AKG K812(?) Professional Headphones - coming soon
Oct 3, 2013 at 10:00 AM Post #451 of 745
Anyone else hoping the similarity to the K340 is significant?

If it's just another variation on the K/Q 7XX driver this will be a major let down 
mad.gif

Oct 3, 2013 at 10:23 AM Post #452 of 745
No one is saying graphs could give you the definite answer... Still, it can help you to spot some problematic areas like specific unwanted frequency response nuances (2khz AKG peak, 6khz HD800 peak, 9khz Beyer peak etc.) or general character of a headphone - slow/fast, distorted or resonant/clean in certain area, neutral or linear/coloured or unstable across the FR, isolation/openness, positioning consistency, efficiency, impedance across the FR, ...

Basically, I have quite a lot of experience with headphones and therefore I am aware of what kind of sound signature I would like... So basically I do not like Beyer's 9khz peak or the AKG's 2khz one but have no problem with Audeze's lack of treble or HD800's 6khz emphasis. Or I have quite a precise idea of what kind of FR in bass area I am looking for. That's why I am looking forward to see the K812 measurement... They just have to be good enough on paper for me to even think about spending 1500USD on them. But yeah, those small cups and (p)leather pads are quite a dealbreaker already...

Oct 3, 2013 at 12:46 PM Post #453 of 745
  It might have been pointed out already, but the K712 drivers are in fact different than the previous K-series drivers.  They are similar, but different.  I spoke to Phillipe from AKG recently and he confirmed they are not the same drivers with tweaks.  

You have right - the K712 Pro driver and the complete headphone are manufactured (handcrafted) in Vienna!
The K712 Pro driver are different to the other K/Q7xx line.

Nomax, knowing an 'insider' and spilling a few leaks here and there. 

I think Nomax are not a stuff member of AKG in Vienna.

Oct 3, 2013 at 12:48 PM Post #454 of 745

You have right - the K712 Pro driver and the complete headphone are manufactured (handcrafted) in Vienna!
The K712 Pro driver are different to the other K/Q7xx line.

Weren't the other K/Q70x series all manufactured in Vienna until recently as well?

And handcrafted is just a marketing ploy in my opinion >.>
Unless someone actually cuts the leather by hand, stitches it by hand, and then carves out the plastic parts... yea, its just hand assembled like everything else thats mass produced.

Oct 3, 2013 at 12:55 PM Post #455 of 745

Weren't the other K/Q70x series all manufactured in Vienna until recently as well?

Unless someone actually cuts the leather by hand, stitches it by hand, and then carves out the plastic parts... yea, its just hand assembled like everything else thats mass produced.

+1000

Oct 3, 2013 at 12:59 PM Post #456 of 745

Past time ago, I could visit the AKG manufactory in Vienna. The assembly of parts (drivers of microphones, headphones) and final assembly of microphones, headphones are made by handcraft.

Vienna is the production place of the AKG Pro line.

Oct 3, 2013 at 1:13 PM Post #457 of 745

Past time ago, I could visit the AKG manufactory in Vienna. The assembly of parts (drivers of microphones, headphones) and final assembly of microphones, headphones are made by handcraft.

Vienna is the production place of the AKG Pro line.

Assembly of parts in China/India/Indonesia/Philippines/Vietnam/etc is also done by hand. There are just simply some things that cant be assembled by machines yet.

Again, I stand by my opinion of: Hand-assembled IS NOT Hand-crafted.

What I do believe, in AKG's case, is that they probably have higher QC standards in their Vienna facilities.
And I would believe that somewhere along the line, a person checks/tests each individual "pro" headphone rather than checking a sample out of a large group.
But yea, isnt that what they used to do with their K70x series anyway? I think it was only recently that people started seeing K702 boxes show up with "Manufactured in China"

Oct 3, 2013 at 1:28 PM Post #458 of 745

Assembly of parts in China/India/Indonesia/Philippines/Vietnam/etc is also done by hand. There are just simply some things that cant be assembled by machines yet.

Again, I stand by my opinion of: Hand-assembled IS NOT Hand-crafted.

excuse my native language are not english. In Vienna much made by hand.

What I do believe, in AKG's case, is that they probably have higher QC standards in their Vienna facilities.
And I would believe that somewhere along the line, a person checks/tests each individual "pro" headphone rather than checking a sample out of a large group.
But yea, isnt that what they used to do with their K70x series anyway? I think it was only recently that people started seeing K702 boxes show up with "Manufactured in China"

​From which area K701, K702, Q701 are now coming, I could not say. Some of the consumer line are not produced in Vienna.

