Akg k7xx vs Hd 598
Jan 17, 2016 at 2:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Durza

Head-Fier
So the Akg k7xx massdrop drop is ending soon and I'm really interested in buying. The only thing keeping me back is that I really don't know how they compare to my current best headphones, the hd598's. I love many genres, I can enjoy almost any music, but my current favorites are rock(older stuff like Boston and Journey), edm, jazz and rap. In my opinion both rap and edm need a stronger bass bass presence than the hd598's can give me. They certainly have bass, but you don't feel it as much as some of my other open headphones. I'm not really a basshead, but I just feel like the hd598's are a bit bass lacking. Will the k7xx have more bass? and how do they compare in other areas?

Jan 17, 2016 at 10:45 PM Post #2 of 3
Get the AKG K7XX headphones.
But they need to be driven by a decent headphone amplifier to sound their best.
I believe Massdrop also has the Bravo Ocean tube headphone amplifier, for $80.

Jan 18, 2016 at 4:18 AM Post #3 of 3
I know the K712 isn't technically the K7XX (they are very similar though), but I wrote this review where I compared the K712 to the HD598, which might give you an idea: http://www.head-fi.org/products/akg-k712-pro/reviews/10344

Even when very well-amped, I've never found an AKG K7-series headphone to have particularly strong bass. (I've owned most of the K7-series models over the years, since the original K701 back in 2006, and have heard them out of a variety of amps too.) So I'd recommend against one if you want more bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back