AKG Q701 onboard?
Aug 4, 2013 at 6:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

xD4rkFire

New Head-Fier
I have a pair of AKG Q701's but I don't have any sound equipment yet. Right now I'm using these pair of headphones on my onboard. My motherboard is a MSI Z77A-GD65 which the Realtek ALC898 audio codec. My question is: should I stick with my Phillips pair of headphones for now until I get an amp for the Q701 or should I just use the Q701 with the onboard? Any help would be appreciated. :)

Aug 4, 2013 at 6:35 PM Post #2 of 9
Best sound improvement you're will get is always going to be the transducers (headphones) - so if it was me, I'd get the Q701s (I owned them up until a few weeks ago).  Whilst they really do need a decent amplifier to get the best out of them - they can surprisingly be driven (and still sound decent) out of even an iPhone4 (I know - I've tried).

You will notice differences (particularly in bass response) as you give them more power though.

So - my recommendation would be to get the Qs, use your mobo, and upgrade to a better source/amp set-up as you can afford it.

Aug 4, 2013 at 6:42 PM Post #3 of 9
Oh, I already have the Q701's. The only problem I'm having with them right now is that I can't get them as loud as I'd like. I don't know though, using my Phillips compared to the Q701 right now, I find that the Phillips sounds better.

Aug 4, 2013 at 8:20 PM Post #4 of 9
I can't comment on the Philips - I haven't heard them.  If you can't get loud enough on the Q's - then you're really under-powering them, so adding an amplifier is really your only choice.

If you want a relatively budget option (dac and amp) - then I'd suggest the Audio-gd NFB 15.32 (http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB15.32/NFB15.32EN.htm).  I loved the set-up with my Q701s when I had them.

Aug 5, 2013 at 12:27 AM Post #5 of 9
My question is: should I stick with my Phillips pair of headphones for now until I get an amp for the Q701 or should I just use the Q701 with the onboard? Any help would be appreciated. :)

Since you already have both, you should do whatever sounds best to you and ignore what anyone else says :)

Aug 5, 2013 at 12:58 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:
Oh, I already have the Q701's. The only problem I'm having with them right now is that I can't get them as loud as I'd like. I don't know though, using my Phillips compared to the Q701 right now, I find that the Phillips sounds better.

The Asus Xonar DG sound card comes with a basic headphone amplifier, so i would assume it would make the Q701s louder, but not sure on how much.
But the Xonar DG is $30 and there is a $10 mail in rebate this month.

Aug 5, 2013 at 1:01 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:
Would the amp on the Sound Blaster Z be sufficient to power the Q701? 

I would assume the Sound Blaster Z can drive the 62-Ohm Q701s,
but you might want ask on this thread about what works well at driving the Q701s.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/582276/q701-appreciation-thread

Aug 5, 2013 at 3:20 AM Post #9 of 9

Users who are viewing this thread

Back