AKG701 vs HD600 _for the price_
Mar 27, 2008 at 1:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

anoobis

500+ Head-Fier
I'd all but pulled the trigger on HD600 when they went out of stock and I came across the AKG 701.

They seem to be getting a lot of praise and from what I can gather, they should be similar but the AKG may well be better. However, as per usual, they seem expensive in the UK.

I should be able to get the HD600 for ~£150. Cheapest I've seen the AKG701 is £200.

Given I've seen figures of ~_$_200 quoted for the AKG, it's not looking good. Can they really outperform to that extent and are they really worth double the US price? Surely not?

Any thoughts or advice on these (other than go and try them, because I don't know anywhere locally that stocks AKG)?

Mar 27, 2008 at 1:53 PM Post #2 of 37
They are actually somewhat similar that they both have the 'reference' sound. when both are properly amped, they actually sound even more similar. I think the 701 is better than the 600 though at that point.

the 701 is Very laidback (last row seat), while the 600 is front row in comparison. the 600 has about 2.5x heavier bass slam, but the 701 can go deeper and accurately. The 701s mids are very clean.

701 gets the looks...the stock cable is a pile and looks cheap. the 600 has detachable split cabling which makes it easier to modify and change.

go try them.

Mar 27, 2008 at 1:56 PM Post #3 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by anoobis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd all but pulled the trigger on HD600 when they went out of stock and I came across the AKG 701.

They seem to be getting a lot of praise and from what I can gather, they should be similar but the AKG may well be better. However, as per usual, they seem expensive in the UK.

I should be able to get the HD600 for ~£150. Cheapest I've seen the AKG701 is £200.

Given I've seen figures of ~_$_200 quoted for the AKG, it's not looking good. Can they really outperform to that extent and are they really worth double the US price? Surely not?

Any thoughts or advice on these (other than go and try them, because I don't know anywhere locally that stocks AKG)?

As always it is subjective as to value. Price vs. one's preference of headphone. I bought 600s used added Cardas cable $200 and I still prefer my K701s over them. I paid $249 for the 701s. They both have their strengths and weaknesses.

Mar 27, 2008 at 2:46 PM Post #4 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by jh4db536 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They are actually somewhat similar that they both have the 'reference' sound. when both are properly amped, they actually sound even more similar. I think the 701 is better than the 600 though at that point.

the 701 is Very laidback (last row seat), while the 600 is front row in comparison. the 600 has about 2.5x heavier bass slam, but the 701 can go deeper and accurately. The 701s mids are very clean.

701 gets the looks...the stock cable is a pile and looks cheap. the 600 has detachable split cabling which makes it easier to modify and change.

go try them.

oops, do you mean HD600 is laid back and 701 is more forward?
biggrin.gif

I myself would recommend trying the 701 before pulling the trigger, because its sound signature is kinda special: you either love it or hate it... the HD600 can satisfy people more easily.

Mar 28, 2008 at 11:14 AM Post #6 of 37
Thanks for the responses so far. I'm still trying to get a handle on the relative price
tongue.gif
erformance of these two.

Someone has already asked if the AKG were worth $400 and was told that they can be had for at least $100 less. The £190 at which I can find them is pretty much $400.

Would anyone argue that they are still worth $400, given that the Senns are about $300?

TIA.

Mar 28, 2008 at 12:40 PM Post #7 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by anoobis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the responses so far. I'm still trying to get a handle on the relative price
tongue.gif
erformance of these two.

Someone has already asked if the AKG were worth $400 and was told that they can be had for at least $100 less. The £190 at which I can find them is pretty much $400.

Would anyone argue that they are still worth $400, given that the Senns are about $300?

TIA.

I would say the 701's are worth whatever you have to pay for them. Even though I got my stock 701's for around $250 (shipped) here in the States, I just ordered ALO-modded 701's (at a significant premium); that's how much I enjoy these 'phones.

Mar 28, 2008 at 1:05 PM Post #8 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by jh4db536 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
701 has above average depth and width perception. very accurate positioning. it's airy, distant, yet clear.

the 600 is actually aggressive for me.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/des...ossary-220770/

Laid-back - Recessed, distant-sounding, having exaggerated depth, usually because of a dished midrange. Compare "Forward"

Hey thanks, I was looking for a glossary like this.

Mar 28, 2008 at 2:07 PM Post #10 of 37
hd650's, 600's and akg k701 can all be hadon uk amazon for ROUGHLY the same price.

Which equates in us dollars to something like 350 - 400

However, when you take into account shipping (usually next to nothing) and import duties and post office charges its easier to get them from the uk.

More expensive purchases however are worth going down the import duty route as you will still save substantially on some purchases.

However, I would just say oe word of caution with regards comparing things on price alone, I have a pair of £250 shurese530 pth and a £140 pair of etymotic research er4p (with p to s adapto) and the ety's stomp all over the shures. Thatsnot to say the shures are crap or not worth the money, it is evident when you hear them that the shure are a very competent and quality iem, just that for me, the ety sound, is far more enticing and accomplished.

Obviously I LOVE the k701 and the ety's and tend to lean towards that clean accurate sound but I can't emphasise enough the importance of NOT trying to judge quality and sound reproduction on cost, it hasn't worked that way with me, certainly with regards to my iem's.

All that being said, and with the proviso that I have yet to hea the hdd 600 and 650 but plan on owning boh, the akg k701 realy should be in everyone's headphone collection.

Having said that, the hd 600 and 650 are patently amongst the cream of the crop with how highly regarded they are on here, so if funds allow more than purchase, either now or over a period of time, if I was yo, I would be seriously considering purchasing both the 701 and the 600.

Mar 28, 2008 at 7:47 PM Post #12 of 37
Well if you do decide to go with the AKG 701s, and you cannot find them under the 400 USD dollar mark. I will ship them to where you live if its not too much and trust me.

We could even do the transaction over ebay and I buy the headphones if it comes down to it.

Mar 28, 2008 at 8:48 PM Post #13 of 37
nothin wrong with riding the k701 bandwagon, its a sweet bandwagon

I only ever had the HD650's, so I can't compare to the hd600's. But I agree completely with what someone else in here said about the k701 being more expansive, airy, accurate in position. It is much better at that than the 650, you lose some of the bass boom with the k701. But my primary concern in headphones is depth and spaciousness cause I love the 3d surrounding feeling when listening to an album and the k701 is best for that I have tried.

Mar 28, 2008 at 10:44 PM Post #14 of 37
I owned both the K701s and the HD600s. I got rid of the K701s. Their frequency response was just too way off for my tastes. I found them too plastic and artificial sounding. All a matter of taste because others obviously love them. The K701s make interesting sounds, but the HD600s make music.

Cost-wise I paid more for the HD600s. They were both used when I bought them.

Mar 29, 2008 at 3:14 AM Post #15 of 37
I have listen to the HD600 briefly, but bought a pair of k701. There is a lot of boom on the HD600, but the upper frequency feels "capped" to me after listening to the k701. A note though is that it takes a proper amp + 300hrs (at least to me) for a proper comparison to take place. The sound stage on the k701 is slightly better than the HD600.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back