Akg K702 listen impression/review
Jan 2, 2010 at 8:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 122

donthuang

500+ Head-Fier
The K702 isn't like his "love or hate" brother K701, and very few impression or discussion about this "studio ref headphone" . I guess that's because people always think K702 as a "datachable cable K701"

Recently i wanna a headphone to complement my DT990'05,because i find my 990 (about 2000 hours) sometimes too "sensitive" about environment, especially the voltage droping of home electric , Indeed 990 sounds fantasy,but it's too cosseted, i need a headphone more "stable" with more Immunity. So, i got one pair used K702.

Before i become a beyer fanboy (lol), i am a AKG fan, own one pair
AKG K240DF long term, and always dream about AKG would produce
a flagship can merge both strengths of K240M and K240DF, K701 is good, but not the headphone i expect.

When i got my K702 ,at first it sounds very horrible,Unnatural at all.
No Highs, no airiness, midhighs bumps, make vocal too "loud" like some bad horn speakers, midbass has strange "Plastic-like" colors. It's lucky
that i own a headphone that sound even bad than K702 when brand new, out of box- DT990, So i know K702 still lack burn-in, Just let this headphone burn-in with my amp one week.

After one week burn-in, K702 sounds really changed,very good, i feel
it's time can try to investigate my equipment to pair up K702, My headphone amp is something different: it has Gain "variable" switch, not only high gain or low gain , so i must try to find the best "gain-volume-bias" setting. DT990 need very very high gain (26dB)
and voltage swings, but K702 seems "like" much lower gain (8dB)setting, it's sounds better than average gain setting (18dB with HD650).Because My benchmark DAC1 output is setting to 0dB, so i can got enough volume when my amp setting lower gain.

Ok....here is my equipment list

Benchmark DAC1 > Amtech HA1 > K702 with stock cable/DT990
digital cable use supra cable "trico",interconnect cable use supra cable "DAC".

SO, how about K702 ?

At first i find it sounds slight "dry" than most "home-used" flagship, like DT990、HD650、K701, and somehow make the "contrast" lower, Maybe people would think this is "dark", but this is not brightness relate , just lower the contrast.

I also find K702 has very best dynamic,that's really amazing. IMO K702's dynamic range not wide as DT990, but far better than HD650,the same as K701. But in this dynamic range, K702 doing really good- very few dynamic compress, better than DT990、K701 and Old HD650.

People may think the "studio ref " is the most transparent, is "equipment's mirror" . I don't think K702 is the most transparent headphone i heard - at least a well-drived HD650/990 can beat K702 in transparency. Indeed K702 is very clarity, but the "glass windows " still here, not disappear like DT990, HD650, even K701 - i guess that's because the "dry" characters of K702.

About the sound quality....i am tired of describe this, just simply sum up.

1. Highs: Not extend as HD650, Not bright as K701, very close DT990:Glass-like, not crystal-like, no sparkly,just solidity. DT990 s' more delicate, K702 more sweet.

2.Mid :Balance , simple , rich texture, dynamic, clarity.

Not as smooth or hugh as DT990 that with velvet-like lush tone, just
rich of tension and texture. IMO K702 has more rich midbass-bass amount than K701, close a well controlled HD650.

3.Bass: Rich and punch bass, but not deep as DT990 and HD650.

Not like K701's bass that somehow i expect more .K702's bass just enough for most music.

4.Head stage: Average. Not as huge as DT990, not as 3D-like as K701,bigger than HD650 , very accurate and stable.

(IMO, HD650's head stage really not as good as those "2005 flagships")

5.Compare with K701 : I can confirm the two headphone's ear pad、damper in front of driver is different
No sure the housing's(especially "Skirt") material is different.

To my ear the two sounds really different. i prefer K702 more than K701.

Conclusion

Compare my another favorite DT990, K702 not has the same ability "to bring you to The Village Vanguard or Große Saal"
but just honest play back what has been recorded.

When listens K702, I knew K702 still not the headphone that mix up K240M and K240DF, indeed they are all studio use, but K702's tone more natural and neutral than K240M/DF. It's the "new" Akg sound, just like K701, although i am very satisfied, because even "new", AKG is Akg, not changed much, Not "perfect sound like good student" , just no compromise to it's own ideal.

Jan 2, 2010 at 9:33 AM Post #2 of 122
From your impression sound to me that you have around 60-80 hours burn in top. I hope soon with the burn in process the glass windows will open for you and you can truly see what the K-702 can offer. I'll be very curios to hear your impression around 120 to 150 hours, and to see if you find any differences in the sound.

Thanks for your impression.

Jan 2, 2010 at 10:35 AM Post #3 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From your impression sound to me that you have around 60-80 hours burn in top. I hope soon with the burn in process the glass windows will open for you and you can truly see what the K-702 can offer. I'll be very curios to hear your impression around 120 to 150 hours, and to see if you find any differences in the sound.

Thanks for your impression.

