Akg Q701 vs Dt 880 a good ballanced sound
Jan 29, 2012 at 10:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Drastion

100+ Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

This is quite an amazing place so many options too many really. I am looking to get a good ballanced set of cans for music and gaming. Budget around 250-300.

I dont want to go too overboard. I dont think the higher ones could be that much better. All my previous phones have been from walmart. So I am guessing I will be floored by anything I buy.

Main things I am looking at are.

Akg q701
beyer dt 880

Denon - 2000 -havent looked into these to much

Also looking for more fun cans. I think I want to get the ballanced ine first as they may have all the bass I want anyways

Dt 990/600
ultrasone - not sure what model though

Jan 29, 2012 at 10:27 PM Post #2 of 21
I'm not sure you are using the word 'balanced correctly'

Balanced - A method of using impedance balanced lines, usually in audio recording, so as to permit the use of long cables without interference by way of common mode noise rejection.   See also "Balanced amp", "Balanced headphones" and "Single-ended".

Are you referring to the cable design or simply a balance of sound?

Really, it appears your trying to figure out what to get...can you let us know your source/amp and music you prefer?

Jan 29, 2012 at 10:39 PM Post #3 of 21
Sorry I am new to this. Maybe natural is a better way to put it. Uncolored?

Lets see music

Metal - korn, pantera, static-x, system of a down, white zombie

Rock - beatles, ccr, hendrix

Pop michael jackson, prince

Rap dr dre, snoop dogg, bone thugs in harmony

No techno or rave type music so no major bass

Jan 29, 2012 at 10:42 PM Post #4 of 21
What sourse(s) are you going to be plugging the headphones into?
Do you have a headphone amplifier?
Which Ohm rating were you looking at for the DT880?

Jan 29, 2012 at 10:57 PM Post #6 of 21
No problem, I saw your question and thought maybe you were headed straight to the top in equipment.

If your list is based on your preferences (Metal first, Rap last) based on your list, I am assuming you do not have an amp.

with $300,

(1) I would recommend picking up an amp...even a simple E9, sound cards tend not to drive higher headphones, and even my Grado SR60's which unamped are great!  But a simple USB amp ($30...seriously!) helps quite a bit...so thats a thought...depending on your source, you may want a DAC as well, some are all in one unit...just keep that in mind.

(2) With Metal being a priority I would look at open cans, they tend to have more highs and mids than closed, just based on the design.  I had a pair of the K701's which are similiar to the Q's, and I will say I liked them alot for metal, I once told Arainach they were like Grados but better.  Big soundstage, and very 'accurate' sound.  I didn't feel that the can was alot of "fun" but I loved the detail.  I never did listen to it unamped, so I cannot comment if that would be a way to go.  

I have not heard any other pair you are comparing it to...but I would suggest you to check out the HD598 might be a good fit too based on the reviews I have read.  It too, seems to be drive okay without an amp.

(3) I would make a suggestion to pick up a pair of Grado's, even the SR60i (used around $40-50, new around $60/70) they are the only pair that managed to survive into my 'now I have kids' stage, and for metal and rock, they are very good, and do not need an amp to get what you want.  

Jan 29, 2012 at 11:00 PM Post #7 of 21
What sourse(s) are you going to be plugging the headphones into?
Do you have a headphone amplifier?
Which Ohm rating were you looking at for the DT880?

It would be a O2 amp from what I heard its great for what I need. It would be the 600 ohm. It shoul be strong enough for it I dont like loud music just peacefull guiet listening

For a budget I am pretty open. Got a new job that pays 3x my old one. But I am still pretty steeped in minimum wage spending habits. So my savings have pile up a bit. I mean I could afford a beyer t1 but I am pretty practicle. Since I dont watch any tv I still use a 26" crt hooked to my ps3.

