AKG Q701 Gaming setup
Aug 24, 2013 at 4:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

General

New Head-Fier
Hi guys I'm new here and I starded searching on google to a forum that might give me the answers I need and I ended up here :D So I just purchased a AKG Q701 and I plan to use it with my gaming setup, but here comes the thing I need help with: The sound card. Currently I don't have one and I was thinking about getting the Creative Sound Blaster ZxR, what do you guys think?

Aug 24, 2013 at 9:45 PM Post #3 of 12
Quote:
Hi guys I'm new here and I started searching on Google to a forum that might give me the answers I need and I ended up here :D So I just purchased a AKG Q701 and I plan to use it with my gaming setup, but here comes the thing I need help with: The sound card. Currently I don't have one and I was thinking about getting the Creative Sound Blaster ZxR, what do you guys think?

Lower cost option.
Sound Blaster Titanium (non-HD), sells used on eBay for $50-$60.
Schiit Magni external headphone amplifier, $99

The Titanium drivers would be more mature then the Z series.
The Magni comes with a lower impedance headphone amplifier :)

But the Titanium's DAC is not as good as the ZxR, but as your gaming, you may not notice the difference (too busy gaming).

Aug 25, 2013 at 1:05 PM Post #4 of 12

Quote:
Heya,

Sound blaster Z with the external dongle would be my choice.

Very best,

Quote:
Lower cost option.
Sound Blaster Titanium (non-HD), sells used on eBay for $50-$60.
Schiit Magni external headphone amplifier, $99

The Titanium drivers would be more mature then the Z series.
The Magni comes with a lower impedance headphone amplifier :)

But the Titanium's DAC is not as good as the ZxR, but as your gaming, you may not notice the difference (too busy gaming).

Thanks for the fast reply :) If I end up buying the ZxR, would you approve of it? The reason I want it is becasue here in Norway the ZxR is priced at allmost the same as the Titanium HD, and the ZxR has a mic attched to its "volume thing" and I need that team speak ability.

Aug 25, 2013 at 1:28 PM Post #5 of 12
ZxR over titanium for sure. Asus drivers crash all the time btw, had no problems with Z drivers.

Aug 25, 2013 at 4:29 PM Post #6 of 12
Asus drivers crash all the time btw, had no problems with Z drivers.

Just so the OP doesn't spread the rumor (lol), I've owned multiple Asus cards. Never had the drivers "crash." Never heard that this was a particular problem for most Asus sound card owners. Sounds like something with your particular system was an issue.

Aug 25, 2013 at 4:42 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:
Thanks for the fast reply :) If I end up buying the ZxR, would you approve of it? The reason I want it is because here in Norway the ZxR is priced at almost the same as the Titanium HD, and the ZxR has a mic attached to its "volume thing" and I need that team speak ability.

I believe the Titanium HD and ZxR both use the PCM1794 DAC chip.
and the ZxR uses the same headphone amplifier chip (TI 6120) as the Essence STX & ST sound card.
Plus you get your "Volume thing".
The only negative I would have with the ZxR is the price and I assume in Norway you have a VAT (Value Added Tax) on it.

Aug 25, 2013 at 4:43 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:
ZxR over titanium for sure. Asus drivers crash all the time btw, had no problems with Z drivers.

I personally have had very stable Xonar drivers, with my DG, DS, DX & STX.

Aug 25, 2013 at 5:11 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:
I believe the Titanium HD and ZxR both use the PCM1794 DAC chip.
and the ZxR uses the same headphone amplifier chip (TI 6120) as the Essence STX & ST sound card.
Plus you get your "Volume thing".
The only negative I would have with the ZxR is the price and I assume in Norway you have a VAT (Value Added Tax) on it.

I think I'll buy the ZxR and yes, it is expencive in Norway :frowning2: Our government adds 25% of the item's original value.

Aug 25, 2013 at 7:05 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:
Just so the OP doesn't spread the rumor (lol), I've owned multiple Asus cards. Never had the drivers "crash." Never heard that this was a particular problem for most Asus sound card owners. Sounds like something with your particular system was an issue.

That's great, but it's more of an issue today because these are old cards and the drivers haven't really been kept up to date.  The Unified Driver solves a lot of issues.  Just google Xonar crash and you'll see what I mean, it's definitely not an isolated issue.  I've spent hours on Asus forums with people having these issues in the last year or two.

Aug 25, 2013 at 7:18 PM Post #11 of 12
That's great, but it's more of an issue today because these are old cards and the drivers haven't really been kept up to date.  The Unified Driver solves a lot of issues.  Just google Xonar crash and you'll see what I mean, it's definitely not an isolated issue.  I've spent hours on Asus forums with people having these issues in the last year or two.

You can find lots of people with Creative card issues, too. And that goes back 15 years of sound card history. LOL

Aug 25, 2013 at 7:22 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:
You can find lots of people with Creative card issues, too. And that goes back 15 years of sound card history. LOL

Absolutely agreed, which is why I'd never recommend any of the older ones.  I'm not a fanboy of any company, I switch back and forth as I find better products, drivers, support etc. and actually recommend the DX sometimes if someone wants Dolby Headphone - I just let them know about the Unified Driver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back