AKG Thunderdome: 4 pairs enter, 1 pair leaves
Jul 14, 2009 at 10:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Leto Atreides II

500+ Head-Fier
I have a K701, a K501 with 601 pads, a K400, and a K240 Sextett. I will be selling three sometime soon.

The K240s are in decent but not great shape. The others are in very good shape.

I don't have any serious amps or sources now, but that may change in the future. In other words, it would be nice if the one I keep will scale well.

I'm leaning towards keeping the K400s. They seem to be the most comfortable. I like the sound of the K240s the best, but I don't want to have to deal with maintaining them -- they are close to 30 years old after all.

Which one would you keep?

Jul 14, 2009 at 11:50 PM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by jellojoe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd say keep the K400 too because I think it's the hardest of the 4 to reacquire should you have any regrets about your decision.

that was something I considered. I think I actually got them on ebay - you almost never seem them there anymore.

Jul 14, 2009 at 11:56 PM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xan7hos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How about including a review of the headphones? Those are all phones I have considered getting, would definitely like to hear your impressions

I've never done a real review before. I might do one.

I only use my headphones with a Zero Dac/Amp and/or my NAD. The source is my laptop with a behringer USB dac. One of the reasons I'm cleaning house wrt the headphones is perhaps with an eye towards upgrading the amp or source.

Jul 14, 2009 at 11:57 PM Post #6 of 16
Actually, I've been using my PS3 as a source a lot too. The Zero is now in my bedroom, and I use the NAD directly out of the behringer with my computer.

Jul 15, 2009 at 1:09 AM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Leto Atreides II /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like the sound of the K240s the best

You have pretty much answered it for yourself.

Between the K400/1 and the K240, they sound different enough to warrant keeping both (and they are both discontinued, vintage products). But if you cannot justify that, keep what you like best.

Cheers!

Jan 2, 2010 at 2:39 AM Post #8 of 16
I still have all of them. Just have no reason to sell them -- plenty of space and not pressing financial issues.

I only ever use the K400 anymore. The K240s just don't fit right -- they slide around a bit. could probably use refurbishing. The K701s are a little on the heavy side, and I don't like the fact that they make noise while wearing them (clicking and sliding sounds from the plastic and headstrap). The K501 has unfortunately developed a driver issue in one channel and it rattles.

Jan 2, 2010 at 3:11 AM Post #10 of 16
^ Have you actually heard all those 'phones? Why does the K701 win?

Jan 2, 2010 at 4:12 AM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Slash47 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

cause he makes money every time he recommends the K702
very_evil_smiley.gif

If it was me, I would ditch the K702 and K501, because you like the K400 the best, and it is also the rarest and he other two sound similar to the K400 (but are in the end inferior in my experience). There's just no reason to own those if you've got the K400, esspecially if the others are busted. And the K240 is a very different sound, and not that expensive, so there's not really any reason to sell it if you like them.

If they don't fit right, by the way, you should get new elastics and ear pads, it makes a big difference to sound and comfort.

Jan 2, 2010 at 4:55 AM Post #13 of 16
Way more comfortable. I would say it muddies up the sound a bit, though.

Jan 2, 2010 at 5:26 AM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Slash47 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have experience with most of the AKG models except the 501, and I do like them but have no use for them in my studio. With a good amp the K-701/2 have better sound resolution a cross the spectrum.

Jan 2, 2010 at 6:30 AM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Leto Atreides II /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Way more comfortable. I would say it muddies up the sound a bit, though.

or does it restore a certain richness that is lacking?
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back