AKG K702 - Recabling Questions
Aug 19, 2014 at 10:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Eternalmetal

Head-Fier
I want to squeeze more clarity out of my AKG K702s and have read about people either making their own cables, rewiring and soldering different connectors, and/or using cables such as the Blue Dragon from Moon Audio.  I am going to be hooking my headphones up to a Schiit Lyr amp + Bifrost DAC.  If it would make the upgrade even more worthwhile, I have no problems with attempting taking apart the headphones and rewiring.  It would be an interesting project since I enjoy building things (never headphones though).

I was originally thinking of just buying the cable pre-made, but then as I was browsing for parts, I noticed products of higher build quality than the stock Switchcraft 3-pin XLR plugs, like the Cardas CG FXLR Female/Male XLR.  It got me thinking that it might be possible to upgrade those connections as well.  Or I could save some money and wire in something like the Moon Audio House XLR connector, but that might not be a significant enough upgrade to justify the rewiring process, and I would be better off with the stock connector since I wouldnt have to rewire the headphone.  Do I have the right idea if I were aiming to improve upon the stock wiring, or wont this work?  I am not an electrical engineer so im sorry if these are stupid questions.

A third option: wire in the 4-pin XLR while im at it and make them balanced. I know I dont have a balanced setup, but from what I understand the wiring of the 4-pin minimize noise, so if anything it would help improve the sound and all I would have to do extra is solder in an additional wire.

I look forward to any guidance/advice you all may have.

Aug 20, 2014 at 9:04 PM Post #3 of 3
  Don't confuse mini-XLR such as the AKG headphone cables, with XLR.

Ill keep that in mind, I guess some of the connectors I linked wont be easily modded into my AKGs.  When I decide to do it, I will wire in a Neutrik/Rean 4-pin mini-XLR connector.  

For the time being, I decided to just start with making a cable with the original 3-pin mini-XLR.  When/if I get a balanced amp I will rewire the internals.  Unless you modders can convince me that I will notice a qualitative difference in either hardwiring the cable or soldering in a more solid 4-pin connection, I am going to stick with stock and see if I like/can see the difference that a higher quality cable can make.  Not that I doubt an improvement, but keeping the stock connection allows me to get a better comparison of the differences in sound.

My current plan is to make a Blue Dragon cable with the Rean 3-pin mini-XLR connector and the Furutech FP704 1/4" TRS connector.   

Users who are viewing this thread

Back