AKG K701 purchase
Sep 12, 2009 at 2:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

the_equalizer

1000+ Head-Fier
Just to thank the people at HeadRoom for their speedy service. I ordered my AKG 701 the morning of Sept 2. They were shipped the same day!!. If the weekend had not come across I'd have had them in my hands on Sept 6!! But as it was I had to anxiously wait until Monday Sept 8, to finally get my hands on them.

This was my second purchase from HeadRoom and I think it certainly won't be the last. Thank you very much guys! I'm loving my new 'phones!

Cheers!

Sep 24, 2009 at 10:12 PM Post #3 of 7
I bought 702's from Headroom last week after an email exchange with Jorge as to what I might expect compared to my Senn 650's. He answered my questions, and his advice was on target. I love the 702's, and, as he said, their MicroAmp powers them well. I would not hesitate to buy from HR again, even though I paid slightly more than I would have from another online source--their customer service was worth it to me.

Sep 25, 2009 at 1:53 AM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by pbarach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bought 702's from Headroom last week after an email exchange with Jorge as to what I might expect compared to my Senn 650's. He answered my questions, and his advice was on target. I love the 702's, and, as he said, their MicroAmp powers them well. I would not hesitate to buy from HR again, even though I paid slightly more than I would have from another online source--their customer service was worth it to me.

So how did Jorge compare them. I've been considering trying the K702's....
evil_smiley.gif

Sep 25, 2009 at 2:42 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by aimlink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So how did Jorge compare them. I've been considering trying the K702's....
evil_smiley.gif

I told him that I have increasingly been bothered by the "dark" and muddy quality of the Senn's. I asked him if the AKG's would provide more transparency, and I also asked him if my Headroom Micro Amp (dating from 2006) would be sufficient to drive the 702's. He answered yes to both of these. He also told me that the newer version of the Micro would improve the sound of the Senn's, as would a cable change. But I decided to go with the 702's as the least expensive item to change, and I will make further changes as needed. I also realize that what I hear as "dark" in the Senns might reflect the state of my hearing, and it may also be that the 702's compensate adequately for that.

Even though the 702's aren't yet broken in (they are playing pink noise as I type this, for going on 48 hours so far), out of the box they were indeed more transparent and detailed in the mid-highs. This enables me to hear plenty of musical detail while playing the phones at a lower (and thus safer) volume than the Senns.

Having nothing to do with my hearing, which is fine in the midrange and below, the 702's did not have the midbass hump of the Senns that muddies things like the infamous Telarc bass drum and low brass.

Finally, the 702's fit my head better. For me, the Senns exert a steady amount of pressure all over their circumference, which means they are squeezing my temporomandibular (jaw) joint constantly. In contrast, on my head the 702's grip tighter near the tops of my ears and exert less pressure further down, which feels better to me. I can wear them for longer periods without thinking about them.

Sep 25, 2009 at 3:07 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by pbarach /img/forum/go_quote.gif

<snip>

Finally, the 702's fit my head better. For me, the Senns exert a steady amount of pressure all over their circumference, which means they are squeezing my temporomandibular (jaw) joint constantly. In contrast, on my head the 702's grip tighter near the tops of my ears and exert less pressure further down, which feels better to me. I can wear them for longer periods without thinking about them.

I agree. I've read many people complain about how unconfortable the 701's are, yet my experience is exactly the opposite: light as a feather, no clampling, no constant position adjustment, etc... in a word: great!

cheers!

Sep 25, 2009 at 3:28 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by the_equalizer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree. I've read many people complain about how unconfortable the 701's are, yet my experience is exactly the opposite

It must depend on the shape and size of the listener's head.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back