AKG Q701 Lima Been Green
Jan 25, 2012 at 11:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

Ajax

100+ Head-Fier
So aside from the teenage mutant ninja turtle green are these decent headphones for Rock (the who, the police, pink floyd). What amps do you use. I wanna get to know what you akg Q701 owners think of your headphones. Is there leak what color do you have etc. Thanks for your replies

Jan 25, 2012 at 11:40 PM Post #2 of 35
The K/Q70x do many things exceptionally well, but rock is unfortunately not one of them. They have the speed, but completely lack the required bass presence and punch and IMO sound too thin and uninvolved. If you listen to plenty of acoustic music, I would wholeheartedly recommend these cans, but they fall flat on most popular genres because of their lack of bass response. Look elsewhere if you want a dedicated rock phone.

Jan 25, 2012 at 11:54 PM Post #5 of 35

Quote:
sorry for double post but are there any amps that could add bass

Nope. You can just EQ them if you want. Not enough of a difference. No amp can magically give it say 5% more bass that I'm aware of. If it does I'll be sure to avoid that one. I don't find the Q701 bass light at all. Just not much bass impact, just like my KRKs.

Quote:
The K/Q70x do many things exceptionally well, but rock is unfortunately not one of them. They have the speed, but completely lack the required bass presence and punch and IMO sound too thin and uninvolved. If you listen to plenty of acoustic music, I would wholeheartedly recommend these cans, but they fall flat on most popular genres because of their lack of bass response. Look elsewhere if you want a dedicated rock phone.

Is this your opinion for the Q701 or haven't you heard it? Just curious.

On any amp I've tried with the Q701, it's never ever EVER been too thin or uninvolving. Sure, it's not like an HD-600, but I don't agree the Q701 is bad for rock. Of course I'm one of those that think the Q701 is different than the K701.

You'll never see me group the Q701 in with the K701
biggrin.gif

Jan 25, 2012 at 11:55 PM Post #6 of 35

Quote:
sorry for double post but are there any amps that could add bass

I don't think that there is any amp out there that would suddenly turn these into rockers. EQ would be your best choice but I don't know how they would respond and it is out of my area of knowledge. I still feel that the soundstage would sound wrong for rock. Think of it as sitting on a high balcony of a concert hall looking down on a performance. You can pinpoint everything that is happening in the performance, but it wouldn't be very involving.

The Beyerdynamic DT880 would provide a similarly detailed and analytical sound. It would also have more bass impact and a generally more appropriate soundstage for rock. Think of it as a more refined and polite Grado. The Sennheiser HD600 is also another gold standard for rock (and most everything else) IMO.

Jan 25, 2012 at 11:59 PM Post #7 of 35
They do electronic somehow well, even though the bass is not totally there. Somehow electronic bass is better on the AKGs. They do male and especially female vocals really really well. Any album from Dead Can Dance sounds life changing on em. They just don't have the PRaT or authority to do metal or rock well. Maybe a pair of Denon AH-D7000s for rock and metal. There may be better as I have not tried all the headphones for sale.

Even with a super powerful amp they still never get there with rock or metal. It is enjoyable but there is a small part of the tone and energy missing even on the mega amps.

Jan 26, 2012 at 12:05 AM Post #8 of 35

Quote:
Is this your opinion for the Q701 or haven't you heard it? Just curious.

On any amp I've tried with the Q701, it's never ever EVER been too thin or uninvolving. Sure, it's not like an HD-600, but I don't agree the Q701 is bad for rock. Of course I'm one of those that think the Q701 is different than the K701.

You'll never see me group the Q701 in with the K701
biggrin.gif

I'll be honest in the fact that I have never heard the Q701, only the K702. I also may have a slight bias in the thicker sound of the Sennheisers that I own. Although the sound may have changed, I doubt that suddenly the Q701 will become one of the rock staple phones, although the improvements may be quite audible. I just mention the fact that the OP may just want to consider another phone if rock is going to be 75+% of his listening time. I personally listen to a lot of classical music, and I admit that the AKGs can be pretty special here. Maybe I should give the Q701 a listen and see if they have increased bass response.

