AKG K81s 1st impressions
Nov 23, 2006 at 12:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Nitpick

Head-Fier
Well my first post here at Head-fi, after reading many a pages in the infamous thread, I decided to place an order and join here. Well I got them, I opened the box and there they were, very light headphones, I almost was scared of braking them thanks to the thread too. Well plopped them on my head and started my music, wow was the bass muddy, i mean like sluggish like, but after a few songs, it seemed to change, bass was starting to loosen up and midrange came out from the back, but the highs were still out of sight. The headphones give a very closed up feeling, which was different from my Ksc75's. I like AKGs so far but i hope the highs get a little better.

Nov 23, 2006 at 2:48 AM Post #3 of 8
Yes, remove the foam pad and the highs will be clearer and the bass will sound much tighter. Between that and a little burn in, you will be loving these cans soon
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 23, 2006 at 5:06 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nitpick /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well my first post here at Head-fi, after reading many a pages in the infamous thread, I decided to place an order and join here. Well I got them, I opened the box and there they were, very light headphones, I almost was scared of braking them thanks to the thread too. Well plopped them on my head and started my music, wow was the bass muddy, i mean like sluggish like, but after a few songs, it seemed to change, bass was starting to loosen up and midrange came out from the back, but the highs were still out of sight. The headphones give a very closed up feeling, which was different from my Ksc75's. I like AKGs so far but i hope the highs get a little better.

I found the exact same thing, even with the pads removed. Maybe the newer ones sound different?

Regarding burn-in, a lot of that is just familiarization and adjustment. After a while, go back to headphones you know and compare. Without a stable reference, its impossible to tell burn-in from user compensation.

Nov 24, 2006 at 7:04 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by LuckyKarma /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, remove the foam pad and the highs will be clearer and the bass will sound much tighter. Between that and a little burn in, you will be loving these cans soon
smily_headphones1.gif

Now I'm a little worried about removing the foam, do u just turn the earcups around or something?

Nov 24, 2006 at 7:07 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by DDF /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I found the exact same thing, even with the pads removed. Maybe the newer ones sound different?.

oh man if that the case i hope I'm not losing anything in SQ

Nov 24, 2006 at 11:57 PM Post #8 of 8
Don't Worry, the k81's needs a lot of time to get burned in. The sound will open up. Be patient
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back