AKG K912 Wireless Headphones. Is it any good?
Jun 13, 2013 at 8:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

reeshahn

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys,

I recently came across to a really cheap pair of AKG K912. Buying a wireless headphone was not in my mind but since they are really cheap I started considering it. I am mainly thinking about using it for playing Wii and watching some movies at night and occasionally maybe for music as well. Are they any good? Did anybody try them before? Please let me know.

Cheers!

Jun 13, 2013 at 9:48 AM Post #3 of 12
Well this one only costs around 100€ in Europe. Most wireless headphones are far more expensive and this is what got me to wonder if they are good or not. I know AKG is generally a good brand but I have no idea about Wireless headphones so I wanted to check the public opinion before doing something foolish. :)

Jun 13, 2013 at 6:47 PM Post #4 of 12
Hi,

I have one of those for a while now.

By my experience with them I would not recommend them. The sound is decent but I had to many trouble with them; The range is small and they are very prone to external interference i.e. you will ear too many interference in the sound;

Here in Portugal you can get one of those for around 40€ to 60€;

If you need any more detail with the headphones please let me know;

Jun 14, 2013 at 2:14 AM Post #5 of 12
Quote:
Hi,

I have one of those for a while now.

By my experience with them I would not recommend them. The sound is decent but I had to many trouble with them; The range is small and they are very prone to external interference i.e. you will ear too many interference in the sound;

Here in Portugal you can get one of those for around 40€ to 60€;

If you need any more detail with the headphones please let me know;

Thank you Focalor. Did you run any benchmarking test with those? Or do you have any idea where to find the graphr regarding the sound signature? Do you get a hissing sound during use? Thank you.

Jun 14, 2013 at 4:02 AM Post #6 of 12
I did not run any benchmark for these nor I could find any graphic for the headphones sound signature;

Yes there is an hissing sound in some situations due to external interference; The heaphones have multiple frequency configuration in order to avoid this issue, I found one configuration where I could get the hissing sound to a minimum;

MayI ask the purpose of the headphones? i.e. if its for playing or for a home theater configuration?

Jun 14, 2013 at 4:12 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:
Hi guys,

I recently came across to a really cheap pair of AKG K912. Buying a wireless headphone was not in my mind but since they are really cheap I started considering it. I am mainly thinking about using it for playing Wii and watching some movies at night and occasionally maybe for music as well. Are they any good? Did anybody try them before? Please let me know.

Cheers!

I wrote in my original message :)

Apr 15, 2014 at 5:01 AM Post #8 of 12
I bought this headphone but I don't recommend to anyone. Sound quality is fair, bit noisy but good for music listening too. Range is very good,  20meters away in the garden is still good quality. What I hate about this headphone is that when nothing happens then it starts auto tuning and grabbing some radio, cb calls and making high peak "puff-puff" -s. It is very very annoying! 

Oct 5, 2014 at 4:18 PM Post #9 of 12
Hi, I have had these headphones for a few years now. I previously had (and still have but just don't use anymore) a pair of 'Sony MDR CD 270', which I used to love, but then I bought these ones. 
When I bought these ones, because I was used to the Sony's, at first, they sounded kind of too high-pitched and too little bass but, with time, I started to put the Sony's on and they just sounded too distorted (exaggerated bass and too few high-range definition). It turns out my ears had been adapted to the low-quality, low-definition sound of the Sony's (which isn't totally bad but nothing in comparison to these AKG)

So this is what I think now about the AKG 912 - In terms of sound quality, I absolutely love them and I haven't heard anything better so far because reality, neutrality, balance and detail definition is what I prize in the sound. 

BUT, like other users have mentioned here, OCCASIONALLY (not always, it just happens like 1 or 2 days in a row, like once a month, I don't know why) interference shows up. I don't know how interference only shows up on these few occasions but that's how it happens for me. Most of the time, the signal is absolutely clean though, with no interference. I guess that this means that you will get more or less interference depending on the air-waves in your location...

The aspect the last commenter mentioned regarding the clicking sounds of the unit turning on/off, I have totally adjusted to that and it doesn't bother me in the slightest. If you get used to turning the headphones off as soon as you stop listening to something (most people are used to keeping the headphones in their heads after they have listened to a song for example, but I have gotten used to turn mine off (I also rest them in my neck for coolness). When I want to start listening to something else again, I just put them back on and press the button. This practice will also save you battery and keep your head cooler. 

Would I recommend these headphones? 

It's certainly an awesome feeling of freedom not to have your head attached to a wire. Whenever I get up in the middle of the night to go to the kitchen, I don't have to stop listening to whatever I'm listening to, like the previous commenter said, the headphones have a good range. Even if I'm not listening to anything and the headphones are turned off, I don't have to remove them from my neck, I can just go about the house and don't have to perform that "wired ritual" of putting the headphones on the table so I can get up and walk. That is definitely a life-changing experience but I definitely recommend having a 2nd pair of like 20/30 € wired headphones ready for those few occasions when there is actually interference in the signal. 

another huge thing in these AKG's which is the ability to remove and wash the ear pads. In the summer, one gets sweaty and, most headphones do not posess this simple but essential feature so that's another plus on these headphones. The ear pads are also very comfortable - Because they don't imitate leather (they are made of fabric) they don't stick to the skin). Very comfortable headphones, despite the fact that the headband will inevitably fold at the middle but that's not affecting the comfort or experience in any way.

One time the headphones appeared to stop working, I went back and forth trying to figure out what was wrong with them. Turns out one of the batteries had come off partially. If the headphones ever stop work for no reason, remove the ear pads and check if the batteries are well placed. :wink:

If you stop listening to them and leave them on, sometimes they will not automatically tune in to your reception when you put some sound on, but this problem is easily fixed buy turning them off/on again.

Dec 28, 2016 at 4:46 AM Post #11 of 12
Have you had some buzzing using the headphones? Just today i plugged in my AKG K912 to my computer and as i was watching, i heard a few puff puff's and then a loud buzz came out and a second later there was the same buzzing, it won't stop but now everytime i plug in my headphones they don't work.

Dec 28, 2016 at 5:58 PM Post #12 of 12
  Have you had some buzzing using the headphones? Just today i plugged in my AKG K912 to my computer and as i was watching, i heard a few puff puff's and then a loud buzz came out and a second later there was the same buzzing, it won't stop but now everytime i plug in my headphones they don't work.

The buzzing can only be explained by radio interference from an external source (ex: radio or TV station over the air waves). And this interference is usually punctual and rare in my personal experience but according to radio waves in your area, experiences may differ.

​before trying anything else, try your headphones with another device to rule out your current device you have your headphones plugged into as the source of the problem. Also, make sure the volume is not muted in either one of these devices.

The headphones not working though, can only be explained by the following possible reasons that I can think of off the top of my head:

1) The volume is turned all the way down in the volume selector in rear, right side of the headphones, in which case you need to scroll it downwards in order to turn up the volume.

2) They are not tuned (in which case you need to press the tuning button on the left side repeatedly until they are tuned

3) They have ran out of battery, in which case you need to charge them (you have to see the red light on while they are on their charging dock, otherwise they are not charging)

4) one of the batteries partially fell out of its socket. This is a somewhat frequent thing to happen especially if you jerk the headphones somewhat violently. 

Go through these steps in this order

When you turn on the headphones in the on/off button on the right side, does the green light light up?

Try those and tell me if the problem has been fixed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back