AKG K701- too good for iPod+iBasso T2
Jul 6, 2007 at 1:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

kamenal

Head-Fier
Hi,all! I need your input here. I have an iPod 4G+new iBassoT2 amp+ALO Cryo Dock. I am in need of a top notch can under $500 for mostly classical music. I hear, that AKG K701 and 501, Senns HD600, as well as AKG K271S (I know, closed) are all excellent for classical. I am after: 1. SQ-extremely important (I am after revealing and not too bassy, for chamber music, solo piano, as well as voice). 2.Isolation-much less important (although I like to be immersed into my music and undisturbed by noises inside the house). 3. Portability-almost unimportant. Considering, that I do not want to deal with lossless files, would any of those cans be an overkill? What would you, esteemed experts, do?
Thank you for your replies.

Jul 6, 2007 at 2:17 PM Post #2 of 16
AKG K701 are very power hungry in spite of low impedance, so a portable amp may have problems with driving them properly. HD 600 are closest to this approach because despite 300 ohm impedance they are quite efficient, at least play significantly louder from my DIY portable amp than K701 at the same voltage level adjusted.

Jul 6, 2007 at 2:42 PM Post #3 of 16
I love how the K701 sound with classical. I rate them higher than any of the Sennheisers for classical...but I am afraid your portable amp may not be sufficient to run the K701. As majkel said, they're kinda hard to drive. Even though my Xtra X-1 was able to drive them, but I need to turn the volume knob to almost max to get a decent sound.

Jul 6, 2007 at 5:10 PM Post #4 of 16
I have a Xin macro4 and run to 2 (8 to 6 on clock dial) for decent volume with the 701s. Above that, the amp starts to distort. If portability is un-important, I suggest getting a tube amp. The tube amp adds bass impact and warms the 701s. With my SP amp, I don't get it past 9 before it gets too loud. When listening to delicate music, the extra volume is great. The soundstage is very realistic and huge with orchestra.

Jul 6, 2007 at 8:45 PM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by tek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love how the K701 sound with classical. I rate them higher than any of the Sennheisers for classical.

same here. the senns dun even come close to the 701 for classical.

Jul 6, 2007 at 10:37 PM Post #6 of 16
701's scale amazingly well with gear and it seems that there is no upper limit, the potential is just huge. That said, I'd go with HD-600 with your setup - 701's are just too inefficient for the portable use, you wouldn't utilize but only the fraction of the potential these cans have.

I've compared K701 and HD-600 with similar portable setup and me and two of my friends all preferred HD-600, only one listener preferred K701. K701 came on top with juicier amps (we tested with Doge and Canamp) and better source (our alternative setup had Apogee Minidac) but nevertheless the recommendation in this case goes to HD-600, especially with classical music.

Jul 6, 2007 at 11:25 PM Post #7 of 16
I'm not sure what you mean. You can never have "too good" headphones. Transducer is arguably the most important part of sound quality, doesn't matter if you aren't going to play lossless or not - the better phone will give better sound regardless. The ones you list are great, try to listen to DT880 too.

Jul 6, 2007 at 11:44 PM Post #8 of 16
Have you checked out the AT-AD2000. Search and read up on it.

Jul 7, 2007 at 4:44 AM Post #9 of 16
i drive my k701s with c&c XO, if its volume you are worried about, with high gain + high impedance mode, you can get painfully loud with it, now whether it can fully drive the k701 headphones... i will put it this way, there hasn't been anything that I felt i wasn't hearing because of having a portable amp.

Jul 12, 2007 at 9:32 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It can't even drive my k240m, and you want it to drive k701? =]

Is that a no? A simple no would suffice.
Thanks
confused.gif

Jul 12, 2007 at 10:02 PM Post #13 of 16
Ya thats a no hahaha. In short iBasso T2 is not very powerful, it mostly helps color the sound, or provide more volume on easy to drive headphones. k701 is known for needing juice, so you would want something like Corda Move or something.

Jul 12, 2007 at 10:09 PM Post #14 of 16
Corda Move is on its way. I should get it within a week. Now, how about a K501? I had a chance to listen to them yeaserday and I prefer a K501 for its clarity, transparency and sounstage. Not much of a basshead, I listen to classical mostly. To my ears, a K701 is more mellow, darker, not as exiting.

Jul 12, 2007 at 10:13 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by kamenal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Corda Move is on its way.

< Dies. That was fast, congrats on purchase, its a nice one.

If you can get a k501, its an excellent purchase, especially for the 100ish going price. K701 is supposed to be more neutral, but hell, I don't know if it is. I don't like k701 much, no experience with k501.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back