AKG K7XX Massdrop Limited Edition Headphones vs Beyerdynamic DT990's 250ohm
Jun 19, 2017 at 7:24 AM Post #16 of 21
Sorry for bumping an old thread. I am a long time lurker but only just got around to joining.

I just got the K7XX myself a couple of weeks ago in a new and sealed eBay deal for £116, I am very impressed with them. I also have the DT990 Pro but they were with a friend for a few years and I only got them back recently. I love both sets of phones for different reasons. I think I will end up selling off my now redundant AKG K550 and keeping the DT990 and K7XX. I am running them both from my LG V20 and find the output brilliant. Playing a combo of FLAC and Spotify Extreme. Certainly the V20 output is good enough for the likes of me. Hehe.

A couple of years on, how are you finding the K7XX? I'm struggling to imagine how much better they could sound post break in, did you notice much of a change?

Need help choosing guys. This will be my first set of expensive cans.

AKG K7XX Massdrop Limited Edition $200

Description taken from the massdrop page:

Massdrop x AKG

In 2012, AKG released the 65th anniversary edition of their K702 to instant acclaim. Built with a bass boost, improved comfort, and matched transducers, the limited edition K702 became a legend in the audiophile community for its sound and build quality. Following the success of the Q701 drop in June, we asked AKG if we could configure our own edition of the K702 65th, and they agreed based on their faith in the Massdrop community. Configured by Massdrop, manufactured by AKG, and made possible by you, the AKG K7XX Massdrop Limited Edition Headphones bring you rare sound at an even rarer price.

Matched Response

Using the same dynamic driver technology as the K702 65th Anniversary Edition, the open back headphones have been tweaked to deliver an extended frequency response and a wide, locationally specific soundstage that puts you closer to the source than most cans. The highs were boosted by an innovative flat-wire voice coil, the mids were brought up to better balance the range, and the lows were jacked up by 3 dB for fully immersive sound imaging. To make sure that the channels are synced up and well-balanced, each transducer is individually tested and paired to a transducer with the closest possible sound signature. To see just how well the channels match, look at the below graph featuring an overlay of each driver's frequency response.

Well Put Together

Built with your comfort in mind, the adjustable leather headband and memory foam earpads can be worn for hours at a time without fatigue. AKG removed the bumps that come standard on their headbands, giving you a fully smooth surface. Completing the package, the nearly 10’ cable is detachable and can be easily replaced if the need arises.

Specs

1. Configured by Massdrop
  2. Manufactured by AKG
  3. Open-back construction
  4. Pre-selected dynamic transducers
  5. Flat-wire voice coil
  6. Varimotion two-layer diaphragm
  7. Genuine leather headband
  8. Memory foam earpads with velour covering
  9. Individually tested and numbered
  10. Detachable 9.8 ft (3 m) straight cable with 1/8 in (3.5 mm) jack
  11. Frequency response: 10 to 39,800 Hz
  12. Sensitivity: 105 dB/V
  13. Maximum input power: 200 mW
  14. Rated impedance: 62 Ohms
  15. 8.3 oz (235 g)

I do plan on buying a magni 2 amp and will eventually need to buy a modi 2 for a DAC. So powering these 62 Ohm cans shouldn't be a problem. But is it worth the 200 compared to picking up a set of 990's 250 ohm used for half the price. I listen to all types of music and plan on using these for gaming as well. Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks guys.

Jun 20, 2017 at 12:27 AM Post #18 of 21
Sorry for bumping an old thread. I am a long time lurker but only just got around to joining.

I just got the K7XX myself a couple of weeks ago in a new and sealed eBay deal for £116, I am very impressed with them. I also have the DT990 Pro but they were with a friend for a few years and I only got them back recently. I love both sets of phones for different reasons. I think I will end up selling off my now redundant AKG K550 and keeping the DT990 and K7XX. I am running them both from my LG V20 and find the output brilliant. Playing a combo of FLAC and Spotify Extreme. Certainly the V20 output is good enough for the likes of me. Hehe.

A couple of years on, how are you finding the K7XX? I'm struggling to imagine how much better they could sound post break in, did you notice much of a change?

Just wondering, if you had to keep one, which one would it be?

