AKG K81DJ - Cool or Dorky?
Dec 18, 2006 at 4:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

wintermute

New Head-Fier
It's funny, I started reading this site a week ago. I was in the city (NYC) last Thursday and started recognizing the headphones on people's heads (Koss Porta Pros, AKG K26 P, Senn PX100, and Senn EH 250 stood out).

I'm thinking about getting the AKG K81DJs. Unfortunately, I can't let myself wear anything too goofy on my head while walking around. Do the 81s look Normal, Cool in-the-know, or outright dorky? I was trying to wind my way through the Official K81DJ Thread (all 94 pages of it) and only found dead links to photos of people wearing these things.

Dec 18, 2006 at 4:48 PM Post #2 of 22
They are not that small at all, so if I were you I would think twice before buying them. But they are definitely not GOOFY, IMO.
Personally I find them kind of cool looking, even the size is above the portable one. However for a close back one they are o.k.
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by wintermute /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's funny, I started reading this site a week ago. I was in the city (NYC) last Thursday and started recognizing the headphones on people's heads (Koss Porta Pros, AKG K26 P, Senn PX100, and Senn EH 250 stood out).

I'm thinking about getting the AKG K81DJs. Unfortunately, I can't let myself wear anything too goofy on my head while walking around. Do the 81s look Normal, Cool in-the-know, or outright dorky? I was trying to wind my way through the Official K81DJ Thread (all 94 pages of it) and only found dead links to photos of people wearing these things.

Dec 18, 2006 at 7:00 PM Post #3 of 22
the only thing that would be remotely dorky about wearing em is the headband is very 'wide shouldered'...that's all i can say about em

besides, who cares if it looks dorky? it's the music that matters
cool.gif

Dec 18, 2006 at 7:20 PM Post #4 of 22
Yes, 'wide shouldered', but besides that, they're look OK. Me thinks those full silver headphones that you see people wearing look dorky. Compared to those K81DJs look cool, low-key.

If you get these, remember to recable them with a wrist thick cable like I did and you can stop worrying such minor thing as style etc.

Headfiers are like vampires, we don't have mirrors either.

Dec 18, 2006 at 7:29 PM Post #5 of 22
Yeah the headband is their only downfall. My head's sort of egg-shaped so it looks like I'm wearing a spoiler. The cups themselves are pretty sleek with their matte black rubberized finish.

Dec 18, 2006 at 8:17 PM Post #8 of 22
I wonder if that headband is easily moddable? Clearly, it's the one part of the headphone that lacks a certain style factor - not the kind of thing AKG likes to be caught doing. Which headband could be subbed without unduly destroying the headphone?

Dec 18, 2006 at 10:18 PM Post #10 of 22
I wear my K81DJ while commuting to work on the train, the subway and on the streets of NYC.

I bought Sony MDR-V6 first, but had to return them because they were too huge and I felt self-conscious wearing them. The K81DJs are smaller, I blend in with the Bose-wearing businessmen on the train just fine. They don't hurt my ears like the IEMs I used to have.

Dec 18, 2006 at 11:10 PM Post #11 of 22
If you have a little tiny PIN head then yes, if you have a big bulbous orb affixed to your shoulders then I am sure the look of your cans are the least of your worries. If you are somewheres in between then you should be a-ok.
3000smile.gif

Dec 20, 2006 at 3:27 AM Post #12 of 22
I think that the Sony MDRV-150/MDR-250V/MDR-300 look much better as far as portable, closed cans go, and I think I might just pick some up for when I go skateboarding/snowboarding, since they're cheap and I won't care if they break. Wouldn't want to break my 81's right after I got them!

Dec 20, 2006 at 6:17 AM Post #15 of 22
here's how you find out if something looks dorky or not.
  • look at object in question
  • think to yourself, "does this look dorky?"
  • if you responded yes, and don't want to look dorky, don't buy them.
  • if you responded no, buy them.
  • if you responded maybe, think some more

Users who are viewing this thread

Back