've heard, or why you'd compare them?

If the 530 sig appeals, then I would suggest a bassier can.

Jun 14, 2008 at 12:58 PM Post #7 of 7
701 will drain your iPod dry in no time! My 5th generation video iPod with 701 last less than 30 mins. Also it doesn't sound good with just ipod; it requires power. Thus go with in-ear headphone instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back