AKG Sextetts - Cable question
Aug 9, 2008 at 10:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Leto Atreides II

500+ Head-Fier
I ordered a pair of AKG-240s a while ago, mainly out of curiosity. I have a 240DF, which does not impress me that much, and a K701, which is one of my favorite headphones.

Well, it turned out they were sextetts. I have not idea what year or anything. And yes, they do live up to the hype. Not that I would give up my 580s or K701s, but these are seriously good. They just seem to do everything well. Not perfect, but I'd definitely put them on the list of headphones that I could stand having as my only pair.

sextet-002.jpg

The headband is bent out of shape, which is only an issue when they're not on my head. The elastic is limp, but I have a huge head so this too is not a problem. The cable is a major annoyance, though. It's flimsy, too short, and seems like it would be really easy to break. I'd appreciate some advice/links in the area of replacing the cable. I am not into the whole cable voodoo thing, but I can easily imagine a nice substantial copper cable sounding better. I think the stock cable may actually be steel.

sextet-001.jpg

Does this little nub thing cover another cable hole? It doesn't matter that much to me, just curious. I actually prefer the convenience of single-sided headphones.

I replaced the pads with DT770 pads. This prevents the cups from touching my ears, and since they have a plastic grille instead of foam, this is a welcome upgrade. As far as I can tell, the sound is not affected at all. I am more of a music/fun listener, so it may very well be that they sound different, but I don't notice any flaws. I did not listen to them with the stock pads for very long, though. The stock pads actually seemed a little too new to be on a pair of headphones in the 25-30 year old range, but I think they are genuine AKG.

I really hope recabling won't require taking the pads off. I had to really stretch the DT770 pads to get them on -- I'm afraid I'll rip them if I have to do it again.

I couldn't leave the DT770s naked, so I had to improvise. I think these are the only leopard skin headphones on head-fi. Don't ask me where I got leopard skin earpads, I have no idea where they came from. They were just sitting in a drawer.

sextet-003.jpg

Aug 9, 2008 at 11:47 PM Post #2 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by Leto Atreides II /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The cable is a major annoyance, though. It's flimsy, too short, and seems like it would be really easy to break.

Both types of the stock cable are ~3 meters long, that's "too short"?
eek.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leto Atreides II /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does this little nub thing cover another cable hole? It doesn't matter that much to me, just curious. I actually prefer the convenience of single-sided headphones.

Yes, both earcups are built identically, and the rubber plug is put on the right side upon assembly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back