AKG Q701 for FPS gaming and rock music?
Sep 11, 2013 at 10:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

uziyourillusion

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I've been desperately searching all over for the right pair of headphones. I have about $300 max to spend and have my sights currently set on the AKG Q701. Firstly, the look fantastic and extremely comfortable. Second, according the Recommended headphones for gaming thread, these are apparently "godlike" so they caught my eye. 

Now unfortunately, there's no where in my area where I can try any audiophile grade headphones, so I basically have to do my best to understand the terms associated with each particular set and try and match them with what I think I would like best. 

Now, I know these particular headphones have a "wide soundstage" so you feel immersed in the stage and can pick out each instrument and its location. That sounds very appealing, especially coming from cheap Walmart brand $30 headphones. From what I've read the main drawback to these "open back" headphones are they're generally light on bass. I've never listened to a high quality set of headphones before so I can't really say if that would bother me or not. I have had a pair of HD 280s in the past and the bass, IIRC, was just enough for me. To be honest, as long as the bass is present enough and sounds great, I think I'd be ok. I want my electric guitar and vocals to be what reaches out more than anything. However, this song below sounds like it has a bit of bass in it and I'd hate to be missing out if the AKGs werent capable of doing GNR and other rock music justice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=iGoxykRSWig#t=130

My other main concern is amping these headphones. I hear these are difficult to drive and was curious if buying something like an Asus Xonar STX would be sufficient to get the most out of these.

Also, if you guys can think of any headphones that would be more appropriate for Rock music and gaming I would appreciate some input, thanks!

Sep 12, 2013 at 2:19 AM Post #3 of 9
  I've been desperately searching all over for the right pair of headphones. I have about $300 max to spend and have my sights currently set on the AKG Q701. Firstly, the look fantastic and extremely comfortable. Second, according the Recommended headphones for gaming thread, these are apparently "godlike" so they caught my eye. 

Now unfortunately, there's no where in my area where I can try any audiophile grade headphones, so I basically have to do my best to understand the terms associated with each particular set and try and match them with what I think I would like best. 
Now, I know these particular headphones have a "wide soundstage" so you feel immersed in the stage and can pick out each instrument and its location. That sounds very appealing, especially coming from cheap Walmart brand $30 headphones. From what I've read the main drawback to these "open back" headphones are they're generally light on bass. I've never listened to a high quality set of headphones before so I can't really say if that would bother me or not. I have had a pair of HD 280s in the past and the bass, IIRC, was just enough for me. To be honest, as long as the bass is present enough and sounds great, I think I'd be ok. I want my electric guitar and vocals to be what reaches out more than anything. However, this song below sounds like it has a bit of bass in it and I'd hate to be missing out if the AKGs werent capable of doing GNR and other rock music justice.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=iGoxykRSWig#t=130
My other main concern is amping these headphones. I hear these are difficult to drive and was curious if buying something like an Asus Xonar STX would be sufficient to get the most out of these.
Also, if you guys can think of any headphones that would be more appropriate for Rock music and gaming I would appreciate some input, thanks!

Instead of the Essence STX, how about the Xonar DX or D1 (used $60) with a Schiit Magni headphone amplifier ($99)?
The Schiit Magni's headphone output impedance is less then 1-Ohm.
So you should be able to plug headphones anywhere from 25-Ohm to 600-Ohm, into the Magni.

Sep 12, 2013 at 9:55 AM Post #4 of 9
Instead of the Essence STX, how about the Xonar DX or D1 (used $60) with a Schiit Magni headphone amplifier ($99)?
The Schiit Magni's headphone output impedance is less then 1-Ohm.
So you should be able to plug headphones anywhere from 25-Ohm to 600-Ohm, into the Magni.

+1

That's a great setup for the price.

Sep 12, 2013 at 5:46 PM Post #6 of 9
  thanks for the replies, what are the differences between the DX/D1 to the STX? Would audio quality be worse?

The Xonar DX & D1 & STX use the same C-Media CMI8788 audio processor and all come with S/PDIF optical.
The extra features the STX offers is S/PDIF coaxial, swapable op-amps and stand alone headphone jack, with a head amp.
The STX comes with the PCM1792A DAC chip, which I'm assuming is better then the CS4398 DAC chip the DX/D1 come with.
(but the PCM1792A might not make a really noticeable improvement over the CS4398).

The Magni amp is not inside the computer case (unlike the STX), so the Magni not be effected by any electrical noise that might be inside the computer case.
Plus the Magni can be use with more audio sources then just the computer.

Sep 12, 2013 at 9:15 PM Post #7 of 9
My experience with the D1/DX and the STX is that the DAC on the STX is a bit better, but not a glaring amount. Then the Magni is a better headphone amp than the one in the STX. Given that you have the Q701s, I think that they might like the better amp :)

Sep 12, 2013 at 10:52 PM Post #8 of 9
One last question before I pull the trigger on the Q701s. Is it true you can change the ear pads out with the K702 65 Annie's and get the same sound? That seems like it would be the perfect headphone for me. Nice and analytical when gaming, then switch the K702 pads every now and then when I want some "fun" in my music?

edit:

also, are there any external DAC solutions that would be better than a soundcard for less than $80? There's a very strong possibility that the soundcard wont fit between my SLI GTX 760s so I may have no option there.

Sep 13, 2013 at 1:23 AM Post #9 of 9
  One last question before I pull the trigger on the Q701s. Is it true you can change the ear pads out with the K702 65 Annie's and get the same sound? That seems like it would be the perfect headphone for me. Nice and analytical when gaming, then switch the K702 pads every now and then when I want some "fun" in my music?

edit:

also, are there any external DAC solutions that would be better than a sound card for less than $80? There's a very strong possibility that the sound card wont fit between my SLI GTX 760s so I may have no option there.

Here is a dedicated thread for the Q701, should be lots of posts on what ear pads work with the Q701.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/582276/q701-appreciation-thread

If you just want to use the audio setup for music and have no need for Headphone Surround Sound for gaming or movies, then an external USB DAC would be fine.
HifiMediy Sabre U2 Async external USB DAC, $54 plus any tax and shipping.
http://hifimediy.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=123

Or get an all in one DAC/Amp with a S/PDIF (optical & coaxial) input, as S/PDIF connection would allow you to use the features of your motherboard's built in sound card.
USB bypasses sound cards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back