AKG Q701 vs Astro A50
Jan 11, 2013 at 4:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

hewhogamez

New Head-Fier
So I am in the market for some new headphones. I have some Klipsch S4i for portable listening so these headphones will be used at home. I currently use the Blue Yeti microphone with a pair of ATH-M50. I will use these primarily for gaming and I have a separate amp to make the AKG701 7.1 surround sound. So no need to say that Astro A50 has an unfair advantage of being 7.1 surround sound. But the A50s are closed back while the 701s are open back. So I want to know which would have the clearest sound? Sorry for the somewhat long post. And thanks in advanced.

Jan 11, 2013 at 5:49 PM Post #3 of 24
The akg should CRUSH the astro's

Jan 11, 2013 at 6:31 PM Post #7 of 24
If you can amp them, AKG without question. They astros are good for gaming and horrible for everything else. but the akgs own them at literally everything.

I agree. But if your only going to use these for gaming, you'll be happy with either one. Of course with the akg you'll be able to use them with more than just gaming.

Jan 11, 2013 at 6:46 PM Post #8 of 24
I have the AKG's
They are excellent, a little bit on the flat side in terms of bass, but it has very even bass response. they are by no means bass anemic.. but it wont shake your head.
The mid range is very good. vocals, male vocals impress me a lot.
they are second to very select headphones in terms of positioning. the astro A50 is not on this list however.
The treble is a little on the bright side.. but i have Grado's too so its all good. :p

I cant recommend the AKG's enough though.

However i do think you should take a look at MLE (Mad Lust Envy)'s gaming headphone guide. It provides excellent information on the subject

Jan 11, 2013 at 7:19 PM Post #9 of 24
Astros sound decent, but not 300$ decent (probably around 150$). I have a pair of them, and the only reason I have them is due to the fact that it's wireless. They'll definitely sound "fuller" than the Q701s, but won't compete in terms of overall quality.

Jan 11, 2013 at 7:27 PM Post #10 of 24
Q701, NO question.

Jan 11, 2013 at 7:39 PM Post #11 of 24
Quote:
If you can amp them, AKG without question. They astros are good for gaming and horrible for everything else. but the akgs own them at literally everything.

Well I have two amps at the moment. One I use for my mobile use. The Fiio E6. And then the Astro Mixamp 2013. Which I use with my M50s right now. I think I'm leaning a bit torwards the 701s. Although they lack a little bass I have my M50s if I need that.

Jan 11, 2013 at 7:41 PM Post #12 of 24
Quote:
Quote:

Well I have two amps at the moment. One I use for my mobile use. The Fiio E6. And then the Astro Mixamp 2013. Which I use with my M50s right now. I think I'm leaning a bit torwards the 701s. Although they lack a little bass I have my M50s if I need that.

Get it! No A50!

Jan 11, 2013 at 9:02 PM Post #15 of 24

Users who are viewing this thread

Back