Jan 26, 2012 at 12:14 AM Post #9 of 35
Thanks for your replies are there any additional phones you guys recomend for rock i should mention i cant spend more than 400 on a phone amp combo. I do have an old Sony str de 935 and was wondering if i could use that as an amp. I do really admire the looks of the akg phones as well as the hd 600s so right now im leaning towards those

Jan 26, 2012 at 12:35 AM Post #10 of 35

Nope. I don't think I'd ever suggest the Q701 for rock. They good for this, but not great. Q701 made it slightly better. One reason is the slightly smaller and more accurate soundstage.
The Q701 doesn't have the thicker mids of the HD-600 or even the HD-598, but it's a little better than the K702 I had (with same amp). Not sure why.
It's weird saying this, but now this that my Q701 is a good all-around headphone and does everything well, just like the HD-600. HD-600 definitely has more bass I think, so that's one advantage.
I've never compared the Q701 to the HD-600 though. Had both the K702 and HD-600 at the same time once.

Overall, I think the Q701 have a little bit of extra mid-bass than the K702. That's the way I'm hearing it. AKG didn't turn it into a bass monster or anything. It'd be ruined.
Still not much bass impact really.

DT-880 would be my suggestion. Sure wish I could use those but they don't play well with my head. I must be the only person in the world who can't use the DT-880, yet the DT-770 Pro is a perfect fit!
Quote:
I'll be honest in the fact that I have never heard the Q701, only the K702. I also may have a slight bias in the thicker sound of the Sennheisers that I own. Although the sound may have changed, I doubt that suddenly the Q701 will become one of the rock staple phones, although the improvements may be quite audible. I just mention the fact that the OP may just want to consider another phone if rock is going to be 75+% of his listening time. I personally listen to a lot of classical music, and I admit that the AKGs can be pretty special here. Maybe I should give the Q701 a listen and see if they have increased bass response.

Jan 26, 2012 at 12:42 AM Post #11 of 35
I should have asked you first thing if you were looking for a closed or open headphone. In that price range, I would stand by the sennheiser HD600 as my top pick for an open rock headphone (if not Grado) with the DT880 or even DT990 trailing a hair behind. For closed headphones, I think you have even more choices, but I have not listened to many closed headphones. I hear that the Denon AHD2000 is a great closed headphone for rock that won't break the bank, but I have never heard them personally.

Jan 26, 2012 at 12:54 AM Post #12 of 35
Do opens leak in or just out. Its not a huge issue for me but i can always get some low grade ****ty in ears to use if I'm on a plane. What are the advatnages of open or close and disadvantages

Jan 26, 2012 at 12:55 AM Post #13 of 35

Quote:
Nope. I don't think I'd ever suggest the Q701 for rock. They good for this, but not great. Q701 made it slightly better. One reason is the slightly smaller and more accurate soundstage.
The Q701 doesn't have the thicker mids of the HD-600 or even the HD-598, but it's a little better than the K702 I had (with same amp). Not sure why.
It's weird saying this, but now this that my Q701 is a good all-around headphone and does everything well, just like the HD-600. HD-600 definitely has more bass I think, so that's one advantage.
I've never compared the Q701 to the HD-600 though. Had both the K702 and HD-600 at the same time once.

Overall, I think the Q701 have a little bit of extra mid-bass than the K702. That's the way I'm hearing it. AKG didn't turn it into a bass monster or anything. It'd be ruined.
Still not much bass impact really.

DT-880 would be my suggestion. Sure wish I could use those but they don't play well with my head. I must be the only person in the world who can't use the DT-880, yet the DT-770 Pro is a perfect fit!

whihc dt 880 there seem to be a few link maybe please thanks

Jan 26, 2012 at 1:00 AM Post #15 of 35
Ugh, sorry, asked this on multiple threads already but, I'm a metal listener, primarily prog, death, punk, etc very little acoustic on the side. Anyway, I really like the K240 MKIIs and I've been told the Q701s are rather similar in the sense that the sound signatures are the same. I love these K240 MKIIs and I can properly amplify the Q701s akglajfda;fskfja. Sorry, I'm all over the damn place but getting to the point; I really like the Q701s and because I like the K240 MKIIs, do you think the Q701s are suited?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back