akg ???
Aug 18, 2009 at 5:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

elk0019

Head-Fier
i'm almost setteled to get m-audio q40 after 3 days of tireless research ... i heard they are decent cans but i feel i could afford something more performant, my budget is 200$ and i could easily stretch it a bit more, i have already looked through various audiotechnicas and other headphone brands but i just don't feel like i would be pleased with them... so i'm looking at akg's now..

but i was wondering how good are akg's (gaming,music,movies)?
confused.gif

k240 vs k271 vs k601 vs k701 ...any opinions?
confused.gif

Aug 18, 2009 at 5:57 PM Post #2 of 8
I wouldn't take the 701's or 601's for metal listening.
I heard nice thing about Ultrasone's bass and speed so I would check that out.
My AD700 are nice for metal although I would like a bit more emphasis on bass notes, but they are great for gaming, I used them when I was playing Fallout 3 and the nuclear wasteland came to life with distant explosions in the backgroud and subtle environment noise, plus a really loud bang from the combat shotgun when in combat. The shot sound was really good and reminded me of the real feeling when shooting.

What genre's are you listening to mostly?

Aug 18, 2009 at 7:47 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by elk0019 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
metal/rock/grunge

lol the AKGs are good (arguably) for anything except those genres. Probably one of the worst 'phones you can pair them up with for those genres.

Look into the Grado headphones for the music, and check out either the AD700 or HD 555 for gaming; those seem to be recommended a lot here and on OCN. I just use a KSC75, but I'm not that much into gaming any more.

Aug 19, 2009 at 1:51 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lol the AKGs are good (arguably) for anything except those genres. Probably one of the worst 'phones you can pair them up with for those genres.

Look into the Grado headphones for the music, and check out either the AD700 or HD 555 for gaming; those seem to be recommended a lot here and on OCN. I just use a KSC75, but I'm not that much into gaming any more.

+1, although AKG do make an extremely bassy headphone - basically useless to all bar the true headbangers.

Aug 19, 2009 at 2:19 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by estreeter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
+1, although AKG do make an extremely bassy headphone - basically useless to all bar the true headbangers.

Except the mid-range on it is even less engaging than the K601, thus making it even worse for rock in my opinion
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back