AKG K81DJ or Grado SR-60?
Mar 13, 2007 at 8:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

ywd

100+ Head-Fier
Stacked up side by side, how do these two compare to each other?
I know the grados will probably sound a bit better because theyre open, but how much? The akgs look like they are built sturdier, will they likely last any longer? From what I've heard of grado's service, longetivity should be no problem.

As an afterthought, does anyone know if the PX-100s and the PMX-100s are the same exact headphone, but with one having the neckband?

Mar 13, 2007 at 9:15 PM Post #3 of 20
if you need isolation or can't afford leakage, or gonna go portable get the 81dj
but the closed feature of the 81 is the major difference

but since you like rock, go with the sr60

the pmx is the same as the px. if i had a choice between the two, i'd choose the px because i don't wanna deal with a silly neckband that probably won't fit me

Mar 13, 2007 at 11:07 PM Post #5 of 20
based on what i've read:
the sr60 will leak tons more obviously, have less bass and bass extension, have more focus on the upper mids and highs, and will probably have a more up in your face sounds than the akgk81.

Mar 13, 2007 at 11:14 PM Post #6 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundscape /img/forum/go_quote.gif
based on what i've read:
the sr60 will leak tons more obviously, have less bass and bass extension, have more focus on the upper mids and highs, and will probably have a more up in your face sounds than the akgk81.

Generally true, although I should add that the SR 60's are definitly not lacking in the bass department, as is a common misconception. Also, many people exaggerate the sound signature of Grado's to be extremely harsh and impossible to listen to, but to me this so called "brightness" can be better described as "airiness," because the can's present notes with notable space in between. So yes, if portability isn't a variable, go for the SR 60's.

Mar 14, 2007 at 12:25 AM Post #7 of 20
i would say go for the sr60 unless you are listening to it in a noisy enviroment. the comfort also factors in, many complain the akgs are very uncomfortable, not sure about the sr60s though.

Mar 18, 2007 at 2:40 PM Post #8 of 20
I have sr-60's and I am very pleased. Amped by a Millet Hybrid they sound great. However I listen to rock music where not much bass is required. The sr-60's lack the big boom you get from bass in rap or hip hop music, but if you listen to rock definatley go for the sr-60's.

Mar 18, 2007 at 4:40 PM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by M0T0XGUY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Generally true, although I should add that the SR 60's are definitly not lacking in the bass department, as is a common misconception.

I agree, the sr-60 is not lacking in the bass department, at least not for me. But then again if you think the 81's are spot on with regards to the bass then the sr-60's might be a bit shy there.

I have both and prefer the sr-60's in all my possible setups (naim headline, pro-ject headbox mk2, straight out of ipod or computer). And the k81's are not comfortable on me, my head is too big I guess...

BUT, as some already have mentioned, if you're planning on using the phones in a noisy environment go for the AKG's. Or save up for the Sennheiser HD25 which I prefer for portable use.

Mar 18, 2007 at 6:02 PM Post #10 of 20
pretty different headphones you got there...

sr-60 --> seems like your choice! but remember it's OPEN (leaks like crazy)
k81dj --> very very bassy, closed and isolates; but comfort is a major issue for some people, including myself

Mar 18, 2007 at 6:39 PM Post #11 of 20
I had both and I think both are good choices. As others have stated if you need isolation or plan to use them outdoors there's no decision--get the K81DJs. The K81DJs do have what some called "bloated" bass though--you'd have to make the call if that's a signature you'd like or dislike.

Also, for me the SR60s were *very* fatiguing--I essentially couldn't use them for more than 20 minutes or so at a time. They sound great but are very bright -- you'd have to try them to see if you're going to be OK with them for extended periods.

Mar 18, 2007 at 6:57 PM Post #12 of 20
another vote for Grado - I used to have SR80 which sounds very similar to SR60 in my opinion, albeit a little bit on darker side, more bassy. And it rocked, I loved it with my 5th gen ipod (unamped) via remote - it simply rocked

Mar 18, 2007 at 7:19 PM Post #14 of 20
I've had both, and I much prefer the K-81DJ. I find it's sound to be much less fatiguing, and more natural sounding. That said, the SR-60's are lively, and have a lot more get up and go.

Depends on personal preference, and (as has been stated already) whether or not you need closed cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back