AKG K812 Pro, underrated?
Sep 9, 2020 at 3:45 AM Post #137 of 296
Sep 9, 2020 at 4:23 AM Post #139 of 296
SW will fix the whole frequency range including highs and midrange

I never tried eq with it. Treble definately would benefit from it. Midrange balance was actually quite good IMO.

Interesting how our experience differ from one another. In my current set up (Teac UD-301 - MX-HPA - K812) they are the best sounding experience I've ever heard. Beating T1.2 Black, DT1990, DT880 Black, DT880 Edition 600ohm and K712 Pro.
Original backslash was because of the $1499msrp. That was just unacceptable.

I would have kept The k812 if they were cheaper. But they're worth about $500 used and I can't have anything that expensive without it getting regular headtime. I too prefer it over various dt880 versions, dt1990 and T1 (gen1), k701(never heard k712), he400i etc.

But AKG is more expensive than those. It should be compared to Elear, elex, Ananda, lcd2, tr-x00. For about the same money I'd take any of those over k812. Well...maybe not Audeze as I find them too dark.

That one sided cable was also one extra reason to sell akg's. . If the wire between cups fails it is a pain to fix.

Sep 9, 2020 at 4:54 AM Post #140 of 296
I never tried eq with it. Treble definately would benefit from it. Midrange balance was actually quite good IMO.

I would have kept The k812 if they were cheaper.

Actually lower mids without SW are quite weak and thin on K812. You will notice huge difference and it makes you wonder why AKG tuned those cans that odd in the first place.

I think that because of hardware only and comfort they offer, that 900€ now is relatively cheap price for what you get.

Sep 9, 2020 at 7:12 AM Post #141 of 296

Original backslash was because of the $1499msrp. That was just unacceptable.

I would have kept The k812 if they were cheaper. But they're worth about $500 used and I can't have anything that expensive without it getting regular headtime. I too prefer it over various dt880 versions, dt1990 and T1 (gen1), k701(never heard k712), he400i etc.

But AKG is more expensive than those. It should be compared to Elear, elex, Ananda, lcd2, tr-x00. For about the same money I'd take any of those over k812. Well...maybe not Audeze as I find them too dark.

That one sided cable was also one extra reason to sell akg's. . If the wire between cups fails it is a pain to fix.
Well, I agree with all you said. I got them new in October 2016 for a very nice price (Amazon Flash sale). I myself wanted to pass them on couple times. But I prevailed. I incline to AKG sound signature and if those are supposed to be AKG TOTL model, than there must be more to them then what I heard - thin sounding and very bright. And I'm glad I did, as other TOTL models I tried (HD800 and T1.2 Black) didn't suit me. Now with my current setup I'm finally there - no SonarWorks, no EQ, and I LOVE them on all I listen to.
But - we all hear differently, we all prefer different things and our rigs are made of different components. That's why finding that right set up with right synergy to our ears is like finding a Unicorn... (OK, a bit easier than that... :beyersmile:)

Feb 2, 2021 at 2:00 PM Post #142 of 296
So I have been going on about a year now with AKG K812 pro's and am just supremely impressed with them. Which at first I was hesitant to get them because there were so many mixed reviews and complaints about them. But they are by far and above my favorite ultra high end.

I only have Audeze LCD-XC and HD800's to compare to, but compared to those the AKG K812 Pro beats them no question.

I understand why the K812's get mixed reviews, and that is because they are picky picky picky and so so revealing. I now have them running through a Schiit Lyr and Schiit Bifrost, and the difference between the stock tubes, and an alternative tube set, and the PSST solid state tubes is huge through the K812's. Some songs are absolutely unlistenable on the PSST and alternate tube set, they produce painful treble and ruin songs. But the stock Lyr tubes match the K812's very well.

Even with well matched dac, amp and tubes. Some songs, most songs still sound bad on the K812 pro's.

Which most people would say, what crazy person would buy, and what crazy company would manufacture a pair of headphones that are so detailed, so revealing that most amps, most dacs and most songs sound terrible through them?

Well, Me and AKG :D

The songs that are good through the AKG K812's are so so so so good. To me it is the absolute top tier. Getting the K812's, matched dac, amp, tubes and album well mastered for them. This is like the 8k of audio, it is the HD of HD. Only the most supremely well produced and well designed dac/amps show off the K812's. It is a radical minority of tracks that deserve to be played through such a setup. But for the songs that match it, it brings up to a level beyond what anything else can.

I basically now have a K812 music collection that I reserve for when I really want to just sink into music and be immersed, because those albums on the k812 are better than anything to me. For everything else I have my Audeze's which mask things a bit more.

So some albums that really shine for the K812's. Basically any of the 24-bit masters from this label:
https://ultimae.bandcamp.com

There are also three albums by a guy named 'Solar Fields', the album are called Red, Green and Blue. Not 24-bit, but they are mastered in such a way that is supreme through the K812's.

Also to actually talk about the K812's, the thing about them that is so good. Spatial and depth! The ability for them to recreate 3D spatial depth is beyond anything else I've heard, but albums must be produced in a particular way to do this.

In a way I am a bit saddened the K812's aren't heralded as amazing by all. It makes me worry that more K812 like headphones won't be made as much. That manufacturers will dumb down and make their headphones less revealing in order to cover up bad amps, dacs and recordings. Personally I would rather headphone companies keep pushing to make headphones as revealing as possible. Then music, dacs and amps are created to keep up with that level of revealing.

I love the AKG K812s out of my Questyle QP1R. LPG 2017 also does wonders for the K812. I will say that these headphones totally suck until they are fully burned in. I actually hated them when I first heard them. Now they are glorious! It takes hundreds upon hundreds of hours. Burn in is real with these.

