AKG K702 Build your own cable...
Jul 16, 2009 at 10:18 PM Post #61 of 128
The last 702 cable I made was with the larger cable. It just takes more time to do the small work. The cable build is the same for both sizes, It's just a smaller diameter. IMHO, as the length is usualy under 3 meters for a headphone cable, the smaller diameter cable would represent no significant audible difference so I would start with that and see if it even makes a difference for you before attempting the larger cable.

Jul 16, 2009 at 10:52 PM Post #62 of 128
I have a custom Locus Design Group (parent company of Cryoparts) cable for my K702. It is a major improvement in every area over the stock cable. If you guys are going to make your own cable, I'd highly suggest you pick up some of Cryoparts "The Wire" to make it with. It got a lot of positive feedback at the L.A. Meet.

Jul 17, 2009 at 12:19 AM Post #63 of 128
Thanks for the help Boomy. I'm going to put in an order for a W2893 based cable tomorrow and I'll post my impressions in here if they're useful enough to add.

Chris @ Redco has been very helpful as well, was quick in responding to my questions.

Feb 14, 2010 at 1:37 AM Post #65 of 128
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seamaster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mogami saved my K271s I was going to sell them. Cardas is boring compare to Mogami.

Good to know, do you used the Mogami 4 conductor cable (W2534)?

Feb 21, 2010 at 8:41 PM Post #66 of 128
Mar 3, 2010 at 2:45 AM Post #67 of 128
Quote:

Originally Posted by Prog Rock Man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I want to make my own cable as well. The last few posts about the problems with the size of the mini XLR, working on it and getting a decent cable to fit made me think of an alternative. What about making it with a 'full sized' XLR and then using an adaptor like this

Adaptor - Mini XLR Female to XLR Male 3-Pin Adapter on eBay (end time 24-Feb-10 03:11:23 GMT)

This will be heavy on the headphones and will drag them down. Probably won't be comfortable to wear. It's possible to do that with the mini XLR and mic cable, but you really need to work carefully on the mini XLR. Soon I'll post photos of my cable. But if you try the adapter, please let us know how it works.

Mar 3, 2010 at 9:28 AM Post #68 of 128
Apr 19, 2010 at 2:28 PM Post #69 of 128
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fungi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I did a little searching a while ago and found that Switchcraft makes a version of the TA3F with a larger opening (basically no rubber tail to remove) called the TA3FL but I've only been able to find it here (link)

I can confirm that the TA3F has too small an opening with its strain relief and the plastic casing feels very flimsy. I cannot get it to screw back into place on the cable I made with Van Damme's thinnest microphone wire, 24AWG Pro Grade Classic XKE 3.5mm diameter.

4531915506_b6d92964c2_b.jpg

Jun 27, 2010 at 5:45 PM Post #70 of 128

Quote:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fungi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I did a little searching a while ago and found that Switchcraft makes a version of the TA3F with a larger opening (basically no rubber tail to remove) called the TA3FL but I've only been able to find it here (link)

I can confirm that the TA3F has too small an opening with its strain relief and the plastic casing feels very flimsy. I cannot get it to screw back into place on the cable I made with Van Damme's thinnest microphone wire, 24AWG Pro Grade Classic XKE 3.5mm diameter.

4531915506_b6d92964c2_b.jpg

It's possible to do that, but you'll need to be gentle when you soldering. I also cut the end/half of the metal part, I use only the first half of the metal part that grab the annoying white plastic.

Aug 5, 2010 at 10:11 AM Post #72 of 128
Can anyone with a completed cable that they are happy with provide links to each connector and cable/wrap they ended up using?

Sep 13, 2010 at 9:36 PM Post #73 of 128

Quote:
Can anyone with a completed cable that they are happy with provide links to each connector and cable/wrap they ended up using?

Another CT Resident huh... try Redco Audio.  They're in Stratford, Ct.

Jan 10, 2011 at 11:05 AM Post #74 of 128

Quote:

The mini XLR that I use is here:  http://www.soundplugtw.com/products/mini-XLR-TQ-FLCH.htm For me it was the most important part of the cable because most of the mini XLR's have hard fit with the Mogami W2534. This black mini XLR have a different hard plastic inside that hold and support the cable better, and I've try 3 different ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back