AKG Q701 for metal?
Jan 20, 2012 at 9:48 AM Post #16 of 37
I think Grados are great for metal, but do need some equalization to boost the bass a little more.  The lack of sub-bass isn't too much of a concern since the low end in metal is more mid-bass-centric.

Jan 20, 2012 at 1:03 PM Post #17 of 37

Quote:
I think Grados are great for metal, but do need some equalization to boost the bass a little more.  The lack of sub-bass isn't too much of a concern since the low end in metal is more mid-bass-centric.

rs1 has more than enough mid-bass punch for rock music. i personally also enjoy them sometimes with house music since they're really punchy.

Jan 20, 2012 at 8:04 PM Post #18 of 37
these are great for metal, just don't expect garbage modern recordings to sound good. I don't know if any headphone could make something like the newest output from Testament and Machinehead sound decent because that Andy Sneap style production coupled with bad mastering is the kiss of death. Try to get original first pressings or remasters that are done right like the Venom ones. Stuff like Mercyful Fate, Metallica, Megadeth, Testament, 90s Cradle of Filth, Maiden, Priest, Death, 90s Moonspell, 90s Burzum, Emperor-Anthems, all sounds pretty awesome.

I recently got the Heed Canamp and it seems like the perfect amp for this headphone. I had been using the darkvoice 332 with mullard and svetlana tubes. There was still some harshness with it. The heed really smooths out the sound and adds a touch more bass while keeping the strengths that I liked about the darkvoice.

The source is a big deal too. Arcam 73 is what I like because it is smooth, muscular, and warm. When I try old cd players from the 80s and 90s by Onkyo, Magnavox, Sony, Denon, and NEC, it's very night and day. I also tried a Rega Saturn, Rotel 1072, and a bunch of stuff at can jam with the RS-1. 

RS-1 has some similarities to K701, but it's more forward and congested. The DT990 is not bad. More muddy-sounding, but in a pleasant way. But it doesn't have the dynamics of a K701. For example. When I listen to the Carbon freeze music from Empire Strikes Back, the big snare hits really rock the K701 whereas they seem tame on the 990. Just seems that with the K701, the loud sounds get louder than with my other phones. 

I've got the HF2 as well but it doesn't let the sound breathe like the RS-1. It tames everything while adding bass. 

And I've never liked any of the Senns. Sound stays inside the drivers too much for my taste. 

With any phone, you need the right source and amp.

Jan 20, 2012 at 8:10 PM Post #20 of 37

Quote:
Despite it being my favorite full size can, I really think these are not suited for metal.

+1

i think the SR-325 are better then K701 for metal if you don't like the warmer sound of the rs1

Jan 21, 2012 at 9:00 PM Post #22 of 37

Quote:
bass + metal = grado rs1 grado hf2

the rs1 have really good bass...

may not be too strong on the low end, but the mid bass punch hits hard on them.

Jan 22, 2012 at 7:05 AM Post #23 of 37
Q701's are great for metal.  I'm of the opinion that they are so revealing that every single one of us has a totally different experience.  Using the HRT Music Streamer II+ and FiiO e9 my q701's sound superb.  They have great bass, and the mid bass is just insane.  Once the toms start in a song you will hear what I'm talking about.  It seems like most people are after huge amounts of low bass for metal music and I don't understand that at all.  Mid bass is what rock music is all about, and the q701's do midbass amazingly well.  

The highs aren't fatiguing to me, but I'm coming from AD700's so take my opinion on that for what it is.  They mainly seem less fatiguing than the ad700's because they have better driver speed and there is much less long lasting sizzle to cymbals in recordings which can put strain on your ears.  For metal vocals the q701's put the singer front and center, and this allows you to actually hear what the singer is screaming at you.  

Jan 22, 2012 at 12:25 PM Post #24 of 37
i was listening to within temptation the other day out of my akg k701, sounded pretty good.

Jan 22, 2012 at 12:55 PM Post #25 of 37
I thought the K701's did metal well.  no grado...but did it well.  I did not really have the metal sources I do now, and its been years since I had mine, but I recall them being very pleasant with almost any music with the exception to heavy bass items (electronica, etc)

Jan 22, 2012 at 1:03 PM Post #26 of 37
Q701 go not with Metal.

Jan 22, 2012 at 1:22 PM Post #27 of 37
Sorry, not trying to hijack this thread but, a while back I bought a pair of AKG K240 MKIIs. I still use these on a daily basis and they still astonish me to this day. I happen to listen to a lot of the same types of metal as the OP, so I'm kind of wondering, seeing as how I really do think the K240 MKIIs fit my taste in music (I've tried a wide variety of headphones including the DT770, SR60is (which are recommended for my taste in music), SR80is, M50s, etc. but I didn't like them as much as my K240s).

Long story short, I really think the K240s have the sound I want and I'm looking to invest a bit more. I've been drooling over the K701s for a long time now and I know that a store around me got a shipment of the Q701s my mind is pretty much made up but I was wondering if the K240s and the K701s are similar sounding.

EDIT: I should also mention, I can properly run these headphones, it's really all a matter of whether or not the headphones fit the genre of music I listen to which consist primarily of; mathcore, prog metal, death metal, grunge, industrial and classic.

Jan 22, 2012 at 2:38 PM Post #28 of 37
I listen to all of that and the q701s are amazing, especially if you like the AKG sound sig. I don't have the current model of k240 but I have the old 600ohm model and they are fairly similar but the q701 are just on a whole different level.

Jan 22, 2012 at 3:31 PM Post #29 of 37
Thanks Danthrax, incredibly helpful. I was actually looking at the sound signatures and comparing the two. I honestly never would've expected someone to have the Q701s and a pair very similar.

Jan 22, 2012 at 8:53 PM Post #30 of 37
Depends if you like only listening to more well produced stuff, and what type of listener you are.

Personally I'm an analytical listener and love hearing all the parts and how they're put together.  I love love love the 701 series, and bands like Lacrimosa and Anathema sound like heaven through them.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back