AKG81DJs for Rock?
Nov 2, 2006 at 2:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

BeNME

Head-Fier
I need a pair of closed headphones for college next year, mainly for rock. Are the 81DJs a good choice?

How about some good, closed all-around headphones?

Nov 2, 2006 at 2:40 PM Post #2 of 10
They are good, and with foam-cover removed they are even better if rock is all you listen, as it brings highs out more and tightens the bass little bit.

Nov 2, 2006 at 5:51 PM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

They are good, and with foam-cover removed they are even better if rock is all you listen, as it brings highs out more and tightens the bass little bit.

Can u elaborate on the 'foam-cover removed' bit?

Nov 2, 2006 at 5:58 PM Post #4 of 10
There is a round, about 2mm thick foam disc that covers the driver. You can pinch it with your fingernails and pull it out, as its only held in place by the pads.

Nov 2, 2006 at 6:11 PM Post #5 of 10
That sounds simple enough
lambda.gif

Nov 2, 2006 at 10:01 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by jilgiljongiljing
That sounds simple enough
lambda.gif

[size=medium]
What is also important is that the process is reversible. Although you have had a couple members tell you that the 81DJ's sound improves with the pads removed, there are others who will tell that they can't stand the increased treble the removed pads unleashes. I prefer to have the pads removed myself. However, make sure you let your own ears be the judge and please keep in mind that you can reverse the procedure if you don't care for the unpadded sonics.
[/size]

Nov 3, 2006 at 4:01 PM Post #9 of 10
Can't comment on 770's but I'll support K81DJ's being well suited for rock. And collage! Since they're durable, foldable and I've found that those DJ earcups are very handy when you have to e.g answer the phone or actually pay notice to other people. They're also fairly easy to wear around your neck.

Nov 3, 2006 at 4:53 PM Post #10 of 10
Yes, now that I have 'em I can safely say that they "rawk" for rock.
eggosmile.gif

DT770's need lots of power, are not portable, and from what I hear, have too much bass punch and are more suitable for gaming and such.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back