AKG K701 vs. DT880 "old version"
Dec 21, 2005 at 9:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Axel

100+ Head-Fier
I want to spoil myself with a nice gift for the new year
biggrin.gif
Since these 2 'phones are pretty much "on sale" right now:
- The K701 because of the special introductory pricing - "Buy me ! I'm new !"
- The DT880 "old version" - "Buy me so I can make place for the '06 new collection"

I've read many threads/posts regarding these 'phones but I can't quite make up my mind which to buy. Important to add is that it isn't possible for me to audition these 'phones
frown.gif
- so I'll have to count on your opinions.

I mainly listen to classical music ( mostly piano ) and jazz, and will be driving them with my MPX3.

Any thoughts/opinions will be greatly appreciated !

Dec 21, 2005 at 9:50 PM Post #2 of 9
I see you have presently the 650/equinox, as I also do. I have owned the DT880, and now also own the K701. I've got to say that while the 880s are nice cans, they are not in the same league as the 650/eq or K701, in my opinion. With introductory pricing, the 701s are quite reasonable as well.

Word of caution, the 701s need a huge amount of break-in. I felt they were nearly unbearable for quite some time (around 300 hours), but after about 50 they improve a great deal. At 300 hours, they are beautiful.
smily_headphones1.gif

My $0.02 on it. Happy holidays!

Dec 21, 2005 at 10:09 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Voodoochile
Word of caution, the 701s need a huge amount of break-in.

And colour blindness to get by the hospital white colour choice
wink.gif
Why oh why did AKG chose to make them so nice looking, then kill it with a horrid colour choice
blink.gif

NOTE to AKG, change it to the 601 or even 501 colour and I'll bite.

Dec 21, 2005 at 10:11 PM Post #5 of 9
Thanks Voodoochile, and happy holidays to you to
600smile.gif

Thanks for the link Patu.

Dec 21, 2005 at 10:37 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

I see you have presently the 650/equinox, as I also do. I have owned the DT880, and now also own the K701. I've got to say that while the 880s are nice cans, they are not in the same league as the 650/eq or K701, in my opinion.

Just wanted to add an opinion I have on DT880 vs. HD580 (which isn't drastically different than HD650): IMHO, the DT880 is a much better chameleon than the Senns. I've noticed with my HD580 I can never forget I'm listening to recordings on a pair of headphones, no matter how nice it happens to sound. With DT880, I've had experiences where the headphones just seemed to vanish and I was hearing pure music -- and this was with entry level gear.

To me, this puts them in a different league than HD580, although I can't speak at all for the HD650. But you can figure that the HD650 has the Senn house sound also, which is always going to be there. DT880 has very little sound of its own, to my ears. It takes on the sound of the music, and the only "coloration" I hear is a tendency toward liveliness.

Just my ears, my gear and my opinion... FWIW and all that.

Dec 21, 2005 at 10:38 PM Post #7 of 9
I didn't read your signature first. You have very nice rig there. I think both of these cans would enjoy being paired up with your MPX3. DT880 is said to show its best with tubes and I'm sure that K701 does it too. My rig wasn't for K701.

Dec 21, 2005 at 11:43 PM Post #8 of 9
I like my 880's very much, but based on reviews, I hope the 701 bests the 880's in being more neutral in the highs while providing a good solid foundation of bass. The 880's are just ever so slightly brighter than neutral compared to its very deep and linear bass, which, even with a decent source, with some recordings, can sound a bit harsher than I would like.

Based on reviews, I hope the 701's straddle my HD600's (which make everything sound smooth, even if it isn't) and the 880's in terms of smoothness and bass impact.

However, the 880's are worth buying just because they may never be this cheap again, whereas the 701's may be the same cheap price again someday in the future.

Jan 11, 2006 at 12:35 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

I see you have presently the 650/equinox, as I also do. I have owned the DT880, and now also own the K701. I've got to say that while the 880s are nice cans, they are not in the same league as the 650/eq or K701, in my opinion. With introductory pricing, the 701s are quite reasonable as well.

Word of caution, the 701s need a huge amount of break-in. I felt they were nearly unbearable for quite some time (around 300 hours), but after about 50 they improve a great deal. At 300 hours, they are beautiful.
smily_headphones1.gif

My $0.02 on it. Happy holidays!

Hi Voodoochile,

I dont have equinox, but I figure we have a similarity in favoring smooth, lush sound without harshness. Do you think K701 compliments HD-650 well? I mean, is there a point in keeping both phones? which one would you pick if you only could take one out of the tow?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back