AKG Q701 Lima Been Green
Jan 26, 2012 at 1:01 AM Post #16 of 35
i use my q701 with a valhalla. i agree that they are not "ideal" for rock. the vocal in a rock track (eg coldplay - in my place) seems distant, and doesnt have the presence as other types of music. this doesnt mean that they are bad.

electronic is surprisingly alright with the q701, but where it really shines, is jazz, acoustic, and vocals. go listen to some norah jones, adele, or even louis armstrong, the clarity, and the warmth with my setup is amazing. the texture of vocals is superb.

Jan 26, 2012 at 1:08 AM Post #18 of 35

Quote:
Ugh, sorry, asked this on multiple threads already but, I'm a metal listener, primarily prog, death, punk, etc very little acoustic on the side. Anyway, I really like the K240 MKIIs and I've been told the Q701s are rather similar in the sense that the sound signatures are the same. I love these K240 MKIIs and I can properly amplify the Q701s akglajfda;fskfja. Sorry, I'm all over the damn place but getting to the point; I really like the Q701s and because I like the K240 MKIIs, do you think the Q701s are suited?

Sir I ask you kindly to leave.
None of that metal ruckus here. Only classy music such as Katy Perry, Ke$ha and Drake shall be tolerated.

Jan 26, 2012 at 1:10 AM Post #19 of 35
Haha, sorry about that... I just am kind of in a rush to gather some information. I'd also rather not start another Q701 thread and my other post isn't getting any replies. Anyway, again, apologies but any help will still be appreciated.

Ughh, and sadly I know people who would tell me that exact thing about metal, say it's crap, be immature and tell me to listen to grown up music like Katy Perry and all those artists you named.

(Yeah, I knew you were kidding, haha. The people I talk about are dead serious, though, they'd take a bullet for any one of those people and it's embarassing.)

Forget anything I say between those lines, off topic crap. :p

Jan 26, 2012 at 1:14 AM Post #20 of 35
I was kiding man. I used to listen to metal along side pink floyd and led zeppelin your tastes will mature but i have another question about the denons. Will sound leak from outside? They arent as cool looking as the q701s and i really want cool cans any other options. WHAT AMP???? and if not il go with them

Jan 26, 2012 at 1:39 AM Post #22 of 35
At this very moment I'm listening to the AH-D 7000s with a Nuforce Icon  retail $229.00 amp. The blue one.

http://amazon.nuforce-icon.com/search.htm?keyword=icon+1

I'm playing a 256 kbps Mp3 file in I-Tunes with the USB from a laptop. Not perfect by any levels but warm and fuzzy, simple fun.

Lossless Rules though.

Closed back headphones have a little level of keeping the music from leaking out. I do wake my Wife though if I play them at loud levels at night.

Many believe closed headphones are better for rock. I have not heard it but I would guess the AH-D 5000s would be good with the Icon.

Another great system I have heard is the HD650s and the Woo3. Maybe not the total best for rock, but a super warm and fun long listening sound signature. I could play it for hours.

Jan 26, 2012 at 1:41 AM Post #23 of 35
Quote:
Ugh, sorry, asked this on multiple threads already but, I'm a metal listener, primarily prog, death, punk, etc very little acoustic on the side. Anyway, I really like the K240 MKIIs and I've been told the Q701s are rather similar in the sense that the sound signatures are the same. I love these K240 MKIIs and I can properly amplify the Q701s akglajfda;fskfja. Sorry, I'm all over the damn place but getting to the point; I really like the Q701s and because I like the K240 MKIIs, do you think the Q701s are suited?

I would say the K240 and the Q701 sounds really different, at least to me, the K240 is really laid back, slow and a bit "syrupy" sounding... which could be good for long listening sessions with less fatigued, the Q701 is really quick sounding, with not much to no decay with the bass, while the K240 is really the opposite.... There is definitely a lot more bass with the K240, however, I missed out a lot of details with the K240s as compared to the Q701, as I feel the highs on the K240s are somewhat recessed

Jan 26, 2012 at 10:34 AM Post #24 of 35
Do I need and amp for the denons. Would you go with the 2000 or 3000 I'm having trouble justifing that much more. If I need an amp are there any sub 100 dollar ones for the cans

Jan 26, 2012 at 3:11 PM Post #25 of 35
Maybe the K601?  I listen to more metal than rock but its nicely balanced and does well with with pretty much everything I've put through it so far.  It has the same basic design as the 701s but in a more subdued color.

The Denon's leak just as much as many open phones and don't have much isolation either.  Their mild loudness curve can let you listen comfortably at low volumes or add a little "excitement" if you turn it up a bit.

In regards to an separate amp, what do you already have a DAP, stock sound card, receiver, etc?

Jan 26, 2012 at 3:19 PM Post #26 of 35

Quote:

Maybe for some types of prog rock, the Q701 would be acceptable. Everything else like thrash and death demand another headphone. My suggestion for pure metal in an open headphone would be mid-high end Grados and the Beyerdynamic DT990.

Quote:
whihc dt 880 there seem to be a few link maybe please thanks

The general consensus is that the higher impedance (250, 600) versions of the DT880 will generally perform a bit better than the lower when properly amped. However, they require quite a beefy amp to power them, especially the 600 ohm. I had the 600 ohm DT880 and can attest to the fact that they were superb on an appropriate set-up.

Quote:
I actually really like the denons but will i notice a diffrence since they come standard as a 3.5mm jack. Whats a good amp for those cans

The Denons are very easy to drive and will benefit from an amp, but do not require one. Almost any budget amp can power them well.

Jan 26, 2012 at 4:21 PM Post #27 of 35
Any Fiio Amps for the denon u recommend and u didn't my answer my question about 6.35mm vs3.5 mm is there a quality difference also would u go with the dt880 or denon 2000

Jan 26, 2012 at 4:23 PM Post #28 of 35

Quote:
Maybe the K601?  I listen to more metal than rock but its nicely balanced and does well with with pretty much everything I've put through it so far.  It has the same basic design as the 701s but in a more subdued color.

The Denon's leak just as much as many open phones and don't have much isolation either.  Their mild loudness curve can let you listen comfortably at low volumes or add a little "excitement" if you turn it up a bit.

In regards to an separate amp, what do you already have a DAP, stock sound card, receiver, etc?

Ive got a really old Sony digital reciver like an str 935 or something I can check but other than that no amp

Jan 26, 2012 at 4:23 PM Post #29 of 35

Quote:

Ive got a really old Sony digital reciver like an str 935 or something I can check but other than that no amp

Jan 26, 2012 at 5:22 PM Post #30 of 35
Quote:
Any Fiio Amps for the denon u recommend and u didn't my answer my question about 6.35mm vs3.5 mm is there a quality difference also would u go with the dt880 or denon 2000

To a first approximation the jack size doesn't matter at all.  The E9 would be good for the 600 ohm 880s but not as good with the Denons.

Quote:

Some receivers have decent headphone outs and others have awful ones.  You could get the headphones first and try them with what you already have.  Also, what's you source?  CD player, computer, DAP, etc...

Fiio has some decent stuff for good prices but none of their stuff is that versatile.  Which one to get would depend on the headphones you decide on

Users who are viewing this thread

Back