AKG K701s
Nov 13, 2009 at 11:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Mato

100+ Head-Fier
Thinking about buying a pair of these.

Wondering whether listening to them through either my NAD C352 integrated amp or through a Beresford TC-7250 would be sufficient amping for them? Or would they need something more dedicated?

Also, can some people assure me these are great cans for listening to classical music (a lot of what i listen to is chamber music) which involve you in the music and make you feel as though you were there.

Thanks for the input,

Tom.

Nov 13, 2009 at 12:24 PM Post #2 of 16
I currently use a pair of K701 with TC-7520. AKGs are pretty nice headphones, but Beresford can't drive it properly, unfortunately. I haven't heard a NAD you own, but I think you'll need a dedicated amp anyways. At the moment, I'm thinking about getting one too, I heard that Shanling PH100 is pretty good and cheap amp for K701.

Nov 13, 2009 at 12:48 PM Post #3 of 16
Ok thanks.

Any comments on the headphones for my genre of music? Or suggestions of other headphones, perhaps ones which don't need a hefty amp?

Thanks.

Nov 13, 2009 at 3:16 PM Post #5 of 16
For your musical tastes the K701s are unbeatable. You will absolutely feel like you are there.

Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with the amps in question, but if the consensus is that they won't be sufficient for the K701, I'd consider finding something that is rather than switching over to different headphones... the AKGs will be far ahead for this type of music.

Nov 13, 2009 at 3:56 PM Post #6 of 16
You need to go to a place to hear it amped right. Maybe you could bring your system for A/B. Or just do what I did and build a system around the k-701s. I still do not have the right amp. I think ss is the way to go for them. I own two pair and love them all the time.
They are noted to be free of any color, but they do not sound like any other phone??

Nov 13, 2009 at 4:13 PM Post #7 of 16
I am what you would call a budget audiophile and attempted to make the k701 the hero of my system. Unfortunately, I tried dozens of budget amps to no avail. The least expensive amp I could find that worked well was over $300 used.

That said, sometimes this amp pairing conundrum is overstated. The k701 won't sound bad, per se, it will just not have the nice low end and full-spectrum balance it is capable of while being properly amped.

I actually reviewed the k701 for my blog: k701 Review

Nov 13, 2009 at 4:14 PM Post #8 of 16
The closest 'phone I have heard to their sound is the HD800, although *flamesuit on* because I know some hate that comparison. They do have a pretty unique presentation though - not much else sounds anything like them. And I think they're terrific - it's not until you hear the HD800 that you realize how much more 3D and grain-free a headphone can get.

Nov 13, 2009 at 4:17 PM Post #9 of 16
If you can afford a Heed Canamp there's probably very little chance you'll be disappointed. For the type of music you like, the K701 is very good.

Nov 13, 2009 at 5:06 PM Post #10 of 16
I own a K701 and HD800. People who listen to them back to back agree to the person that the K701 offers a more intimate, detailed sound for chamber and most classical. When it comes to more contemporary music, the HD800 renders the sound with more force, but the K701 is still a winner in my book.

Nov 13, 2009 at 6:21 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by carledwards /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you can afford a Heed Canamp there's probably very little chance you'll be disappointed.

You're right, K701 + CanAmp is a (relatively) inexpensive combo that is really hard to beat. And for chamber music AKGs are absolutely stunning.
k701smile.gif

Nov 13, 2009 at 6:41 PM Post #12 of 16
To the OP's question;

I have tried the K701 with my NAD C372 (evolution of the C352), and it sounds great. I have a very hard time hearing any difference with the Grace M902, and I really wanted to. LOL

Nov 13, 2009 at 6:47 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by denydog /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To the OP's question;

I have tried the K701 with my NAD C372 (evolution of the C352), and it sounds great. I have a very hard time hearing any difference with the Grace M902, and I really wanted to. LOL

This is another evidence that if only amplifiers have enough power to drive cans properly, there are rarely any significant audible differences between them.

Nov 13, 2009 at 7:10 PM Post #14 of 16
Among HD600s, Dt880, Stax2050 and K701 I always choose AKG for chamber music. Strings have wonderful textures and timbre with precise leading edge on every note which all other phones don't have, esspecialy stax. They give you fun listening to any well recorded acoustic music but for chamber they are best I heard including HD800. I would perhaps choose HD800 over 701s only for orchestral music but since I don't have them I use HD600 and only with poor recorded cds, otherwise AKG all the way.
k701smile.gif

Nov 13, 2009 at 10:19 PM Post #15 of 16
Just got in, and Wow, this has been really useful guys! Didn't expect such enthusiastic responses!!

I'm hoping to audition a pair of these tomorrow, but need to pick up a CD while I'm out (I'm currently living away from home and don't have any of my CDs with me). Any recommendations for any good classical recordings to audition these with? Preferrably looking for good sound quality in the recording.

Will probably audition the Sennheisers and anything else I come across too, but am enthusiastic about the K701s (or 702s - I believe they're the same except for the detatchable cable).

Thanks again guys, any responses on recordings would be great.

Tom.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back