K712 Pro coming from Vienna!

Oct 3, 2013 at 2:10 PM Post #459 of 745
  Graphs cannot tell you how clear the headphone is, what the stereo image feels like in width, height or depth, cannot tell you how it responds for media and gaming and cannot tell you how enjoyable the headphone will be for you, what type of flavor or coloration it produces, what type of bass texturing it has or at all what type of bass it has in general in terms of presentation type:  Soft, hard, broad, warm, neutral, dry.  Nodda.  All you can denote from a graph and measurements are what the overall responsiveness of the headphone is, if it has a bloom or exaggeration somewhere and where the headphone might roll off in a critical sense.   That is great information to have, but just a small part of the experience in my opinion.    

Let us know :3 

excuse my native language are not english. In Vienna much made by hand.

​From which area K701, K702, Q701 are now coming, I could not say. Some of the consumer line are not produced in Vienna.

K712 Pro coming from Vienna!

Let's hope so. I might have kept my K550 if not for it being made in China :/

Oct 3, 2013 at 2:41 PM Post #460 of 745

You'll have to wait for my review that will appear on Headfonics :)  I am on the first batch reviewers list for the K812 as well.  I love the K712 and really can't even image what the K718 will sound like.  Can't wait to get my ears on that when it's ready!

I hope you'll get some measurements as well if there's a wait. The K 712 response looks like any other K 701-based response except with a bass hump. Would be nice to see a THD and a CSD, too.

Yea, I agree. I'd really like to see a full set of measurements for the K712. From what I can tell so far, the drivers appear to perform nearly identical to the Q701/K701 drivers. Could be confusion on AKG's part calling them different,or just them trying to beef up sales on their latest color change. 

Oct 3, 2013 at 2:51 PM Post #461 of 745

Yea, I agree. I'd really like to see a full set of measurements for the K712. From what I can tell so far, the drivers appear to perform nearly identical to the Q701/K701 drivers. Could be confusion on AKG's part calling them different,or just them trying to beef up sales on their latest color change. 

agree'd 

Oct 3, 2013 at 3:29 PM Post #462 of 745

Click to see more graphs. It takes me to the review page when I click it but when I go back to the spec tab it shows all the graphs

K712 Pro measurement:

Thanks, found em. It does seem like there are minor differences between on one hand the K 701/702 and on the other hand the K 712. You could probably replicate most of these changes with a pad swap or even EQ. Somewhere along the line, the price doubled from K 701 to K 712.

The K812, assuming a price of 1499 €, is 750% more expensive than the K 701; I think AKG would have a hard time justifying this. But wait! The K812 is "only" 350% more expensive than the K 712, which is far easier to present. I think AKG is feeding people a thick one here, but that's just my impression.

Oct 3, 2013 at 3:33 PM Post #463 of 745

Thanks, found em. It does seem like there are minor differences between on one hand the K 701/702 and on the other hand the K 712. You could probably replicate most of these changes with a pad swap or even EQ. Somewhere along the line, the price doubled from K 701 to K 712.

The K812, assuming a price of 1499 €, is 750% more expensive than the K 701; I think AKG would have a hard time justifying this. But wait! The K812 is "only" 350% more expensive than the K 712, which is far easier to present. I think AKG is feeding people a thick one here, but that's just my impression.

let's hope these pictures are off in proportions

still if it's not at least 50+ mm drivers and full leather ear pads... I won't be interested. My L3000 pads are comfier than sin, and they are really almost colorless! They have such a neutral sound effect on the cans I use them with! I will say though they tighten the sound stage of what ever I chuck them onto 

Oct 3, 2013 at 3:44 PM Post #464 of 745

let's hope these pictures are off in proportions

still if it's not at least 50+ mm drivers and full leather ear pads... I won't be interested. My L3000 pads are comfier than sin, and they are really almost colorless! They have such a neutral sound effect on the cans I use them with! I will say though they tighten the sound stage of what ever I chuck them onto 

We are quite possibly getting trolled once again by Harman... They maybe just reused and adjusted K240 or similar design and raised the price to make K812 look more "fresh" or "high-end" as people already got bored by x7xx variations. More realistic price would be more than suspicious and people wanted them to make some 1000+USD headphone for quite some time so here it is...

They will of course assign different part number to the K812 driver to hide the possible fact that its the same driver as always been in the last 15 years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back