AKG K81DJ moding, some pictures :)
Feb 10, 2007 at 7:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

KT88

500+ Head-Fier
Hey Friends,

Just wanted to share. A friend of mine bought a pair of AKG K81DJ's not long ago. He wasn't happy with the bass which was just over-powering anything else, so he asked me to mod them.

What was done is:
- shorter cable
- blu-tak in the cups
- 24gauge solver plated copper wire
- switchcraft 1/8" termination

Stock pre-mods:
img2347dd1.jpg

Filling the cups with blu-tak:
img2349kf4.jpg

All done:
img2353ut0.jpg

The sound after the mods is much better. The bass is tight and accurate like in headphones that costs 3 times more. The detail and soundstage became so much better that you wouldn't belive its the same can. I can honestly say this is an audiophile can for a bargain price once modded
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 10, 2007 at 8:47 PM Post #2 of 32
wow, alot of k81 owners are really gonna appreciate this. hell even i'm kinda curious ... must save for headgasket change .... agggggh

Feb 10, 2007 at 9:08 PM Post #3 of 32
hi
The moded k81dj are mine
icon10.gif

What can i say ,the look great ,and sound even better.
The sound has improved greatly, better soundstage,tighter bass,smother highs.
It has become a truly great rock phone,i prefer it to the sr-60 for rock.
The phone has even become more sensetive to upstream,i need a better source now
blink.gif

Feb 10, 2007 at 9:22 PM Post #4 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by a12beat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hi
i need a better source now
blink.gif

the curse is strong with this one
eggosmile.gif

there's only one mod for the k81dj that will make me rebuy a pair of them, and it hasn't been created yet. a comfort mod
frown.gif

Feb 10, 2007 at 9:26 PM Post #5 of 32
Well you can change the pads on the 81 to hd 25 velor pads,it realy makes the can comfy,but i dont like the the sound with velor pads
mad.gif

Feb 10, 2007 at 9:33 PM Post #6 of 32
Quote:

The sound after the mods is much better.

Thanks for in news and the pics.

To what degree have these improved? Are they just "better than they were before," or something better? (Even though they're fallible, number ratings help a lot; i.e., "they were a 4 before but now they're a solid 7.")

I've been looking into these as an "on the road" solution, but reviews have been variable.

Feb 10, 2007 at 9:33 PM Post #7 of 32
great job on the recable! that's an interesting cover that you used on the split of the cable. do you mind sharing what it is and how to get one?

by the way, don't forget to stuff the cups with cotton balls. i've noticed that it helps the highs and soundstage.

Feb 10, 2007 at 9:36 PM Post #8 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by a12beat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well you can change the pads on the 81 to hd 25 velor pads,it realy makes the can comfy,but i dont like the the sound with velor pads
mad.gif

I wear glasses and the clamp of them was so bad that I can't see the velour pads helping much. I'm waiting on the circumaural mod
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 10, 2007 at 10:01 PM Post #9 of 32
spinali,
I'll have another listen to them tomorow, but from what I remember, they have improved alot. lets say if normal is 5, than its now about 8-8.5 I think. I'll know better once I listen to them once more.

fureshi,
the Y-splitter I've bought from Hans at qables.com, who is a great seller. The one used on this cable is the black 5mm one. Its very good looking, and it helps very much in covering the split. For my new pair of K340's I've used shrinks insted which I like better as they look more unique and proffesional to my taste, but these Y-splitters fro Hans are great. I've used one on my first K340, and a cable I've made for a friend:
img2296fa5.jpg

img2320wl2.jpg

Feb 10, 2007 at 10:12 PM Post #10 of 32
Someone in the german forum also tried bluetacing the K81 and was very enthusiastic in the beginning. But after a week or so, he put the stuff away again, as it also had "tamed" the lower mids as well.

Feb 10, 2007 at 10:16 PM Post #11 of 32
maybe it does, I didn't listen to the menought to tell. but taking it out is no problem, so its nice to try
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 10, 2007 at 10:26 PM Post #12 of 32
Yes.
cool.gif
And the rest of the job has been made really perfect. I'm a cable sceptic -no discussions here-, but it must be very pleasing to use such a beautifully equipped piece of gear.

Feb 10, 2007 at 11:28 PM Post #13 of 32
That is such a nice job you done there.
They look the way they should of come off the shelf.

may have to send you mine when they finally arrive.
that 8 Ft. Cord is ridiculous beyond words..

Feb 11, 2007 at 8:35 AM Post #14 of 32
they do look great
smily_headphones1.gif

but something I've learned after recabling these and my second pair of K340's is that you shouldn't use techflex after the Y split as it will make noise when the 2 sides touch each other. I've ordered some shrinks to replace it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back