AKG K701 w/Revelation Audio Labs Cryo-Silver Reference Re-cable
Aug 8, 2007 at 3:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

pataburd

Headphoneus Supremus
The RAL re-cabled K701 arrived this morning. After only a few minutes' audition, I think they've unseated the "reigning champion all-arounder" RAL/Proline 750--and that's no small feat! The RAL/Proline 750 are still my favorite closed, mid-fi headphones, and their bass presence/carry is still their calling card; but the RAL/K701, in addition to being my favorite open cans, are also my favorite cans, period.

The RAL cable really puts "meat" on the (stock) bones of the K701 sound, but without in any way losing the detail, ease and richness that I'd already come to appreciate from the AKG. The K701 are now deliciously palpable, organic and more liquid-sounding, but without losing any speed, clarity or deftness. The sense of soundstage depth is also improved along with a judicious allocation of the musical space. Any allegations of "thinness" or "sterility" (which I personally felt were unfairly leveled at the stock K701 on many review threads in the first place) are gone, Gone, GONE! Drive this combination with a decent tube or hybrid amp and you'll be grinning indeed.*

The excellent, though arguably reticent, bass of the (stock) K701 is well-plumbed and expressed with more punch and verve with the RAL cable. In fact, the RAL/K701 sound more dynamic and vivacious in every respect! Midrange is absolutely captivating. I'm listening to Sarah Vaughn right now ("The Sweetest Sounds"), and oh what a delight! with the RAL/K701 faithfully capturing and releasing every vocal nuance to the tee. Highs come through with more texture and air, but without any loss of purity and extension.

After a somewhat lengthy and tortuous path (i.e. see my signature), I believe my search for the "right" headphones has reached its happy culmination with the RAL/K701. This cable simply takes what is inherent in the stock headphone design and brings it out in the best possible way(s). Better yet, it just gets out of the way and lets the K701 really shine and "strut their stuff." I already knew there was something very special about the stock AKG K701, but the RAL cable has rendered that innate specialness and potential with a fullness, freshness and musicality that these fine drivers truly deserve.

After allowing more time (maybe 150-200 hours) for full burn-in, the RAL/K701 will no doubt be my reference standard for weeks, months and--who knows?--perhaps years to come.

Thanks again, Brad, and Deo gratias! : )

*Review system: RAM-modded Samung HD-841 (w/MAC SPC power cord) -> MAC AgQ silver interconnect -> Darkvoice 336i (w/MAC HC power cord and 1x RCA 6AS7G & 1x Sylvania 6SN7GTB)

Aug 8, 2007 at 4:09 PM Post #2 of 41
BTW, I have a nice picture of the RAL/K701, if anyone is interested. Please e-mail me and I'll send you the image file. Unfortunately, I do not have enough space allocated to post the picture as-is on this thread, nor do I have the know-how to resize and post the picture (.JPG) within the given space restrictions for this post. : )

Aug 8, 2007 at 4:15 PM Post #3 of 41
a very ecstatic review.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 8, 2007 at 6:48 PM Post #4 of 41
True. First reviews--mine, anyway--usually veer toward the ecstatic(!).

However, after much meandering, I will soberly say that the RAL/K701, with my current gear train, are delivering the best these ears can remember hearing.

There may be room--given more burn-in time--for some additional bass deepening/focusing and midrange smoothing, but based on my past experiences with the RAL/HD650 and RAL/Proline re-cables, these impending improvements will, with high probability, come about in time.

Have been a/b-ing the RAL/K701 and RAL/Proline. They both sound great. The Prolines have a certain directness/frankness about them that's very special, too: a quality that seems to hardwire the listener to the music. With vocals especially, you have the (unsettling) sensation of not only being very NEAR the vocalist, but almost INSIDE the vocalist. They (the RAL/Proline 750) do lack the tonal/textural shading, and the spatial queueing of the RAL/K701, sounding a bit less "complete" in some respects. But, unquestionably, the Proline "own" the bass foundation and drive department. What we are weighing are the fundamental differences between open and closed design, perhaps more than the "betters" and "worses" of one maker (Ultrasone) versus another (AKG).

With the RAL, both the K701 and the Proline 750 really come into their own, can thereby be appreciated for what each is in its own right, and need not be conscripted to a somewhat strained and perhaps artificial list of comparisons, as many of us are wont to proclaim with "first-time" elation and bias.

Needless to say, I'm having a great listen--be it with the K701 or Proline 750, compliments of Revelation Audio Labs. : )

Aug 9, 2007 at 11:24 AM Post #15 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by pearljam5000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the cable costs as much as the headphones.
how much improvment, in precentage,did the cable make?

Seriously, I'd say the cost of the re-cable was proportional in improvement gained to the cost of the headphones, i.e. a 100% improvement. The RAL cable takes everything the stock K701 already do well and ramps it all up considerably. If you really like the stock K701, the cable investment is well worth it, IMM. : )

Still a 100 hours or so shy of full break-in, but am very happy with the RAL/K701 already. : )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back