Also, what is your music preference? Thanks :)

Jun 23, 2017 at 4:58 AM Post #19 of 21
Just wondering, if you had to keep one, which one would it be?

Also, what is your music preference? Thanks :)
Hello, sorry that I am only just replying.

The DT990 are very fun and their V shape makes electronic stuff really shine. But the K7XX is more consistent to my ears.

So... At the moment, it would be the K7XX. They just seem to be more honest and do everything well. Their sonic capabilities are only getting better with use. I am not a subscriber to the set them playing and walk away burn in method. I quite like to hear the subtle changes as they open up, including the awkward tweenie stage where everything goes a bit unrefined. I absolutely loved my K550 but the K7XX do everything that they can and more so I sent the K550 to my friend in the Netherlands. I will be getting his HD565 Ovations which he has had from new for around 20 years. I have two pairs of cheaper Senns that my 5 year old now uses HD490 Live and HD448. I liked both when I got them so I am looking forward to trying the HD565. I remember What HiFi praising them in the late 90's.

I listen to a fairly broad range of music, the only thing I have no interest in really is Opera. If pushed I could narrow my tastes down to either big riff progressive stuff or quirky electronica. But that would only be by frequency of play, I listen to a bit of everything to be honest but noisy weirdness gets a good amount of my ear time.

How about yourself?

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2017 at 5:06 PM Post #20 of 21
Hello, sorry that I am only just replying.

The DT990 are very fun and their V shape makes electronic stuff really shine. But the K7XX is more consistent to my ears.

So... At the moment, it would be the K7XX. They just seem to be more honest and do everything well. Their sonic capabilities are only getting better with use. I am not a subscriber to the set them playing and walk away burn in method. I quite like to hear the subtle changes as they open up, including the awkward tweenie stage where everything goes a bit unrefined. I absolutely loved my K550 but the K7XX do everything that they can and more so I sent the K550 to my friend in the Netherlands. I will be getting his HD565 Ovations which he has had from new for around 20 years. I have two pairs of cheaper Senns that my 5 year old now uses HD490 Live and HD448. I liked both when I got them so I am looking forward to trying the HD565. I remember What HiFi praising them in the late 90's.

I listen to a fairly broad range of music, the only thing I have no interest in really is Opera. If pushed I could narrow my tastes down to either big riff progressive stuff or quirky electronica. But that would only be by frequency of play, I listen to a bit of everything to be honest but noisy weirdness gets a good amount of my ear time.

How about yourself?

If "honest and everything well" it something you're interested in, I'd highly suggest you check out the Hifiman he-400i. I'm only recommending it because it is a very well balanced headphone, and being a planar, it's "fast". It would be a good fit for quirky electronica. And to top it all off, I think they sell for around $200 compared to the original release price of $450+ :)

I never had the K7XX, but I had the K712 and the DT990 at one point. I would agree, if I could only keep one, it would be the K712.. it does everything very well, and it's comfortable.

In the end though, I ended up selling it because I felt the mids and highs were slightly recessed. My current favorite pair of headphones are Grado RS2e with TTVJ deluxe pads. The bass is punchier, the highs are a little more clear, and the mids are fantastic. The K712 takes the cake for soundstage though.

Jun 24, 2017 at 5:20 AM Post #21 of 21
If "honest and everything well" it something you're interested in, I'd highly suggest you check out the Hifiman he-400i. I'm only recommending it because it is a very well balanced headphone, and being a planar, it's "fast". It would be a good fit for quirky electronica. And to top it all off, I think they sell for around $200 compared to the original release price of $450+ :)

I never had the K7XX, but I had the K712 and the DT990 at one point. I would agree, if I could only keep one, it would be the K712.. it does everything very well, and it's comfortable.

In the end though, I ended up selling it because I felt the mids and highs were slightly recessed. My current favorite pair of headphones are Grado RS2e with TTVJ deluxe pads. The bass is punchier, the highs are a little more clear, and the mids are fantastic. The K712 takes the cake for soundstage though.
They look very nice indeed although seem more expensive still here, I would be castrated with a rusty spoon if I bought more headphones now though I will have a look in the future. I expect I will get away with it if I do the One in One out routine that I used to do with my guitars and basses.

I have been looking at the Grado's myself but had to stop for now at least. Maybe when I get my next bonus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back