AKG K701 - WOO AUDIO 6 ARRIVED - do I need headphone amp or will regular one do the job?
Feb 22, 2008 at 8:51 AM Post #47 of 52
it seems Amazon has 2-3 different sellers to choose from, when you receive yours please tell of which one you chose and how it was...

What are going to use for amplification?

I am looking at iBasso, Lackerton, and BitHead from headroom.
But I am sure on the K701s, they seem to be the best.

Feb 24, 2008 at 10:55 AM Post #48 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Murcielago64 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it seems Amazon has 2-3 different sellers to choose from, when you receive yours please tell of which one you chose and how it was...

What are going to use for amplification?

I am looking at iBasso, Lackerton, and BitHead from headroom.
But I am sure on the K701s, they seem to be the best.

I got it from the AccessoryGenie seller ( default now i think)
Shipping was fast!
So far the k701s are a HUGE difference from my HD555s, Much more detail. I kinda miss the warm bass from the sennheisers tho. =\

amp...

Right now I'm using a crappy, built in, dac /amp --> logitech z-680.
I put myself on the list for a pico... now I just have to wait.
I was on the fence between the pico and the lisaIII, but I really really need a DAC. From what I've read.. I can always add a lisa to the mix later when I get more money.

Feb 24, 2008 at 11:29 AM Post #49 of 52
Well I'm happy everyone else is having such great results with the WA6/701 combo but a little disappointed I'm not getting the same. I think my downfall is a lower voltage source combined with a lot of source material that's recorded at lower levels. On the stuff I have that's recorded at a higher level the amp/cans combo really shines; I've always really liked the sonic signature of this setup. Unfortunately, on the stuff that is a little softer, I really miss the extra volume capability. I spoke with Jack and he says its an easy adjustment to increase the gain; unfortunately, I live in Tokyo and the shipping back and forth to him can be rough.

I asked Jack if he could email instructions on the gain adjustment but I'm still waiting on a response. If I could get the gain right I think I would consider sending it back to Jack for the full upgrade package but I want to make sure I like the stock version enough before I make the extra financial commitment.

Anyway, I definitely think this combo has potential, just needs a little tweaking!

Apr 2, 2008 at 6:32 PM Post #50 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kelbane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Murcielago64 : I just purchased some k701s from amazon.com

Amazon.com: AKG K701 Open-Back Studio Headphones with Flat-Wire Voice Coil: Electronics

I think i got a good deal at about $270.00

When I bought mine(18 months ago) I found some small company called Northern Sound and Lighting. They mostly sell stuff for dj's and studios, but they had the K701s at a price they couldnt show. I believe I paid $228. I am still shocked at the deal I got. I CANT WAIT FOR MY WOO6 TO BE BUILT AND ARRIVE!!!

Apr 6, 2008 at 3:32 AM Post #51 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Murcielago64 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would a HeadRoom BitHead be a good enough amp for the K701? Any suggestions for one that might be in the same price/feature range ? (usb dac+input <$200 )?

Also, where is a good place to purchase the k701?

I have Master Original since 2 years and I'm pretty satisfied with. I set the volume between 9 to 10 almost of all the time and I go to 11 o'clock sometimes.

Edit:
This amp don't have a dac.

Jun 12, 2009 at 10:16 AM Post #52 of 52
If your logitech has a powered headphone socket, like the Logitech L2300 which I use then, it should give plenty of power to drive the AKG's well. In fact my headphone socket gives a warm bass heavy sound which suits the AKG's very well. If your is similar it should sound good although a dedicated amp will be better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back