AKG K701s' burn-in process
Oct 9, 2008 at 2:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

finoyvoy

Head-Fier
Hey, I'm rather new here, so bear with me if these questions are noob. I recently purchased a pair of brand new AKG K701s, which should arrive with in the next few days. I've already decided on getting the Travagan's White amp/dac, though I haven't gotten around to purchasing it yet. Since I made the decision to get the K701s, I've been reading about them and discovered that the recommended burn-in time for them was 470 hours. Currently I have a Creative X-Fi sound card, but no amp. My questions are:

-Is it ok to begin the burn-in process with just my sound card, or should I wait till I get my amp and use that?

-If I do begin the burn-in process without the amp, will there be any detrimental effects due an inferior burn-in process? (Assuming I did need the amp to do an optimal burn-in.)

-At about what volume should I burn them in at? Normal listening volume?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Oct 9, 2008 at 3:03 AM Post #2 of 10
frown.gif

Oct 9, 2008 at 3:04 AM Post #3 of 10
To answer your questions I have this to say.... it'll be fine as they have enough juice to drive them. I'm just going on what I've heard.

Though I do not believe in "burn-in"....

Oct 9, 2008 at 3:09 AM Post #4 of 10
-Is it ok to begin the burn-in process with just my sound card, or should I wait till I get my amp and use that?
Yes, that's fine...all you want to worry about is gettign the drivers to move back and forth, and to cause the voice coils to tighten.

-If I do begin the burn-in process without the amp, will there be any detrimental effects due an inferior burn-in process? (Assuming I did need the amp to do an optimal burn-in.)
Not really, other than you won't be burning your amp in at the same time, and you're using a signal that will perhaps have higher distortion.

I've always gone lower than listening levels for the first 24 hours, then a little above for the next 75% of the process, then a bit more (but not overly loud) for the rest.

Oct 9, 2008 at 3:16 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Golden Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, that's fine...all you want to worry about is gettign the drivers to move back and forth, and to cause the voice coils to tighten.

Not really, other than you won't be burning your amp in at the same time, and you're using a signal that will perhaps have higher distortion.

I've always gone lower than listening levels for the first 24 hours, then a little above for the next 75% of the process, then a bit more (but not overly loud) for the rest.

Oh wow, perfect. Thanks a lot for your help!
beerchug.gif

Oct 9, 2008 at 3:45 AM Post #6 of 10
No problem man, glad I could help. Enjoy them!

Oct 9, 2008 at 7:30 AM Post #7 of 10
No, it's 367 hours. Seriously, man, just use them and enjoy them. They sound great to start with and then they become fabulous -sounding. The top opens up, the bottom tightens. They are uncolored, balanced, detailed and highly realistic.

Oct 9, 2008 at 10:44 AM Post #10 of 10
My701's have done 150hours. Best burn-in solution - buy the BEST amp you can get. They will sound better IMMEDIATELY with a good amp, and will improve MORE instantly with a better and than a good amp. Hope this helps
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back