AKG K81DJ vs. Senn HD280
May 24, 2006 at 4:15 AM Post #16 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by dvallere
... and always had a somewhat 'distant' sound, as though I were listening to a concert down the hall somewhere.

Hmmm, not really. The laidback nature is more of a HD58x, 6x attribute. The HD280, if anything, is bright.

Jan 8, 2007 at 7:00 PM Post #17 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by pencechp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
2mm is probably excessive. I've got somewhere between 0.75 and 1mm (I wasn't very precise). Give that a try.

In general, the Blue Tack lets you "tune" the headphones. More blue-tack = more mid-bass. Add and remove as you see fit to get the sound you'd like.

I have the hd280's and would like to know what Blue Tack is. Where do i get it? how do i put it on? how much do i put on? How much is 1mm (yes, i asked that...)?

basically can someone explain exactly what i should do? thanks!

Jan 8, 2007 at 7:08 PM Post #18 of 21
Quick point about the 280-pro. I did not mind the 'clamp' at all. i actually found them to be very comfortable. However, its worth noting they are currently 'in for repair'. It wasnt a problem with the headband either, but the right can suddenly had no sound coming out of it
frown.gif

Way I see it, this seems quite simple. The K81 DJ is better for porablity and wear and tear for carrying around everywhere. The 280-pro can probably sound a bit better than it though, especially with a headphone amp. Depends what you are wanting, I certainly dont think they are headphones in direct competiton with one another.

Jan 8, 2007 at 7:12 PM Post #19 of 21
I can't recall the URL for the original Blue Tack thread, but Blue Tack (though not always blue) is the sticky stuff you can make little balls of to hang posters or such on the wall. When I was young, at least, this is what all elementary school posters were hung with in classrooms. I got mine at an Office Depot, where it was called something like Poster Adhesive. Here's a website giving you an idea of what the stuff looks like.

EDIT: I read that the stuff is sometimes called "Poster Putty." YMMV.

Once you've got it, take the earcups off your HD280s (just pull, I promise they'll come off without tearing IF you're careful). Then, unscrew (small Philips head, I believe) the cups, and mash around 1mm of the tack in a layer across the back of the earcup (the back being the part with the hinge, away from your ear).

Let me know if you need more help; I could post pictures in a couple days if I went and got the headphones from my office.

Jan 8, 2007 at 7:26 PM Post #20 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by pencechp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't recall the URL for the original Blue Tack thread, but Blue Tack (though not always blue) is the sticky stuff you can make little balls of to hang posters or such on the wall. When I was young, at least, this is what all elementary school posters were hung with in classrooms. I got mine at an Office Depot, where it was called something like Poster Adhesive. Here's a website giving you an idea of what the stuff looks like.

EDIT: I read that the stuff is sometimes called "Poster Putty." YMMV.

Once you've got it, take the earcups off your HD280s (just pull, I promise they'll come off without tearing IF you're careful). Then, unscrew (small Philips head, I believe) the cups, and mash around 1mm of the tack in a layer across the back of the earcup (the back being the part with the hinge, away from your ear).

Let me know if you need more help; I could post pictures in a couple days if I went and got the headphones from my office.

thanks. I pretty sure i got it, but if you could post those pics just so i know exactly where to place the tack that would be awesome. thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back