AKG K701 with microamp or hornet?
May 2, 2007 at 3:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

yossarian1508

New Head-Fier
Being extremely new to the confusing range of options out there I am looking for a little advice. I have recently purchased a set of AKG K701's and am looking to buy an amp to get the most out of them. I am torn between the microamp and the hornet. Now I know everyone says HORNET for portability and battery life. As far as sound preference goes, it does seem to be a matter of preference (although the number of hornet fans out there is pretty overwhelming - do headroom fans congregate elsewhere?). My question is aimed at identifying WHICH OF THESE TWO AMPS IS BETTER SUITED TO THE K701'S? I will be listening through both an ipod and also a macbook pro.

Secondly, does such a setup warrant purchasing a MicroDac as well? Would the improvement on the macbook pro's audio out (and into an amp) be that much better?

Thirdly, if the MicroDac were added to the setup, would this change the relative value of the two amps I've mentioned? In particular, does matching two Headroom products sound better than pairing the Hornet with the MicroDac?

Hope there are some opinions on this.

May 2, 2007 at 9:05 AM Post #2 of 21
I don't know about the amps there, but I do know the DAC is worth getting. It is a very significant.. or should I say HUGE step up going from stock onboard soundcard to a DAC.. I use the Corda Aria's DAC for my K701 with good results and a Fubar2 on its way!!

May 2, 2007 at 9:20 AM Post #3 of 21
Do you need a portable amp? If not, then a desktop amp will sound better for the same price.

Whether you should add a DAC or not, ask yourself which you use more often, the iPod or notebook. Since the iPod does not have digital output, you couldn't take advantage of a DAC with the iPod.

Other than aesthetics ("Micro Stack"), pairing the two Headroom products does not offers any sonic advantages.

May 12, 2007 at 2:31 AM Post #4 of 21
I have a pair of AKG K701s that has been my office pair of headphones for about a year now. I listen to them at work on the MicroDAC + MicroAmp stack. I've been very happy.

I just received my Hornet in the mail today. (Thanks, Ray! That was fast. The stars were smiling upon me: I ordered mine on Monday, just before the big shipment came in.) I'll compare the Hornet to the MicroAmp at work next week, using my iAudio M5 headphone out to the MicroAmp or Hornet, and from thence to the K701s, and onwards to my ears. I'm confident I'll like them both, but I'll try to post more substantive comments.

In terms of size and portability, the MicroAmp is a behemoth compared to the Hornet (especially when you add in the DAC). The advantage of the MicroStack, on the other hand, is that it's a nice DAC + Amp combo for digital sources; the Hornet doesn't have the DAC.

I'd say the two setups are complementary: MicroStack for sedentary desktop use with a computer source, Hornet for today's on-the-go modern DAP.

Keep in mind my Hornet is brand new, while the MicroDAC probably has 200+ hours on it. I should really do the fair comparison a year from now. But others probably already have done such a match-up in this forum.

Edit postscript: A MicroStack is about twice the price of a Hornet. The more equitable comparison is just the MicroAmp to the Hornet (the Hornet is definitely more portable). As far as pairing the Hornet with the MicroDAC, I don't see why not, although others may be able to make an argument concerning the inherent compatibilities of two products from the same company, designed to work together.

May 14, 2007 at 10:43 PM Post #6 of 21
The esthetics of Micro Amp+ Micro Dac are a benefit
ie, used with your MacBook usb an excellent listening station and transportable.Headroom has a case well designed for portable use.I used this setup for many months before buying the desktop maxx and balanced amps.

May 15, 2007 at 1:18 AM Post #9 of 21
I don't have the K701, but I do have the K601 and a pair of DT880.

I prefer the warmer sound of the MicroAmp with the DT880, and I like the Hornet's sound with the K601. They all sound good, but those are my preferred configurations.

I also have the MicroDAC. That is one fine piece of audio gear!

May 15, 2007 at 1:45 AM Post #10 of 21
I listen to the K701s through the Micro Amp all day at work. It's a nice combination . I don't use the Micro as a portable so I can't comment about that, but I do have the Micro Bag and Micro Stack Bag to hold everything and transport it back and forth to work. It's a nice setup.

May 15, 2007 at 1:54 AM Post #11 of 21
I did a side by side of the K701 with a MicroAmp w/ 2006 Desktop Module and a Hornet. To me there was no comparison, the Hornet has better detail, punch, dynamics, and extension. Plus it is a true portable.

May 25, 2007 at 10:12 PM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I did a side by side of the K701 with a MicroAmp w/ 2006 Desktop Module and a Hornet. To me there was no comparison, the Hornet has better detail, punch, dynamics, and extension. Plus it is a true portable.

I just spent half an hour doing the same comparison (computer as source, Purcell's _Ten Sonatas in Four Parts_, a good mix of high highs and low lows). I came to the same conclusion.

For portable use: Hornet + AKG701. The micro stack is a little too macro to be truly portable.

For sedentary use with your computer: Micro DAC (or other DAC) + Hornet + AKG701.

I found the Hornet was a better amp when matched with the K701s; the bass was fuller without being muddy, the detail was sharper, and the overall range seemed to be greater. It just felt fuller, not quite so flat.

An argument could be made that the Hornet has a better synergy with headphones on the brighter, more analytical end of the spectrum: Ray Samuels designed the Hornet with high-end IEMs in mind, most of which lack in the darkness department, and need a little extra help down in the lower frequencies. So it's an amp that pairs naturally with brighter headphones, such as the K701s.

Not that I'm unhappy with the MicroStack; it's served me very well for the past year, and I have no plans to retire it. But I've always had the feeling that its designers were thinking of the HD650 when they were building it.

May 25, 2007 at 10:22 PM Post #13 of 21
Hmm, I've tried the Hornet and the MicroAmp side by side with the DT-880, but not with the K701. With the 880, I kind of preferred the MicroAmp. I've been trying the AE-2 with the K701 recently and I think they pair well; you may want to try that as another option. I like the design, especially that it has RCA and miniplug inputs.

May 25, 2007 at 10:31 PM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

I've been trying the AE-2 with the K701 recently and I think they pair well; you may want to try that as another option.

Not to hijack the thread or anything, but you've anticipated a question I was thinking of asking: what desktop amp pairs best with the K701s? I like what I have, but I can't escape the nagging feeling that the headphones aren't being exercised to their full potential. That could just be audiophilitis, though.

May 25, 2007 at 10:40 PM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by sgprater /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not to hijack the thread or anything, but you've anticipated a question I was thinking of asking: what desktop amp pairs best with the K701s? I like what I have, but I can't escape the nagging feeling that the headphones aren't being exercised to their full potential. That could just be audiophilitis, though.

Hmm. Well, the Gilmore Lite seems to be a fairly popular amp with it. I think it works with the 701 decently well. Something I'd be interested in trying is the PPA w/ Diamond Buffers and OPA655 (or 656 if 655 can't be obtained). Just make sure not to go over 12V with it. It seems like amb's beta22 is well regarded as well, although cost is pretty high to build one; buying one would presumably be substantially more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back