AKG K81 DJ or Noontec Zoro? Or other?
Oct 5, 2012 at 6:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

chavlet

New Head-Fier
Hi guys, I'm new here and to the audiophile way of life, too.
I need to buy some new headphones, as im sick of in ears having crappy quality sound/breaking after 3 months, and want to get sealed over/on ear headphones.

I mainly listen to Grime (UK Rap with a dancier style beat and faster rapping), hiphop, and rap.

So basically I need these headphones for general use, to listen to them while walking down the street, doing schoolwork or in the gym, and various other situations too, so they need to have OK noise cancelling. I'm looking to spend ~£80 max (I can get the Noontecs for £45 or the AKGs for £35, so anything more expensive will have to pay dividends in sound quality/noise cancellation/durability). The headphones MUST be able to withstand being put in a backpack and carried around for the whole day, every weekday, so no flimsy headphones that break easily, as I'd like these to last atleast 9 months if not more. 

BTW they will be used with an iPhone 3GS if that makes any difference.

Thanks in advance.

Oct 6, 2012 at 3:44 AM Post #2 of 11
I own the AKG 518 LE which I believe it's the same headphone, they are well isolating and are made to last but they won't suit you for the gym, they will hurt you after a while and the pads will make you sweat, I can say anything about the noontec, why not buy some good IEM?

Oct 6, 2012 at 7:06 AM Post #3 of 11
Quote:
I own the AKG 518 LE which I believe it's the same headphone, they are well isolating and are made to last but they won't suit you for the gym, they will hurt you after a while and the pads will make you sweat, I can say anything about the noontec, why not buy some good IEM?

i hate IEMs, ive owned alot of them in the past and they just dont have as good sound quality and break so god damn easily

Oct 6, 2012 at 12:25 PM Post #4 of 11
Phillips downtown has good isolation and is showing up online for good prices.

JVC HA-S500 or 400 might be options.

Sony V55 are also a very nice sounding on ear.

Panasonic RP-HXT7 is an over ear option that would have a bit more isolation and comfort.

Oct 6, 2012 at 12:46 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:
Phillips downtown has good isolation and is showing up online for good prices.
JVC HA-S500 or 400 might be options.
Sony V55 are also a very nice sounding on ear.
Panasonic RP-HXT7 is an over ear option that would have a bit more isolation and comfort.

hmm, thinking about the Philips Citiscape Downtowns, although my worry is that I'll look bent wearing them...
what pros do they have over the Zoros/AKGs

Oct 6, 2012 at 12:53 PM Post #6 of 11
Better isolation and comfort. Sound wise it will depend on preference. The Downtown actually looks pretty good BTW. But if you something that looks like Beats the Noontec is the one.

Oct 6, 2012 at 2:03 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:
Better isolation and comfort. Sound wise it will depend on preference. The Downtown actually looks pretty good BTW. But if you something that looks like Beats the Noontec is the one.

hmm. kind of leaning towards the AKGs atm, can get them real cheap and they seem pretty robust. what do you think?

Oct 6, 2012 at 3:56 PM Post #8 of 11
The AKG are made to last, the are mostly plastic, but good quality and very robust, the RP-HXT7 are crap in SQ, the construction is ok but they pale in comparison to the AKG, the sonys V6 and the ZX700 seems to be a good alternative I haven't heard them tought.

Oct 6, 2012 at 5:23 PM Post #9 of 11
The AKG's will be solidly built. I have not owned any of their new portable models but they do look like they are built well.

Oct 10, 2012 at 12:44 AM Post #10 of 11
The AKG's have actually lasted longer than any other pair of portables for me (about 3 years), and despite what people have said I actually use them mainly for working out these days.  Your ears will get hot but the sound/isolation is great and they're very light and durable.  I accidentally bought the LE which is exactly the same but has a shorter cord, and bc of this it's been accidentally yanked out at awkward angles numerous times yet hasn't shown any sign of wear

Oct 10, 2012 at 1:07 AM Post #11 of 11
I actually broke my original pair when it was less than a month old, the cable jammed whith something I and pulled it without notice it, the rather thin and straight 3.5 mm jack broke, thankfully the store applied me the warranty and I got a new pair, I have used them for running on a threadmill and I find them very unconfortable, they make my ears sweat and the band lacks any padding so I don't recommend them for work out, the isolation is ok, but I would rather use a IEM for those purposes. I know that the OP doesnt want any IEM, but I still think those are better suited for working out and isolation, there are many IEM that will outlast some portable headphones and sound very good at it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back