AKG K702
Jan 4, 2018 at 3:20 PM Post #5 of 8
I went from the Sennheiser HD600 to the AKG K702. I preferred the AKG because they had greater resolution. But now I'm eyeing the Focal Clear . . .

Jan 5, 2018 at 4:44 AM Post #6 of 8
HD600 and K702 are kind of opposites.

Bass
K702: linear and clear
HD600: mid-bassy, fuller, not as clean but more present

Mids
K702: More ethereal, borderline nasal tone
HD600: Similarly forward but more even and refined

Treble
K702: Sparkly although not the most resolving or extended
HD600: Softened/forgiving, easy on the ears, clean but lacking some attack

Soundstage:
K702: BIG
HD600: Intimate

Instrument separation and layering:
K702: Best in class, almost tool like
HD600: Cohesive sound - not an analytic tool

Headband:
K702: Not padded
HD600: Padded

Clamp
K702: Light
HD600: Hard (you can fix this by bending the metal with care, check tutorials)

Cable:
K702: Single side
HD600: Both sides

Box
K702: No box
HD600: Nice box

These can be considered complementary headphones. If you normally listen to audiophile recordings and enjoy doing critical listening then the AKG K702 might be better.
For a wider range of recordings and a less analytical listen the HD600 is a very good pick. It's particularly great at vocal rendering.

Dec 18, 2018 at 8:03 AM Post #7 of 8
I have both the K702 and HD600 and in my opinion the latter are far superior. They have a full natural sound compared to the K702 that sound kind of thin with artificial detail. The K702 have, in my opinion, some problems (dips) in the upper mids and treble that mask certain frequencies and make them cleaner sounding than they should be. The HD600, on the other hand, have the flattest frequency response of all headphones I have tested and the treble is wonderful. They are very detailed but still easy on the ears.

I use my headphones for producing and mixing music in my home studio and have done extensive tests on various brands and models in order to find the most truthful mixing cans. My reference point have been my Yamaha HS7 monitors which are a studio standard with very flat frequency response. In my opinion the HD600 came closest to the listening experience of my monitors.

I do love the K702 though, they have a fantastic soundstage which can be very enjoyable when you are in that mood. :)

Oct 18, 2021 at 9:33 AM Post #8 of 8
I've owned 2 Sennheiser HD600's, 3 years apart (2016 and 2019) I've never owned or heard the HD650 and that is because (1) I think it looks identical to the HD600 and (2) based on what I read about the HD650, I highly doubt I would find it very different sounding to the HD600. I have a suspicion that the main difference in sound between the 2 can be attributed to a bit of foam between the listeners ears and the drivers. Both the HD600 and the K702 are and always will be legendary headphones, but i'll admit i'm biased towards the K702, for many reasons, most notably for nostalgic/sentimental reasons (K702 was the first hifi quality open-back headphone I purchased back in 2008, it was my introduction to the world of reference grade headphones) but also because of it's sound. I have owned 4 K702's in total since 2008, it's the one I kept going back to. For me, it's just the way it sounds combined with it's technicalities, that gives it the edge compared to the HD600. And the K702 soundstage is so vast and expansive compared to HD600, which to me sounded very claustrophobic (very closed in - most closed back headphones i've heard, have a wider soundstage than the HD600) and not capable of improving with better amplification. In other words, very limited/restriced in it's perfomance compared to the K702, and most other open back headphones i've heard. But this is just my opinion. K702 is a very divisive headphone among enthusiasts but it will go down in history as one of the highest selling headphones of all time, and the HD600 still has a very devoted following. 🤷‍♂️

Users who are viewing this thread

Back