AKG Q701 or Sennheiser HD 598?
Oct 21, 2012 at 11:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

kebbin15

100+ Head-Fier
Which one is better for all genre? And wider soundstage?

Oct 26, 2012 at 1:40 AM Post #4 of 6
Quote:
Which one is better for all genre? And wider soundstage?

Q701 has wider soundstage. Is it better? Hell no. Awful imaging between left/ right channels, with no clear center. The soundstage is so big that all the tension and energy are often dispersed and makes music distant sounding. 

The HD598 - and many of the Sennheisers in general - is fantastic for all genres. It's quite versatile. It can sound a bit slow for really speed demanding music although that's a very small flaw. 

Oct 26, 2012 at 1:52 AM Post #5 of 6
You have to listen to both, personally i love the HD598's. 

Oct 26, 2012 at 10:00 PM Post #6 of 6
HD-598 and Q701 handle all genres equally well IMO. There's not a genre I think the HD-598 does better really. The 598 doesn't really have more bass, quantity is about the same or very similar.
I actually think the Q701 has a little more bass maybe. Neither have much low-bass.

I've never felt the Q701's soundstage was huge. Compared to that of the HD-600..then of course. It's not much bigger than that of the HD-598.

If you check reviews, there's going to be very few people who claim this nonsense about it having horrible imaging and no center image.
I'm not sure how one could get that result with the Q701, but maybe it's possible. My opinion is that the 598 actually has worse imaging.
I noticed this a lot when comparing it to my old K601. That actually has better imaging than the Q701 and a lot of it has to due to the pad design. No kidding.

Music can vary between being very upfront and distant depending on what's IN the recording. The Q701 won't magically make anything sound distant when it's meant to be upfront sounding.
The K702 did that a bit. Maybe I have a magical Q701.

There's not a massive difference between the 598 and Q701. Q701 has more upper mids and treble. 598 is smoother sounding I think due to this. It seems almost a bit too forgiving with bad (garbage tracks) music, but I guess that's a good thing.
I used to say the 598 has fuller mids than the Q701, but now I don't know..this is even with a neutral amp and the ODAC.

Somehow I haven't listened to my 598 is maybe 6 months.

NOTE: I think many who like the 598 will also like the Q701. People who generally hate the HD-600/650 tend to like the 598.
Sometimes I think people either prefer the Sennheiser sound or an AKG type sound. I usually hate any headphones that's too warm sounding. HD-600 pushes my limits really, but 598 is perfect.

I guess now that I got into talking about the 598 (former #2 favorite behind the DJ100) i'll have to listen to it tonight. Maybe compare it to the Q701. I think at one time I might have said the 598 had the edge for female vocals against the Q701, but probably not anymore.
I stopped trying to overanalyze my headphones since it's annoying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back