AKG K712 vs (AKG K612 + AMP)
Jun 4, 2020 at 9:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

mrjames

New Head-Fier
Hi there,

A few days ago I returned a pair of Soundmagic HP200 due to its poor quality build (more details here) and started looking for a portable amp to drive a new pair of AKG K612. Then I realised that, for the same price (K612 + amp) I can get the K712, which is 62 Ohms. Is that still to high to plug it directly to my laptop/phone? Which option is better?:

a) K612 + portable amp.
b) K712 with out amp.

Jun 4, 2020 at 10:49 AM Post #2 of 16
The 62-Ohm AKG K700 series of headphones are fairly power demanding.
Slightly more power demanding then my 250-Ohm Beyer headphones.

Headphones in 25-Ohm to 50-Ohm range, is what I would use with portable (battery powered) sources.

Jun 4, 2020 at 2:03 PM Post #4 of 16
Well, option A it is.
Here is the thing about getting a different, low impedance, headphones: I've just tried that and it didn't work out. crap happens, I know. I just feel like going for something I'm familiar with. Could you recommend an amp to drive the K612?
I would first try and talk you out of the K612, not something I would use with portable audio source.
For the combied budget of headphone and amplifier, you could get some nice low impedance (Ohm) Headphones.
But other wise check out the FiiO A5 head amp.

Jun 4, 2020 at 2:51 PM Post #5 of 16
Can you think of a low impedance alternative other than the HP200?

Say I don't go for the portable option. The only time I take my headphones out of my room is to do chores around the house. I can live with out that. And I never wear full size headphones outside. Could you recommend a non-portable amp instead? And how do these work? I assume they don't use a battery?

Also, I couldn't find the FiiO A5, but I did find these other three: A1, A3 and E10K. Any of those is a good alternative?

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2020 at 3:17 PM Post #6 of 16

Say I don't go for the portable option. The only time I take my headphones out of my room is to do chores around the house. I can live with out that. And I never wear full size headphones outside. Could you recommend a non-portable amp instead? And how do these work? I assume they don't use a battery?

Also, I couldn't find the FiiO A5, but I did find these other three: A1, A3 and E10K. Any of those is a good alternative?
Audio Technica, Shure, Beyerdynamic, Sennheiser, offer lower Ohm headphones.
E10K is a DAC/amp
Here is a used Fiio A5.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/FiiO-a5-Po...929977&hash=item263c80a3f8:g:3ZcAAOSwtVpe0Q8k

Jun 4, 2020 at 3:33 PM Post #7 of 16
A few days ago I tried the K612 on a mobile device and on an audio interface. It was the brightest headphone I have ever heard. I don't believe that it get's less bright without EQ, no matter what the amp is. It was not the "underpowered" bright due to weak bass, I believe. It's meant to be EQ'd IMO.

Jun 4, 2020 at 6:06 PM Post #8 of 16
Is that a bad thing? I guess it all comes down to personal preference. I for one can't stand "bassy" cans, nor IEM's/closed back headphones. I like to feel the music around me rather than coming from two sources attached to my ears, if that makes sense; to listen to music in the open rathen than in a club, where it gets a little bit claustophobic. That's the feeling I get with the K612 on.

Audio Technica, Shure, Beyerdynamic, Sennheiser, offer lower Ohm headphones.
E10K is a DAC/amp
Here is a used Fiio A5.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/FiiO-a5-Po...929977&hash=item263c80a3f8:g:3ZcAAOSwtVpe0Q8k

Thank you, but I'm not from the US. I'll try to look into it a little bit more.

Jun 4, 2020 at 7:09 PM Post #9 of 16
Is that a bad thing? I guess it all comes down to personal preference. I for one can't stand "bassy" cans, nor IEM's/closed back headphones. I like to feel the music around me rather than coming from two sources attached to my ears, if that makes sense; to listen to music in the open rathen than in a club, where it gets a little bit claustophobic. That's the feeling I get with the K612 on.

Thank you, but I'm not from the US. I'll try to look into it a little bit more.

Sorry, I was thinking you had not yet bought and listened to the K612.

I had the K701 and K702 at some time, and I was surprised how different (brighter) the K612 is and had to send it back. And I believe there might be some sound change dependening on how it sits on the head? Anyway, my K612 was harsh as can be. If yours is good, that's good.

Jun 5, 2020 at 3:36 PM Post #10 of 16
I would first try and talk you out of the K612, not something I would use with portable audio source.
For the combied budget of headphone and amplifier, you could get some nice low impedance (Ohm) Headphones.
But other wise check out the FiiO A5 head amp.
I cannot find it anywhere. I think it's been discontinued. Could you recommend an alternative? Hopefully something that can be found in Amazon EU and the likes.

By the way, I've been reading quite a bit lately and I found a pair a cans that looks interesting, the Sennheisers HD58X, but apparently it's only avaliable in the US. Maybe the A5 too is only avaliable in the US?

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2020 at 7:36 PM Post #11 of 16
Jun 6, 2020 at 8:38 AM Post #12 of 16
You got me excited there for a moment. Unfortunately it's out of stock (and 2K requests, my gosh).

What about an amplifier? Anything that can be found in the EU? A new unit, as batteries for portable devices don't last long.

I've just found an used Schiit Magni 2 for sell for 75 euros (85 bucks). Is that any good? As you can see, I'm also considering now a desktop amp since I can't find a portable one.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2020 at 9:49 AM Post #14 of 16
Then I realised that, for the same price (K612 + amp) I can get the K712, which is 62 Ohms. Is that still to high to plug it directly to my laptop/phone? Which option is better?:

62ohms isn't too high.

Your problem is that without an amp it can even be too low. Also the sensitivity is kind of low compared to many other headphones.

The first problem may result in something good to your ears, subjectively; alternately it can do the exact opposite. But the second problem is that either way it'll either be a bit soft or you distort or clip the signal and really hear it.

You need to get an amp that has a bit over 512mW at 32ohms so you get about that much at 62ohms.

Here is the thing about getting a different, low impedance, headphones: I've just tried that and it didn't work out. crap happens, I know. I just feel like going for something I'm familiar with.

Depending on what you want to improve on the K612 now, an amp may not do enough to change what you hear. Amps only make sure the headphones sound their best; if there's an absolutely drastic difference, the amp or whatever you were using before that had enough distortion to alter the sound.

Depends...what kind of sound compromises can you live with?

You plug them into a power strip connected to your wall outlet

A1 - very tiny amp with less power than something like a Fiio X3

A3 - less power than A5

E10K - A lot of power for one using USB power but personally unless you need a convenient one at a second location like your work desk. Depending on what headphones you will power now and what upgrade options you'd want to keep or expansion options (ie you can add active speakers or a power amp driving speakers) open it may or may not be the best choice compared to other desktop amps.

Jun 8, 2020 at 3:02 PM Post #15 of 16
I was lucky enough to find a used Schiit Magni 3 for 75€ and I went for it. It will be powering a new pair of K612.

I dediced to this because:
a) I've already tried a pair of low impedance cans with no amp (Soundmagic hp200) and it didn't go well (quality build issues).
b) I couldn't find any of the recommended portable amps sold as a new unit. And I wouldn't get a used one because of battery issues (they don't last long).

Thank you all for your answers. I'll let you know whether I'm happy with the outcome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back