Last edited:
May 31, 2021 at 6:15 AM Post #143 of 296
So I have been going on about a year now with AKG K812 pro's and am just supremely impressed with them. Which at first I was hesitant to get them because there were so many mixed reviews and complaints about them. But they are by far and above my favorite ultra high end.

I only have Audeze LCD-XC and HD800's to compare to, but compared to those the AKG K812 Pro beats them no question.

I understand why the K812's get mixed reviews, and that is because they are picky picky picky and so so revealing. I now have them running through a Schiit Lyr and Schiit Bifrost, and the difference between the stock tubes, and an alternative tube set, and the PSST solid state tubes is huge through the K812's. Some songs are absolutely unlistenable on the PSST and alternate tube set, they produce painful treble and ruin songs. But the stock Lyr tubes match the K812's very well.

Even with well matched dac, amp and tubes. Some songs, most songs still sound bad on the K812 pro's.

Which most people would say, what crazy person would buy, and what crazy company would manufacture a pair of headphones that are so detailed, so revealing that most amps, most dacs and most songs sound terrible through them?

Well, Me and AKG :D

The songs that are good through the AKG K812's are so so so so good. To me it is the absolute top tier. Getting the K812's, matched dac, amp, tubes and album well mastered for them. This is like the 8k of audio, it is the HD of HD. Only the most supremely well produced and well designed dac/amps show off the K812's. It is a radical minority of tracks that deserve to be played through such a setup. But for the songs that match it, it brings up to a level beyond what anything else can.

I basically now have a K812 music collection that I reserve for when I really want to just sink into music and be immersed, because those albums on the k812 are better than anything to me. For everything else I have my Audeze's which mask things a bit more.

So some albums that really shine for the K812's. Basically any of the 24-bit masters from this label:
https://ultimae.bandcamp.com

There are also three albums by a guy named 'Solar Fields', the album are called Red, Green and Blue. Not 24-bit, but they are mastered in such a way that is supreme through the K812's.

Also to actually talk about the K812's, the thing about them that is so good. Spatial and depth! The ability for them to recreate 3D spatial depth is beyond anything else I've heard, but albums must be produced in a particular way to do this.

In a way I am a bit saddened the K812's aren't heralded as amazing by all. It makes me worry that more K812 like headphones won't be made as much. That manufacturers will dumb down and make their headphones less revealing in order to cover up bad amps, dacs and recordings. Personally I would rather headphone companies keep pushing to make headphones as revealing as possible. Then music, dacs and amps are created to keep up with that level of revealing.
I totally agree with everything you said, these headphones ARE my end game no question, i was also very reticent about pulling the trigger on these cans purely based a couple of you tube videos that lets say wasn't very accomodating, then i went on the forums and found people like us who loved them to bits. The best review on youtube is Mike from Hi Fi insider, a guy i respect a lot and he summed it up by saying these are "honest" headphones in so much as it will show up bad recordings for what they are but that is totally the point of reference headphones surely? If you are listening to a well recorded piece of music i truly believe there is nothing that can beat these in the dynamic class of headphones. A true flagship reference model. The clarity , the sense of realism is quite honestly breathtaking. Soundstage is immense, vocals are so incredibly realistic its actually spooky when you hear some recordings lol.

Jun 6, 2021 at 11:33 AM Post #144 of 296
I've had a pair of Oppo PM-1 for almost a year now and they have sat in the box. I had to save for another few months to get the matching HA-1 and after a nightmare with a very delayed delivery, plus far too many phone calls, it was dead out of the box. This completely put me off it at the time and I ended up not getting one, as I had some major car problems that had to take priority. So now I'm in better circumstances and started looking around again. One of the headphones I ignored at the time were the AKG K812. What a mistake. A friend of mine recently bought some and I tried them out one evening while visiting. I am seriously considering selling the PM-1 to get a pair.

Maybe I should start a thread, but I'm wondering what to consider to power them. It seems they don't need as much as some headphones, but want to make sure they are not compromised with the wrong choice.
I power mine with an LPG 2017 and a QP1R. Both do a delightful job. I actually hated them when I first heard them. Now they are glorious! Burn in takes hundreds upon hundreds of hours. For these cans, burn in is real.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2021 at 11:39 AM Post #145 of 296
Cables were just fine, nothing with them. The problem lied in the wiring along the frame. I didn't bother with pinpointing the broken section and I sold them already.
Mine had the same issue and Harmon replaced the headphones for a 300 and odd dollar repair fee, since they were out of warranty.

Sep 18, 2021 at 6:31 AM Post #146 of 296
Hello from a newbie in Northern England.

I love my AKG K812 which I listen to through a Graham Slee Solo amp, Audiolab mDAC+ and either Bluesound Vault 2i or my Rega Planar 3.

I'd be very interested to know how to remove and replace the earpads though. I've bought some leather ones via ebay which I want to check but when I pull on the stock pads they feel as if they will be damaged by too much force. The stock ones still have some life left so I don't want them to be knackered. There's clearly a knack so any tips would be gratefully received.

Soz if this is answered somewhere else but I have scoured the internet for an answer.

Have a great day... John

Sep 20, 2021 at 5:48 AM Post #150 of 296
I'm curious. Let us know.
It worked so thanks very much for the video. There are 5 lugs that 5 corresponding holes on the earpads need to engage. An anti-clockwise twist of about 5mm removed the earpads and the reverse fitted the new ones.

Now I just need to work out how my new Chinese leather pads compare to the stock ones. They are a different design: more a traditional pad rather than the "hollow earcup" of the stock design. They are also a bit thicker. Initially I feel I have lost some of the soundstage I love about the K812s but that was based on a hasty session this morning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back