AKG K7XX, Unsatisfying sound.
Dec 31, 2016 at 12:19 AM Post #19 of 22
  Don't worry I'll put this in the fire place since a lot of ppl are saying these aren't good. no sub bass despite being open can.+

Open cans let in a lot of ambient noise that obscures the low bass more than any other range of the response. On top of that, a closed headphone also bounces the soundwaves around inside the sealed cup a lot more. The dampening is typically focused on working on every other part of the range where the bouncing soundwaves will have obvious problems, whereas when it comes to bass, short of making it boomy or loose, some boost will tend to be considered a bonus.

Dec 31, 2016 at 7:07 AM Post #22 of 22

At 62Ohm nominal impedance and 105 dB SPL/mW it is fairly easy to drive.

You might be experiencing the effect of the impedance curve at low frequencies. This is correctable with EQ or using a source that is better matched in terms of impedance at that frequency.  

Actually its 105 dB SPL/V which is quite a lot different than 105 dB SPL/mW. To get to 110 dB SPL it would require 3mW If it was 105 dB SPL/mW but if it is 105 dB SPL/V it would requires 51mW which is significantly more. Granted I'm sure his sound card outputs enough power for that but I just wanted to clear up any misunderstandings. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back