AKG701 with Stello HP100 or WooAudio6?
Dec 6, 2008 at 9:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

illy2k

100+ Head-Fier
I am trying to figure out which amp to go with and I am having difficulty deciding. I really love the SS sound but I need to find a headamp that can drive the 701's and other cans such as the DT880's and the HD650's if I were to upgrade.

So there is my dilema. I mostly listen to electronic music like Amethystium, Loreena McKennitt, groups like DMB and some rock.

Those are the two choices, but I am open to suggestions. Thanks guys.

Dec 7, 2008 at 12:24 AM Post #3 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by illy2k /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am trying to figure out which amp to go with and I am having difficulty deciding. I really love the SS sound but I need to find a headamp that can drive the 701's and other cans such as the DT880's and the HD650's if I were to upgrade.

So there is my dilema. I mostly listen to electronic music like Amethystium, Loreena McKennitt, groups like DMB and some rock.

Those are the two choices, but I am open to suggestions. Thanks guys.

The Stello is a very nice choice, especially for the price. Well built and powerful enough to drive pretty much anything.

Dec 7, 2008 at 1:50 AM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by JMCIII /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Stello is a very nice choice, especially for the price. Well built and powerful enough to drive pretty much anything.

Thanks that is what I was hoping for. Do you think it is worth it wait the ~8 weeks for a Headamp GS-1 over the Stello?

Dec 7, 2008 at 3:03 AM Post #6 of 14
Isn't AKG 701 low impedance phone? I read a thread where markl says that low impedance phone is better driven by the SS amp. I have no clue if that's true or not. But, if it is, then I think your pick should be narrowed a bit.

Dec 7, 2008 at 4:37 AM Post #7 of 14
I kinda disagree. Use to pair my K701 with RSA XP-7 and DPS with AD797 OPAMP but the impression is no where new RSA The Raptor. Maybe my taste is not your liking.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tosehee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Isn't AKG 701 low impedance phone? I read a thread where markl says that low impedance phone is better driven by the SS amp. I have no clue if that's true or not. But, if it is, then I think your pick should be narrowed a bit.

Dec 7, 2008 at 5:34 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by tosehee /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Most people say this, but I have know many people who pair the 701 with a valve amp and they love it. For me though I lean towards the clean crispness of SS over valve but as the post says I am open to a good valve like the WA6.

As my previous question asked, for any how much better is the GS-1 then the HP100 and is it worth the almost 2 month wait to get one?

Dec 8, 2008 at 6:29 AM Post #9 of 14
Well, I have Woo6 and I use Triple Fi 10 with it, another low impedance EIM. The sound is great, but I don't know how it would sound with a good SS amp either.

I am sure it will sound great.

As for HP100 and GS-1, I read both are great amp. So, you are not gonna miss whole lot. HP-100 with pre-amp sounds like more value for money and you don't have to wait for it.

That's about all I can think of. I'd go with either whichever one is easier to get and cheaper.

Dec 8, 2008 at 8:52 PM Post #10 of 14
I use my AKG 701 powered with a Little Dot 11+ and it is so much better thaan with my Rega ss headphone amp - absolutely no comparison. With the tubes there is just so much more sweet music.
dt880smile.png

Dec 9, 2008 at 10:21 AM Post #11 of 14
I used my K701s with the Woo WA6SE and the sound was fantastic. Definitely brought out all that is good in the K701s, especially better bass definition.

Dec 9, 2008 at 3:42 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by LarryK2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I Pair it with AKG 701s as well as Senn 650s - they both sound great. Be sure to get the pseudo dual power supply if you go with the Woo.

Yeah I think I am going to go with the WA6SE as my new amp. I just need to wait a few more weeks before I can purchase it
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back