Jan 29, 2012 at 11:13 PM Post #8 of 21

Quote:
Hi everyone,
This is quite an amazing place so many options too many really. I am looking to get a good ballanced set of cans for music and gaming. Budget around 250-300.
I dont want to go too overboard. I dont think the higher ones could be that much better. All my previous phones have been from walmart. So I am guessing I will be floored by anything I buy.
Main things I am looking at are.
Akg q701
beyer dt 880
Denon - 2000 -havent looked into these to much
Also looking for more fun cans. I think I want to get the ballanced ine first as they may have all the bass I want anyways
Dt 990/600
ultrasone - not sure what model though

The DT880 should work better for you based on your preferences.
(Specifically the DT880 250 ohm 2005 version.)

You'll get somewhat more bass.
You'll also get a somewhat smaller soundstage, but you won't know that without having heard the Q's.  :wink:
Easier to drive and less clinical sounding.
More suited to rock/pop than the Q701.

They're definitely one of the best all around headphones in their price range.

Jan 29, 2012 at 11:51 PM Post #9 of 21
The 880 are the ones I want the most. But I also want to also use them with an astro mixamp. People say they dont show rear sounds well. So thats why I am looking at the q701 as an alternative. There is just such a huge amount of different phones out there its hard to know where to start. I thought getting a guitar was a hard decision boy was I wrong.

I want to get two headphones and just keep the one I like. Just want to make a good first choice so I dont spend 500+ and feel like I wasted money.

Jan 30, 2012 at 12:04 AM Post #10 of 21
I agree, choosing a guitar is extremely easy compared to choosing headphones bahaha. But I sort of like the "buy all the guitars" method; however, I'm a college kid so that doesn't work in the slightest.

As for headphones I am stuck as well, but I haven't had any help yet in my thread or the help thread. My musical preferences are a little different than yours but I too have been looking at the same cans. I am leaning away from the q701s since some people on this forum want a more warm can and say they aren't the greatest for metal/rock, but after so much research the subjectiveness of audio starts to take its toll haha. The q701s are drop dead gorgeous though, so much so I am almost willing to start a headphone collection and have phones for different genres. But again, as a college student it isn't the best idea lol.

Quote:
The 880 are the ones I want the most. But I also want to also use them with an astro mixamp. People say they dont show rear sounds well. So thats why I am looking at the q701 as an alternative. There is just such a huge amount of different phones out there its hard to know where to start. I thought getting a guitar was a hard decision boy was I wrong.
I want to get two headphones and just keep the one I like. Just want to make a good first choice so I dont spend 500+ and feel like I wasted money.

Feb 4, 2012 at 6:54 PM Post #11 of 21
Hey. I have both the DT880 PRO 2005 250ohm and the AKG K702, (not Q701). I prefer the AGK's much more as to my ears, they sound more refined and detailed. Highs and mids just shine through most of the tracks I listen to and some notable mention are Adele, Katie Melua, Norah Jones, Dire Straits, Eric Clapton and Michael Jackson. A simple comparison that I've done that greatly separates the two to me is the score from John Powell's, "How to Train Your Dragon - See You Tomorrow", in that the DT880 seems to be lacking detail and separation and the highs just aren't there to my ears while the K702 presents every detail just gorgeously and that song just comes to life because of that.

However, it is the AKG K702, not the Q701, Quincy Jones but from what I heard, they don't sound much different but I wouldn't know this as I haven't read up on it nor, do I own the Q701's.

To summarize, the AKG's, in my opinion, greatly excel in any musical genre I threw at it, and it can be seen in those Artist I listed and most, if not all acoustic tracks and unplugged sessions.

Feb 5, 2012 at 3:35 AM Post #13 of 21
Looks like the q701 are the ones.

Chicolom a poster here is making a writeup comparing tne k702 to the q701. Looking forward to reading it. The extra bass with the qs should make them more enjoyable.

Feb 5, 2012 at 5:45 AM Post #15 of 21
That's for the K701, which I would agree. The Q701 (at least recently) seems to be a warmer, fuller, more natural headphone. I'm not convinced yet, but I'm hopeful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back