AKG K702 burn in...
Nov 3, 2009 at 9:35 PM Post #16 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by - Sonic Boom - /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just one question. I have the Grace M902 and I know it's highly regarded here as a great AMP/DAC combo. I'm just wondering would the build in SS AMP in the Grace M902 have no trouble driving the AKG K702 to the max?
redface.gif

I'm happy with the K701/m902 combo. I've tried to learn as much as I can about the Grace, as well as competing products, but I only have my personal opinion to go by.

It seems the main strength of the Grace is in its headphone amplifying circuits's ability to provide plenty of current into low impedance loads. I strongly doubt it has any weakness at all in driving K701/K702's. I wouldn't say it was the best amp out there at all, but I don't think it gives up much to the top tier competition in its ability to put out plenty of quality power. As a headphone amplifier, I strongly suspect that you could buy some more refinement in sound quality, but it might be at considerably more cost. I have to admit though, that I don't know as much about tube amps, except that I heard some very nice Woo amps at RMAF in Denver last month.

I bought the Grace and the k701's at the same time, not only for its strong headphone amp, but also thinking the rich sound of the Grace would pair well with the detailed sound of the K701's.

I'm going out on a limb here, over generalizing, and probably inviting a lot of disagreement, but my gut feeling pegs the Grace m902's headphone amp section as somewhere in the top 20% of headphone amps.

The analog out section of the Grace is also very good, but like just about all equipment, it does have a sound signature. Thankfully, I enjoy its sound as being full textured. I am using it as my main system pre-amp, not only because I think it sounds good, but because of all the different inputs it has. And I'm using every one of them!

Nov 4, 2009 at 5:10 AM Post #20 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by - Sonic Boom - /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been reading up on this headphone. It's been stated several times that at least a 300 hour burn in time is necessary before you start criticizing them.
confused_face.gif

Stated by people who believe in burn in, of course.

Not everyone does.

Nov 4, 2009 at 5:49 AM Post #21 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drubbing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Stated by people who believe in burn in, of course.

Not everyone does.

True. But the easiest thing to do is burn them in for 300 hours, and then the question becomes academic. Or to put it another way, if he burns them in for 300 hours, then he'll eliminate the lack of burn-in (whether it is a valid concern or not) as a possible cause of his sibilance.
wink_face.gif

Nov 4, 2009 at 8:19 AM Post #22 of 24
Just from an email i got today.. :p

Quote:

Originally Posted by Original Email
Hello,

It is well established amongst both consumers and professionals that there
is such thing as "burn in". I was wondering if you would have a recommended
number of hours of "burn in" for the AKG K701 (either your own personal
preference or a generic number AKG hands out would suffice).

Thanks,
Ken

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reply From AKG
Thank you for contacting AKG.
Congratulations for your new AKG K 701 headphones.
From our experience and knowledge we cannot confirm that there is a burn in
effect of the transducers taking place.
Normally the sound of headphones changes only over many years and then
mainly caused by the ear pads (less low end since the ear pads get more
densely by sweat etc.).
However, during the first hours of use of headphones, the ear pads - in the
beginning a little stiff - start to accommodate to the users ears and head
and the sealing becomes better, as a result the bass can be increased a
little, on the other hand the distance between the headphones and the ear
may become closer, i.e. fewer air volume between ears and headphones is
available and thus less bass.

Well, personally after burning mine in about 300 hours (i think), i never never noticed any difference from when i first got them. I noticed a huge improvement after i upgraded my source/amplifier. However, at first i found the headphones awfully sibilant. I got used to it (i feel this is what happened) and yeah. My source is known to be quite bright (my 3move) so.. we'll see what happens when i get my new DAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back