AKG501 and MF Cans V2
Oct 27, 2001 at 12:46 AM Post #16 of 54
Neuda,
Please don't take this as an attack against you but have you ever owned (or at least used for a long period) any of the hardware in question here?
I never owned AKG 501 but I do own X-CanV2 and I used to own OBH11/OBH2 combo. The only reason I jumped here was because someone made a statement about X-CanV2 which is by no means universal.
Another question I'd like to ask you, again without bad feelings is have you ever auditioned any Musical Fidelity headamp? I mean, it is easy to have an opinion based on assumptions, but these forums are mainly to share opinion based on EXPERIENCE.
I somethimes allow myself to express an opinion based on a long auditions, which is not always correct I believe.
My point is, one needs hours to days of heavy listening in order to know the equipment well enough to judge it.
Once again sorry if this sound inpolite.

Oct 27, 2001 at 1:03 AM Post #17 of 54
I've never owned or listened to the X-cans, which is why I haven't said anything about my opinion on their sound. Because I don't know how they sound, I've only assumed that they're not a good match with AKG's. From what i've heard so far they probably aren't a good match. I didn't mean to give the impression that i had listened to the combo myself. Sorry about that.

On the other hand, i have listened to the Creek OBH-11SE and K501's during several long listening sessions with kwkarth, and I am farmiliar with their sound. I haven't listened to the RA-1 but like I said, i'm skeptical about their capabilities to effectively power the K501's. Parts quality aside, that amp was built with low-ohm phones in mind. The AKG's need considerable amounts of power, watts even (which is why even the Creek might be running out of gas powering them), before they're being powered properly. Chances are even a basic Cmoy could outperform the RA-1 with the AKG's.

Oct 27, 2001 at 1:10 AM Post #18 of 54
The xcanv2 was mentioned in a negative light which I felt was unfair. I simply wanted to provide an alternative to such all out hatred of what is really a good amp when paired with the right headphones.

I do not see why this requires explanation.

Oct 27, 2001 at 3:35 AM Post #20 of 54
Ok, so this thread is about the pairing of the AKG501 and the MF X-cansV2. It would seen that the consensus is that it is not a good pairing.

Some details: The AKG 501 has a specified impedance of 120 ohms, a sensitivity of 94db/mw and a maximum (I think sustained) input power of 200mw. That's two tenths of one watt delivered into 120 ohms. That's 2.2 volts across 120 ohms. For a sustained 200mw input you would get a sustained 117db SPL. That's pretty loud for sustained listening. More than most could tollerate and certainly damaging to hearing for more than about 5 minutes per day. (a-weighted ref OSHA-2206)
smily_headphones1.gif
YMWNV

Oct 27, 2001 at 5:36 AM Post #21 of 54
Several good points are being made here. One is the fact that the AKG 501 is inefficient. It can take 200mw and I would consider this as a transient occasional really loud bass passage. To supply this needed power with any headroom left requires an amp with some muscle. (In comparison to Sennheisers the 501 has lower impedence but much less efficiency.) Matching this to a tube amp could be difficult, but the same amp would sound great with Sennheisers.
The Grado amp cannot possibly supply the needed power for the 501 as pure wattage or even reserve wattage. The RA-1 has no reserve with the .1 power supply caps. The opamp cannot possibly supply more than 40 mw peak at very low current, any more is an impossibility.
I am finding that a dual opamp per channel is the absolute minimum for the 501. Much better would be an amp with a 250ma buffer. This gives only 50ma of reserve power on peaks and would probably require a non-battery power supply too. So the RA-1 just will not adequately power the 501. Sure you could use it, but it is somewhat like trying to power a 911 with a Beatle engine. Not very exciting.
Dan

Oct 27, 2001 at 5:50 AM Post #22 of 54
Quote:

Originally posted by Daniel Pumphrey
I am finding that a dual opamp per channel is the absolute minimum for the 501. Much better would be an amp with a 250ma buffer. This gives only 50ma of reserve power on peaks and would probably require a non-battery power supply too. So the RA-1 just will not adequately power the 501. Sure you could use it, but it is somewhat like trying to power a 911 with a Beatle engine. Not very exciting.
Dan

Have you verified that in the real world?

