AKG K701 - WOO AUDIO 6 ARRIVED - do I need headphone amp or will regular one do the job?
Feb 11, 2008 at 2:25 PM Post #31 of 52
Hi all,
just to keep you all posted, my AKGs arrived couple days ago. And what can I say : I'm in love!!!

I'm sure you guys felt this before, when the veil lifts up and you can hear the music.

For the first time in my life I feel like I'm really listening to music.

What's the best part? Woo Audio is not even here yet!!! This is gonna be a blast

Jack said he will be shipping it out tommorrow, so lets give it one more week, and ill post some pictures for you...

Also I would love to hear from someone who upgraded their AKG701 cable to Equinox, is it worth all those money?

OMG i'm hooked to all this hi-fi stuff,
cu next time,
mike

Feb 11, 2008 at 3:29 PM Post #32 of 52
I'm waiting for my Equinox cable... it's been more than 3 weeks now. I'll let you know my impression later.

Feb 11, 2008 at 6:39 PM Post #33 of 52
Mike - congrats on your new headphones and amp. I'm a little behind you, but seem to be coming to the same conclusions after my own board research. I'm about ready to pull the trigger on the K701s and a Woo6. Been debating the upgrades back and forth. I'll probably go for it since I'm not one to muck with things once they're in place.

I'm looking forward to hearing how you like the Woo/701 combo!

Cheers,

BigA

Feb 11, 2008 at 6:46 PM Post #34 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mike - congrats on your new headphones and amp. I'm a little behind you, but seem to be coming to the same conclusions after my own board research. I'm about ready to pull the trigger on the K701s and a Woo6. Been debating the upgrades back and forth. I'll probably go for it since I'm not one to muck with things once they're in place.

I'm looking forward to hearing how you like the Woo/701 combo!

I'm totally satisfied with my stock WA6 with 701s.

I don't need it, but if you like to listen at high SPLs then you might talk to Jack about it. He can provide more gain if you need it. Most of my listening is in the 12 o'clock to 3 o'clock position on the volume control. My sources all provide plenty of gain for me.

Dave

Feb 11, 2008 at 8:10 PM Post #35 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by dcstep /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm totally satisfied with my stock WA6 with 701s.

I don't need it, but if you like to listen at high SPLs then you might talk to Jack about it. He can provide more gain if you need it. Most of my listening is in the 12 o'clock to 3 o'clock position on the volume control. My sources all provide plenty of gain for me.

Dave

Thanks, good to know!

Feb 12, 2008 at 1:02 AM Post #36 of 52
Give the 701s about three weeks non stop pink noise. This will break in the amp and the hps. You will really hear the soundstage firm up and the bass become impactful and overall better. Mine opened up on a friday and I ended up listening about a day and a half amazed at the beautiful sound.

Feb 12, 2008 at 6:52 PM Post #37 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by mike8787 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi guys,
thank for your replies so far.

Well I have made the first step and bought the phones (AKG K 701), I'm really excited
smily_headphones1.gif

I guess I'm just gonna try them with Logitech and if it's going to be crap (what i think it will), then I'll go ahead and buy that fancy WooAudio 6, i've been reading lot of threads that it goes well with that phones

Let's see how long does it take from States to UK...

I'm quite new to all this, and excited about all these options.

Thanks for help,
Mike

this thread might help http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/hea...mazing-241214/

am running Harman DVD-31 toslink into Harman AVR-145 into K701. perfect combo IMHO.

Feb 12, 2008 at 7:03 PM Post #38 of 52
The K701 does need burning in big time. I have had mine now for a few weeks and the bass has finally started to settle down deeper, and the treble is also more rounded compared to the sharpness from new.
As for the various reports that they need more juice: I would dispute that big time. I have been using them on my 5 Watts headamp and the K701 starts distorting long before my HD650. Are these things not rated at 300mW?
What the K701 DOES benefit from is headphone amps with a higher output voltage swing. My main headamp can deliver 20Vrms. My other amps around the house produces less than that, and the K701 performs in turn worse.
So according to my test results, you need more voltage across them, not more current. More current only causes them to distort earlier.

Feb 20, 2008 at 9:42 AM Post #39 of 52
Hi guys,
Woo Audio arrived today.

I'm heating it up now and will post comments very soon, + i made couple of photos which i'm going to upload probably this evening.

Stay tuned, more is coming
smily_headphones1.gif

Mike

Feb 20, 2008 at 10:55 AM Post #40 of 52
Looking forward to your impressions. I just got my WA6 yesterday and have been listening throughout the day. I guess I must be one of the deaf ones on this board because I max that baby out with my 701's and for a lot of my source material (admittedly recorded at lower levels) its just not loud enough. I've spoken with Jack about adjusting the gain so we'll see how that turns out. Excited to hear what you think.

Feb 21, 2008 at 4:55 AM Post #41 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigjppop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looking forward to your impressions. I just got my WA6 yesterday and have been listening throughout the day. I guess I must be one of the deaf ones on this board because I max that baby out with my 701's and for a lot of my source material (admittedly recorded at lower levels) its just not loud enough. I've spoken with Jack about adjusting the gain so we'll see how that turns out. Excited to hear what you think.

Well, I'd say with mine volume is just about right (WA6 + full upgrades)
I'm listening to it now.

Funny thing is when I listen to CDs comfortable level is around 12, crank up 3, if maxed its really loud, almost uncomfortable.
DVDs, movies volume is all the way up and it's just about right, although id like to have a bit more room if i would want to.

My first impressions are very positive, a great sound. Now I know what you guys here talk about.

Ill upload pictures tommorrow hopefully
smily_headphones1.gif

Mike

Feb 21, 2008 at 2:18 PM Post #42 of 52
Using my stock Woo WA6 I have to set the volume on my 701s about 25% higher for the same volume as my Audio Technica ATH-W5000s. If you've got source material recorded at low levels, then the Woo could limit you.

With most sources I listen to the 701s between the 12 o'clock and 3 o'clock settings.

Dave

Feb 21, 2008 at 2:40 PM Post #43 of 52
Same experience as you, Bigippop. Received my max'd WA6 on Tuesday, and I am running it at max volume level. Fortunately, that is a very comfortable long-term listening level for me, and I wouldn't want it much louder even if it were capable of doing so. Great detail, and non-fatiguing. In trying out two other sets of cans this a.m., I was able to back off to 2 o'clock to 3 o'clock positions (but the cans sounded like crap relative to the 701's!). I think I'll leave mine as-is for now.

Feb 21, 2008 at 5:10 PM Post #44 of 52
my dac puts out 2.25v max to my modded wa6 and my volume pot
range is from 8 o'clock to 1 o'clock where i can't bear any higher
volume...i guess the input signal strength is very determinate of
how the amp will function volume-sensitive-wise...

actually, if the top volume doesn't limit or compromise one's
listening enjoyment, the fact that you can make use of the
volume range from 8 o'clock to 4 o'clock is better than if you
only have useful range from 8 to 1...but of course, one can
always send it back to jack to have the volume gain adjusted...

have fun guys; with sufficient burn-in the soundstage and
resolution will improve...stock or maxed...the maxed takes much
longer...use a good power cord, like the volex 17604, to increase
dynamics and mid resolution...

Feb 22, 2008 at 5:25 AM Post #45 of 52
Would a HeadRoom BitHead be a good enough amp for the K701? Any suggestions for one that might be in the same price/feature range ? (usb dac+input <$200 )?

Also, where is a good place to purchase the k701?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back