AKG Q701 Clamping Pressure Assistance
Mar 8, 2016 at 7:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

NickyaKillah

Head-Fier
Hi there,

I have a pair of recently-acquired AKG Q701 headphones. Sound quality is jaw-dropping, but that's not the point right now.

I have noticed a quite tight clamping force on my head, mainly feeling VERY uncomfortable for more than two hours of active use. I believe what is happening is that a vein in my head is being pinched by the Q701s right earcup. Does anyone know how to make the clamping pressure less noticeable, if not lighten it?

Mar 8, 2016 at 10:16 PM Post #2 of 6
It uses AKG's self adjusting headband design, meaning it should for the most part adjust to the same clamping force for anybody using it, and past that depends a lot more on the user, like how many hated the bumps on the K701 headband. In your case you might want to check with a doctor (at the very least, during your next general check-up or physical) as there might be something going on with that nerve to begin with, ex. it might not be the nerve but a blood vessel near it and you might be headed for a stroke or something. Don't panic, just make sure you get it checked.

That said maybe it can use a fair bit of stretch - get a row of books upright wider than your head, clamp them with thin metal bookends in case they can't stand up on their own, and use that as a headphone stand when you're not listening. This should stretch out the elastic parts. Note though that this will also accelerate wear on the $90/pair earpads, but of course, once the elastics on the headband are stretched, then it'll be like that until you don't use them for long enough (or break the headband, at which point you replace them with a new headband that will need stretching again, so don't toss out old earpads).

Mar 9, 2016 at 3:25 PM Post #3 of 6

It uses AKG's self adjusting headband design, meaning it should for the most part adjust to the same clamping force for anybody using it, and past that depends a lot more on the user, like how many hated the bumps on the K701 headband. In your case you might want to check with a doctor (at the very least, during your next general check-up or physical) as there might be something going on with that nerve to begin with, ex. it might not be the nerve but a blood vessel near it and you might be headed for a stroke or something. Don't panic, just make sure you get it checked.

That said maybe it can use a fair bit of stretch - get a row of books upright wider than your head, clamp them with thin metal bookends in case they can't stand up on their own, and use that as a headphone stand when you're not listening. This should stretch out the elastic parts. Note though that this will also accelerate wear on the $90/pair earpads, but of course, once the elastics on the headband are stretched, then it'll be like that until you don't use them for long enough (or break the headband, at which point you replace them with a new headband that will need stretching again, so don't toss out old earpads).

Thanks man. Just wondering with the stroke part, is it normal for teenagers to have strokes?

Mar 9, 2016 at 11:29 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyaKillah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks man. Just wondering with the stroke part, is it normal for teenagers to have strokes?

Absolutely not but it's not that uncommon. In most cases they're athletes - we had a kid here drop dead on the basketball court. Football (by that I mean handegg) is a full-contact sport that often leads to concussions and other nervous system or brain injuries that do not get diagnosed properly, like this kid who said he was fine, he didn't lose consciousness so they were sure it wasn't a concussion, but then he had internal bleeding and died hours after the game.

Football (as in futbol) over here almost gave me a heatstroke also, which is why after that we only played basketball from March to June, since we have a huge, heat insulated roof over the courts with wide open sides far from the hoops that block out the sun but lets a lot of air move through, not to mention the school gym officials sometimes run the giant industrial fans near those open chicken wire walls as active intakes plus crank up the cooling system for the drinking fountains. And then there's that time I wasn't the goalie but my brain momentarily got confused and I tried to swat the ball, then remembered I'm not the goalie, and did a full videogame move by headbutting the damned ball. That was the first time I saw stars and they did everything in the school infirmary short of sending me to a hospital for a CT Scan (being a boys' school the staff are very familiar with sports injuries, or they thought so until a teacher's femur nearly popped out of his leg when he got tackled during a rugby game...it was handegg rules but they didn't wear any protective gear, so, rugby).

Mar 10, 2016 at 10:48 PM Post #5 of 6
Absolutely not but it's not that uncommon. In most cases they're athletes - we had a kid here drop dead on the basketball court. Football (by that I mean handegg) is a full-contact sport that often leads to concussions and other nervous system or brain injuries that do not get diagnosed properly, like this kid who said he was fine, he didn't lose consciousness so they were sure it wasn't a concussion, but then he had internal bleeding and died hours after the game.

Football (as in futbol) over here almost gave me a heatstroke also, which is why after that we only played basketball from March to June, since we have a huge, heat insulated roof over the courts with wide open sides far from the hoops that block out the sun but lets a lot of air move through, not to mention the school gym officials sometimes run the giant industrial fans near those open chicken wire walls as active intakes plus crank up the cooling system for the drinking fountains. And then there's that time I wasn't the goalie but my brain momentarily got confused and I tried to swat the ball, then remembered I'm not the goalie, and did a full videogame move by headbutting the damned ball. That was the first time I saw stars and they did everything in the school infirmary short of sending me to a hospital for a CT Scan (being a boys' school the staff are very familiar with sports injuries, or they thought so until a teacher's femur nearly popped out of his leg when he got tackled during a rugby game...it was handegg rules but they didn't wear any protective gear, so, rugby).

Well, might as well continue and turn this thread into a medical convo.

Im not an athlete... Is that worse?

Mar 11, 2016 at 11:43 AM Post #6 of 6
Well, might as well continue and turn this thread into a medical convo.

Im not an athlete... Is that worse?

It depends...it might eliminate injuries, but if it is something other than the headphone putting pressure on a nerve or blood vessel then it might be something more exotic than an injury. Anyways just make sure to get it checked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back