Hello, in fact this K702 is a used headphone, according previous owner says, it's about half years old, just a few weeks no use, so i only spent one week burn-in time to "wake" it up. Of course i would spent more time on K702, Thanks for your valuable advice, Very exciting if this "glass window" will open in future.
beyersmile.png

Jan 2, 2010 at 11:13 AM Post #4 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by donthuang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello, in fact this K702 is a used headphone, according previous owner says, it's about half years old, just a few weeks no use, so i only spent one week burn-in time to "wake" it up. Of course i would spent more time on K702, Thanks for your valuable advice, Very exciting if this "glass window" will open in future.
beyersmile.png

They will keep to chance over the next 6 months, it's amazing to notice the differences in the sound and to keep track of the changes. New and better cable can help too, I build my cable with the Mogami W2534 quad microphone cable. Here is more info: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f21/ak...-cable-378255/
k701smile.gif

Jan 2, 2010 at 11:21 AM Post #5 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They will keep to chance over the next 6 months, it's amazing to notice the differences in the sound and to keep track of the changes. New and better cable can help too, I build my cable with the Mogami W2534 quad microphone cable. Here is more info: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f21/ak...-cable-378255/
k701smile.gif

Wah! That's indeed very helpful . I would continus report my impression if got the new cable, thx the info.
k701smile.gif

p.s. not K702smile? XD

Jan 2, 2010 at 2:42 PM Post #6 of 122
When I listened to a 701 in a shop, the sound seemed to come from outside your head (a much alked about feature of the 701s)...

I just got the 702, (but no headphone amplifier yet, as it is out of stock) and when I listen to music from a computer sound card or Cowan device, it seemed as if the sound is inside your head, like other headphones...

Is this sound stage effect dependent on the headphone amplifier, or is the 702 different in this regard to the 701s?

Any experience here would be great to hear about!

Jan 2, 2010 at 3:30 PM Post #8 of 122
donthuang: Enjoyed reading your impressions. Can you compare the strengths/weaknesses of the k702 with the k240DF? The DF sounds very evenly balanced...or 'neutral'/flat... to my ears... and very transparent...just a little too light and thin without much weight to the sound, though that may be partly due to my emu 0404 amp. I am considering an upgrade to the 70X if I get a better amp. Would the k702 be a major upgrade over the 240DF? This is for studio use. My lack of decent room treatment makes it impossible to rely solely on my speakers.

Jan 2, 2010 at 3:54 PM Post #9 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by musico /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When I listened to a 701 in a shop, the sound seemed to come from outside your head (a much alked about feature of the 701s)...

I just got the 702, (but no headphone amplifier yet, as it is out of stock) and when I listen to music from a computer sound card or Cowan device, it seemed as if the sound is inside your head, like other headphones...

Is this sound stage effect dependent on the headphone amplifier, or is the 702 different in this regard to the 701s?

Any experience here would be great to hear about!

Hello musico, i believe you would need a headphone amp-with strong
current output.

K702 would sounds too bright and thin if amp lack enough current, so i don't recommend mid-fi Tube amp.

Jan 2, 2010 at 4:43 PM Post #10 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by lejaz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
donthuang: Enjoyed reading your impressions. Can you compare the strengths/weaknesses of the k702 with the k240DF? The DF sounds very evenly balanced...or 'neutral'/flat... to my ears... and very transparent...just a little too light and thin without much weight to the sound, though that may be partly due to my emu 0404 amp. I am considering an upgrade to the 70X if I get a better amp. Would the k702 be a major upgrade over the 240DF? This is for studio use. My lack of decent room treatment makes it impossible to rely solely on my speakers.

Hello, another DF user
biggrin.gif

K702 is one big step above of DF,in headstage、freq extend、dynamics....and more. But they are very different.

1. DF need voltage swings, but K702 need currents. and K702 need headphone amps more quality than DF.

2.the two headphone's tone is different, although DF's freq response not as extend as K702,DF's mid more forward and straight than K702, i guess that's because DF's MIDBASS is tighter and lesser amount than K702.

3.If you like the transparent of DF, i would recommend K701, but K701 is much more equipments-depend than K702,that's the problem of $$$ (sigh...)

Jan 2, 2010 at 4:45 PM Post #11 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by donthuang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello, another DF user
biggrin.gif

3.If you like the transparent of DF, i would recommend K701, but K701 is much more equipments-depend than K702,that's the problem of $$$ (sigh...)

The 701 and 702 have the same drivers.

Ian

Jan 2, 2010 at 4:53 PM Post #12 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank I /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The only difference is the detachable cable and color otherwise identical sounding cans

Are you sure?
bigsmile_face.gif

That's the picture from chinese headphone forums.

Left is K701

200812258ae518b2e259f79.jpg

upper is K701

200812250c8c80b139b2824.jpg

Jan 2, 2010 at 5:06 PM Post #13 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by iancraig10 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 701 and 702 have the same drivers.

Ian

The same drivers, but not means they both working in the same environment.
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back