Oct 27, 2001 at 6:21 AM Post #23 of 54
Quote:

Sure you could use it, but it is somewhat like trying to power a 911 with a Beatle engine.

Sure, but if you didn't try to drive too fast, maybe no one would notice
wink.gif

Oct 28, 2001 at 12:10 AM Post #24 of 54
I guess X-CanV2 has more than enough power to drive the K501. It is rated at 1 W @ 32 ohms after all. IMO it is the tonal belance that's not good, but I haven't heard the combo, so I better shut up.

Oct 29, 2001 at 4:58 PM Post #25 of 54
Quote:

Have you verified that in the real world?

Of course he hasn't!

Oct 30, 2001 at 1:35 AM Post #26 of 54
this thread is funny. I have heard the 501 with the x-can v2 and compared it to the output from the front of my computer cd-rom. It sounded better out of the cd-rom (actually it was really good out of there). With the x-can, the dynamics were flat as was the soundstage and the bass was pudgy. However, the x-can is really good with the 240DF and with the HD 600, for whatever the reason. Maybe the higher the impedance of headphone the better with this amp? Seems to be the case because they are worst with grados and best with 240's with the results accurately scaled in between based on impedance.

Oct 31, 2001 at 2:15 PM Post #27 of 54
Quote:

Originally posted by RogerCohen
What intro-medium priced amp works best with AKG501?

Sorry to interfere with the X-cans debate, but I'd like to ask if anyone can comment on RogerCohen's second question from his original post. I'd be very interested in hearing about what amps people have tried that do justice to the 501s. Not so much the specs that would be necessary, but experience-based opinion on what sounds good.

Oct 31, 2001 at 2:49 PM Post #28 of 54
Quote:

Originally posted by dgs

Sorry to interfere with the X-cans debate, but I'd like to ask if anyone can comment on RogerCohen's second question from his original post. I'd be very interested in hearing about what amps people have tried that do justice to the 501s. Not so much the specs that would be necessary, but experience-based opinion on what sounds good.

Well, I already answered this question earlier in this thread, but perhaps it was overlooked...

The 501s sound Great with the OBH-11SE and for that matter, I have not heard a good headphone that does not sound good on the OBH-11SE amp.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 31, 2001 at 7:12 PM Post #29 of 54
Kwarth,

I didn't overlook it, but I was hoping to hear some more from people on this topic. Perhaps a few recommendations/possibilities. Especially given DanielP's comments about how most single op amps don't do the 501s justice. (BTW: Is the OB11 a single op amp?)

Oct 31, 2001 at 9:18 PM Post #30 of 54
No! Absolutely not! The OBH-!!SE ia a totally Class A discrete transistor amp with a well regulated outboard power supply. It is a lot of amp for the money!

[size=xx-small]"The OBH-11SE is a class ‘A’ headphone amplifier designed to drive two pairs of headphones (from 30 ohms to 300 ohms) from a line level source. An average output level CD player or Tuner can be connected directly to the input of the OBH-11, or it could also be used in conjunction with other OBH products, such as the OBH-8/9 Phono Pre-amps and OBH-12 passive Pre-amp.
It would also work with a stand-alone pre-amplifier or integrated amplifier lacking headphone output, connected in the tape loop.

The OBH-11SE has been designed with zero feedback and is fully Class’A’ for improved performance. No expense has been spared to enable the OBH-11SE headphone amp to faithfully reproduce a music signal. Only the highest quality components are used in its unique amplifier circuitry, to achieve low distortion and noise, with good stereo separation, including Alps Blue Velvet volume potentiometer.

Great care has also been taken to match the output circuitry to the special requirements of modern dynamic headphones, providing an extremely flat frequency response.

The OBH-11SE has two pairs of stereo phono sockets (RCA jacks) on the rear panel for input from any line level source and chain linking to another product in a tape loop circuit, together with a DC power jack for connection to a custom OBH power supply adapter.

There are two 1/4" (6.3mm) stereo headphone jacks on the front panel. Power Supply requirements. A custom High Grade regulated power Supply (OBH-2) is provided to run the OBH-11SE. This must be connected to the unit via the DC inlet (2.1mm positive centre pin power jack) on the rear."
[/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back